New/Updated Audio-Technica Headphones (M20x, M30x, M40x, M50x)

Article: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/c35da94027e94819/index.html

Audio-Technica has updated their sub $200 headphones with new features such as a newer design and a detachable cable. Price: $170

You can pre-order the new versions from: 

Black: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50x

White: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50WHx

Blue/Brown: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50BLx

new_mseries_home.jpg

ATH-M50x

As the most critically acclaimed model in the M-Series line, the ATH-M50 is praised by top audio engineers and pro audio reviewers year after year. Now, the ATH-M50x professional monitor headphones feature the same coveted sonic signature, with the added feature of detachable cables. From the large aperture drivers, sound isolating earcups and robust construction, the M50x provides an unmatched experience for the most critical audio professionals. 

Also available in white (ATH-M50xWH) and limited edition blue (ATH-M50xBL). 

I really don't see why they are releasing this version as you could already get a mod for the detachable cable and their price is not justifiable. Their is also a difference with the white edition as they now use white ear pads as opposed to the grey used in the non-x versions.

ATH_M50xWH_2_sq.jpg

ATH_M50xBL_2_sq.jpgATH_M50x_6_sq.jpgATH_M50x_5_sq.jpgATH_M50x_4_sq.jpg

ATH_M50x_2_sq.jpg

Yes please...

Take all my money!

BTW they look a lot like the Bitfenix Flo...

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

omgggg detachable cables

Lol, m50 was never worth it the day it's price rose above $105, unless this revision is substantially better there is no way any informed customer would pay $170 for it

Lol, m50 was never worth it the day it's price rose above $105, unless this revision is substantially better there is no way any informed customer would pay $170 for it

I agree, stuff like V-Moda, Grado, and Shure have much better stuff.

hooray they looked good but everytime i say the non detachable cable i just couldnt let myself or anyone else get them because its such a shame to loose a pair of headphones because of a cable it really should be illegal not to have a detachable cable imo.

Removable but proprietary cables...

assholes

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

My wallet is empty, time to find a way to get them.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Darn, I just bought my M50's not two weeks ago.

Couldn't you get a refund then and return them for these new ones?

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Removable but proprietary cables...

assholes

I could care less so long as I don't have to replace the entire damn thing when I inevitably short the cable.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Yes please...

Take all my money!

BTW they look a lot like the Bitfenix Flo...

If anything it's the other way round: the Bitfenix Flo look like M50s

I could care less so long as I don't have to replace the entire damn thing when I inevitably short the cable.

You could care less or you couldn't care less?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Meh, got my pair of M50's with the mod to detach the cable for ~$100.

Will look at these though and see if there is an improvement.

Couldn't you get a refund then and return them for these new ones?

I might be able to but I got them on sale on Amazon and the M50X's are only available for pre-order through Audiotechnica and they are also twice what I payed for my M50's.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

You could care less or you couldn't care less?

I think you understood my meaning, grammar nazi.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I might be able to but I got them on sale on Amazon and the M50X's are only available for pre-order through Audiotechnica and they are also twice what I payed for my M50's.

That sucks.  :(

My PC specifications are in my profile.

That sucks.  :(

It could be worse. The only really difference I have found between the M50's and the M50X's is the detachable cable which I don't really. We won't find out if there is a sound quality difference until they hit the market.

The Lord's Prayer

Should i buy beats or should i buy M50x's? :huh:  :huh: 

Beats  r more expencive but they have greate bass and sound but i almost know nothing about the audio technica ones pls help me :D  :wub: 

Beats  r more expencive but they have greate bass and sound but i almost know nothing about the audio technica ones pls help me :D  :wub:

Please don't buy Beats, even if you just want the bass it is not worth it. Beats rip you off by selling expensive shit that doesn't sound good. I would recommend the M50s over the Beats but please research into headphones and see what is right for you. The M50s have amazing build quality even though it is made out of plastic but they are still expensive compared to other options such as:

- Berodynamic Custom One Pros (NCIX has/had them on sale for $170 once)

- Shure 440 (Great quality headset for about $100)

- Shure 840 (Definitely a good headset at $200ish, better than the Shure 440 in every way)

- V-Moda Crossfade LP (At $150 or something, it is one of the best headphones, I've even seen it on sale at Amazon for $70)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

Just FYI, the ATH-M50x and ATH-M20x are no longer pre-order - they are in stock now on our website. Thanks

Chris Carfagno

The Sound Professionals

www.soundprofessionals.com

M50x's are sooooo much better it's not even funny. Don't waste your money on the beats.

The Lord's Prayer

That's not even remotely true. The M50's are widely considered to be one of the best headphones at their price point, and even at $170 still beat out a ton of options for way more money than that... yes Sennheiser and Shure both make some very competitive alternatives, but the M50's are well and reasonably respected as competitive... in fact I think they are better, and use them weekly when mixing. 

As with everything, application matters -- when I'm sitting at home listening to music, Grado's may make more sense for less money... however, I don't just sit at home and listen to music, I (and the many, many other industry pro's who own M50's) need quality audio in loud environments from a multitude of sources -- so closed back with low impedance. 

they are acoustically the same, which any "informed customer" would be aware that these companies rarely stop making successful designs. There's a reason I can still go buy SM58's as my stage mics after decades of availability... 

I'm not saying they're the best thing out there... heck, I don't advise just owning one paid of headphones if you can help it (it's always worth experiencing Open back designs if you haven't). But to say that no informed consumer would pay $170 for these is absurd. 

Meh, got my pair of M50's with the mod to detach the cable for ~$100.

Will look at these though and see if there is an improvement.

It could be worse. The only really difference I have found between the M50's and the M50X's is the detachable cable which I don't really. We won't find out if there is a sound quality difference until they hit the market.

The press release states they are the same acoustic design.

Please don't help buy Dre's next yacht. 

There are alot of great options, If the detachable cable means nothing to you, the M50 (non -X's) are great options, along with a lot of others... you can't go wrong with anything on this list. http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/10-best-headphones.php ...but knowing how you want to use them, and what type of sound you expect is pretty crucial in deciding. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at m50's. I currently have vmoda LPs but the cups are too small for my ears. I did the tissue mod and it helps but they still hurt my ears after a while.

Has anyone tryed both lps and m50/x to know if they are deeper.

Unfortunately where I live I am not able to try them before buying. (shops here only stock beats).

i7 5820k, Asus X99 Pro, 16GB Muskin Blackline, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Air 540, Samsung SM951 256GB M.2, Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate 3TB, Ducky shine 4 MX clear & brown, Logitech G700s, Asus PB278q