Sleeved Cables vs Stock Cables

valvoa

Hello all, 

I'm looking for a bit of feedback. I've read many unpleasant reviews regarding sleeved cable extensions frying GPU's and not being reliable so I'm leaning more towards fully sleeved cables. Question is how reliable are sleeved cables such as CableMod vs the stock cables you PSU comes with? Mine being Corsair RM750x Cables.

Is there a chance with even fully sleeved cables that they might be unreliable or even have the potential to fry your GPU? 100 bucks for the pro Cablemod line isn't cheap but are they worth it in terms of safety and quality? Also what do you use? Thanks!

You shouldn't need it if you've got a good PSU like the one you have. It's probably just for some very specific cheap ass PSUs

1 minute ago, Sychic said:

You shouldn't need it if you've got a good PSU like the one you have. It's probably just for some very specific cheap ass PSUs

My bad, I don't actually need the sleeved cables I just would like it to look a little cleaner then the stock cables. Corsair GPU cables especially are super bulky and don't look the greatest, but I'm concerned about the stability of 3rd party cables. 

Just now, valvoa said:

My bad, I don't actually need the sleeved cables I just would like it to look a little cleaner then the stock cables. Corsair GPU cables especially are super bulky and don't look the greatest, but I'm concerned about the stability of 3rd party cables. 

As long as it's from a high quality manufacturer, it will be great. Cable Mod does make some good cables and they should have warranty if they fail

The fried GPUs are probably from people using messed up extensions or they are blaming their PSU killing shit on the extensions. Cablemod is safe, just make sure you get cables that fit your PSU by selecting the right one before you order :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

41 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The fried GPUs are probably from people using messed up extensions or they are blaming their PSU killing shit on the extensions. Cablemod is safe, just make sure you get cables that fit your PSU by selecting the right one before you order :)

Are extensions safe as well or should I only be considering full cables? Thanks

1 minute ago, valvoa said:

Are extensions safe as well or should I only be considering full cables? Thanks

Extensions are fine generally, but ebay ones are unknown quality.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016