Looking for a budget to midrange 3D printer

iamdarkyoshi

My el cheapo printer has just been to irritating to use, fix one thing and another thing breaks. So I'm looking to buy a replacement to it.

Requirements:

Auto leveling, preferably with a microswitch since inductive based ones are a little hard to make work

Glass printbed

Heated printbed

At least 200x200x200mm print volume

Non crap construction (no MDF and zip ties like the Twoup 3D printer... ech)

Direct drive, no bowden

1.75mm filament

Wants:

Support for a Flexion extruder should I want to use one in the future

Kit style unit, where I get to assemble it

Ability to use Octoprint 

Doesn't really matter:

Electrical safety,  I plan to use my own power supply and safen things that need it, like I did on my current one

Dual filament, it'd be cool but I don't see myself using it

Loading G code off flash drive or (micro)SD doesn't really matter, I can use either if octoprint isn't supported

I'd like to see what is available at different price points, so I'm not listing a fixed price range yet. Lower cost is always better but not if it compromises something critical.

13 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

What budget? The only things I'd really recommend are just i3 clones, but direct drive is going to be an issue, though there are some upgrade kit options, although that maybe isn't the best option since the printer isn't built around that.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I've been using the Creality CR-10. You have to level the platform manually though. Dimensions are 300x300x400. May not be in your realm of "cheap" though.

7 minutes ago, Skanky Sylveon said:

There's plenty of i3 clones now that do the same thing for $200-$300, past that I'd recommend buying some kind of specialty printer, like a CR-10 S5 for the massive build volume at around the same price as the prusa i3.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, Skanky Sylveon said:

https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/180-original-prusa-i3-mk3-kit.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw8LTmBRBCEiwAbhh-6CdPZNhS8UtdlL2zGcUkwOVt0xZxFOAvlWZDOr-oPmBPmpgNCCAeaBoCEo8QAvD_BwE

Has just about everything you want except the glass build plate.

The build plate is magnetic and thus easily removable though. 

The reason I was hoping for a glass plate is because I tend to just print straight onto glass. If you clean the surface well enough, the print will stick very well while hot, but literally lift right off when cold. Requires no application of glue or whatever, and there's no scraping or anything when removing parts.

Might be worth trying their build plate though

40 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

The reason I was hoping for a glass plate is because I tend to just print straight onto glass. If you clean the surface well enough, the print will stick very well while hot, but literally lift right off when cold. Requires no application of glue or whatever, and there's no scraping or anything when removing parts.

Might be worth trying their build plate though

So what's your budget for the printer? Flexible filament can be printed without direct drive nowadays depending on the one you buy.

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

So what's your budget for the printer? Flexible filament can be printed without direct drive nowadays depending on the one you buy.

Was hoping for like 200-300$. The one I have right now was 150$ and before I messed it up with penny pinching upgrades, it worked fine out of the box but was just missing auto leveling

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Was hoping for like 200-300$. The one I have right now was 150$ and before I messed it up with penny pinching upgrades, it worked fine out of the box but was just missing auto leveling

That only gives you the budget for either an Ender 3, or an Anycubic i3 mega/4Max

Probably just go for the 4max, they're typically cheaper on ebay, just look for a good seller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-STOCK-ANYCUBIC-3D-Printer-i3-Mega-4MAX-DIY-Large-Print-Size-High-Precision/263949447865?hash=item3d749cf2b9:m:mEyiP9BztF-iokIS0bJP75A

Spoiler

go ender3 for $170ish

24volt, print as-is and save for a glass upgrade for later (or get a mirror tile cut down).

i like my 10minis but the ender is a great starter, stable and upgradable.

unless your doing large coplay prints or just find large stuff cooler to build, 230/230/250 usually fits most tinkerer's.

auto leveling seems to be more of a PIA than other lead to.. especially with doubtful purchases.

i still use manual leveling. unless you are wrestling the prints off the bed, really no need to keep readjusting your level (unless you using obnoxious bed temps for adhesion).

IPA and aquanet spray hold my PETG prints. if its smaller than 5mm then use a raft.

just wrapped up a 36hr testing for mk3 printed parts

its all in the slicer and how the parts are designed for how the machine will react.