Tell me about how awesome your external GPU enclosure is!

Skeeter

Or how crap it is, I don't mind.

I have a TB3 laptop (XPS15), my GF has a TB3 laptop (XPS13), and I have an aging gaming PC. Scrapping the PC and getting an eGPU could provide a nice single cable TB3 dock for the laptops when working, and also be a gaming PC when needed.

So I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with them. I will be gaming at 1080p currently and maybe 1440p in the future, but not 4k. I know they take a performance hit over a GPU in a full PC, but I'm happy with that.

A couple of things I'm curious about are having my games library installed on an external drive attached to the eGPU enclosure, will my laptop cry about it when not connected to it? And how well do eGPU setups work for VR? One of the reasons behind considering it is being able to move it about in my house for some room scale VR (my office is small).

Thanks!

Don't have any.

I'll just sit by and watch...

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

same as SupaKomputa

though are meant to be quite good if you choose a good brand

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

4 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Don't have any.

I'll just sit by and watch...

2 hours ago, Ben17 said:

same as SupaKomputa

though are meant to be quite good if you choose a good brand

This is the odd thing about them. They seem cool and I really like the idea, and lots of reviewers and YouTubers seem pretty positive about them (the good ones, like you say Ben17), but I don't know anyone who actually has one and struggle to find any normal people online who do either. They seem to be very niche.