Thinkpad Goes Ryzen! Lenovo Adds Ryzen Pro To The Main Thinkpad Lineup

iamdarkyoshi

These are quite nice laptops. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Just pull the nipple off if you don't use it

Kinky???

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 5/8/2019 at 6:29 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

The price is pretty high at around 1K though. But when time is money, having a laptop that will last and can be more easily fixed really does make a difference.

Will you be buying one?

I may have missed some launches, however the T495 (not "s") the first Ryzen-based laptop I know of that does not skimp on any of the basics (no, I am not in favor of ultra-premium devices, it is just that previous Ryzen-based laptops always compromised beyond the limit on at least one key component, such as battery life, removable components, etc.).

What favorably surprises me, is that Lenovo is not overpricing (relatively to it's price category) the laptop in comparison to it's price category (ultra-premium), and their first Ryzen-based laptop was the worst, both in terms of pricing and quality, of the bunch.

Dell and Huawei respectively almost nabbed the spot, however even they skimped on a few key components (namely price, but also upgradability/repairability in the case of Huawei).

I wish someone would release a "Vostro 3568" (laptop with fewest compromises in the low-end, with a price tag that is not overpriced (the 3578 was a heavy disappointment to me, since the internals were almost completely unchanged (aside from CPU and chipset)) with a Ryzen mobile processor.

On 5/8/2019 at 6:41 PM, AluminiumTech said:

I should warn you though that ThinkPads seem to be getting continually worse. The Whiskey Lake and Ryzen ThinkPads don't even have upgradable RAM, a hallmark of traditional ThinkPads.

The Kaby Lake refresh ThinkPads were the last real ThinkPads IMHO, although they've certainly gone down in quality even before then.

You know what else they don't have? An SD card reader. Only microSD.

And another thing? Removable batteries.

And another? The T490s's RJ45 jack.

And another? Liquid drain ports.

I am so, so very disappointed. And I have no idea where else to turn for something even remotely resembling a real ThinkPad.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

19 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

You know what else they don't have? An SD card reader. Only microSD.

And another thing? Removable batteries.

And another? The T490s's RJ45 jack.

And another? Liquid drain ports.

I am so, so very disappointed. And I have no idea where else to turn for something even remotely resembling a real ThinkPad.

HP Elitebooks don't seem too bad for a replacement although I have no idea on if they have liquid drain ports.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 5/9/2019 at 1:41 AM, AluminiumTech said:

I should warn you though that Thinkpads seem to be getting continually worse. The Whiskey lake and Ryzen thinkpads don't even have upgradable RAM, a hallmark of traditional Thinkpads.

The kaby lake refresh Thinkpads were the last real thinkpads imho although they've certainly gone down in quality even before then.

The T-series (excluding "s" variants) should have upgradeable RAM.

Case in point, the T490 should have SODIMM slots, however the T490s probably has soldered RAM (hence the "s").

This is based upon Lenovo's naming scheme in the past decade or so.

Too bad they got rid of the dual battery in the new versions.

I'm still going to buy a T480 instead.

9 hours ago, moriel5 said:

The T-series (excluding "s" variants) should have upgradeable RAM.

Case in point, the T490 should have SODIMM slots, however the T490s probably has soldered RAM (hence the "s").

This is based upon Lenovo's naming scheme in the past decade or so.

I'm aware however the x90 series loses one RAM slot on the T lineup.

So it's half soldered ram and the other half 1 ram slot.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm aware however the x90 series loses one RAM slot on the T lineup.

So it's half soldered ram and the other half 1 ram slot.

Correct, that is what I had seen on all "s" variants