2x2 video wall

Has anyone ever made a 2x2 video wall with 4 TV's? We want to replace an old projector at work with some screens but the room is so big that we'll probably need a 100+" screen and for some reason when you go above 86" the price of TV's gets INSANE. It doesn't need to be insanely beautiful or anything (as much as we want to, it would be too much headache and way too expensive to get quadros and a sync card.. plus this will probably literally only be used for powerpoints and basic videos), tv's alone would be better than projector in a bright room. We have a decent budget but nothing too crazy... Maybe $12-15k at most but that's including some other things we need...

I was thinking 4 55" screens with one of these guys... https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Selector-Picture-Multiviewer-RJ-UD22/dp/B07KY5BMPR/ref=sr_1_15_sspa?keywords=3x3%2Bvideo%2Bwall%2Bcontroller&qid=1556313151&s=electronics&sr=1-15-spons&th=1

bezels might be a problem though.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I think some LG TV has a feature that can daisy chain multiple tv.

I don't remember which one, but you can just chain them with hdmi ports.

That matrix board is also a good choice.

Or have a GPU with 4 output, like RX580 and use the Eyefinity feature to sticth them up.

Bezelless TV can be a problem, its expensive.

If you don't mind a small devider, you can remove the case completely.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Has anyone ever made a 2x2 video wall with 4 TV's? We want to replace an old projector at work with some screens but the room is so big that we'll probably need a 100+" screen and for some reason when you go above 86" the price of TV's gets INSANE. It doesn't need to be insanely beautiful or anything (as much as we want to, it would be too much headache and way too expensive to get quadros and a sync card.. plus this will probably literally only be used for powerpoints and basic videos), tv's alone would be better than projector in a bright room. We have a decent budget but nothing too crazy... Maybe $12-15k at most but that's including some other things we need...

I was thinking 4 55" screens with one of these guys... https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Selector-Picture-Multiviewer-RJ-UD22/dp/B07KY5BMPR/ref=sr_1_15_sspa?keywords=3x3%2Bvideo%2Bwall%2Bcontroller&qid=1556313151&s=electronics&sr=1-15-spons&th=1

if you have a pc with 4 display outs, then you can config the displays in windows to be a 2x2

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

A cheap nvidia or AMD GPU with 4 outputs will be able to run it fine.

Just plug all 4 TVs directly into the computer.

You may need some DVI or DP to HDMI adapters, and if the TVs are 4k then you need to use DP to HDMI 2.0 adapters.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

22 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I think some LG TV has a feature that can daisy chain multiple tv.

I don't remember which one, but you can just chain them with hdmi ports.

That matrix board is also a good choice.

Or have a GPU with 4 output, like RX580 and use the Eyefinity feature to sticth them up.

Bezelless TV can be a problem, its expensive.

If you don't mind a small devider, you can remove the case completely.

removing the casing isn't such a bad idea.. lot of work though and RIP (albeit short) warranty.. doubt they would like that.

20 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

if you have a pc with 4 display outs, then you can config the displays in windows to be a 2x2

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

A cheap nvidia or AMD GPU with 4 outputs will be able to run it fine.

Just plug all 4 TVs directly into the computer.

You may need some DVI or DP to HDMI adapters, and if the TVs are 4k then you need to use DP to HDMI 2.0 adapters.

Ok the issue is we want anyone to be able to say... plug in their laptop and these 4 screens be seen as one screen to their PC. Which is the point of that box from amazon I believe.

I wish we could have a dedicated PC for this, but it's not a good of an experience if we have a guest that comes in who wants to present and they HAVE to use our one machine.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Ok the issue is we want anyone to be able to say... plug in their laptop and these 4 screens be seen as one screen to their PC. Which is the point of that box from amazon I believe.

I wish we could have a dedicated PC for this, but it's not a good of an experience if we have a guest that comes in who wants to present and they HAVE to use our one machine.

So the one image is cut up in quarters and displayed on each tv.. right i get you know. something like the product you linked is probably needed then.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

removing the casing isn't such a bad idea.. lot of work though and RIP (albeit short) warranty.. doubt they would like that.

Oh then yeah, that will do what you want, you're just limited to 1080p tvs.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Oh then yeah, that will do what you want, you're just limited to 1080p tvs.

yeah, sucks. But it'll probably be ok considering the size of the room..

I'm just worried about the bezels...commerical displays with tiny bezels are insanely expensive.. like $5-6k for a 55" panel lol

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

yeah, sucks. But it'll probably be ok considering the size of the room..

I'm just worried about the bezels...commerical displays with tiny bezels are insanely expensive.. like $5-6k for a 55" panel lol

Some consumer tvs have very thin bezels, although they're usually 4k screens since not that many people do 1080p anymore.

rtings.com has a bunch of reviews

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Some consumer tvs have very thin bezels, although they're usually 4k screens since not that many people do 1080p anymore.

rtings.com has a bunch of reviews

well it could be a 4k tv.. we just wont be using it in 4K which is fine..

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

well it could be a 4k tv.. we just wont be using it in 4K which is fine..

Yeah true.

Spoiler

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Because this is for work, and you've mentioned in the comments that you might have guests needing the use the equipment, the best solution is going to be to get a new, better projector.

Dealing with the hassle of finding a solution that syncs all the screens, mounts on the wall properly, doesn't have enormous bezels, AND is within your pricepoint is not worth it.

Get a new ultra-bright projector, pair with a SnoMatte 100 from Stewart, and you'll save yourself a ton of time and headaches, especially down the road when you'd have to deal with the screens not syncing or the lack of bezels destroying the edge of one of the panels.

Having a single solution that just *works*, even if it's slightly more expensive in the initial outlay, is worth it.

10 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

Because this is for work, and you've mentioned in the comments that you might have guests needing the use the equipment, the best solution is going to be to get a new, better projector.

Dealing with the hassle of finding a solution that syncs all the screens, mounts on the wall properly, doesn't have enormous bezels, AND is within your pricepoint is not worth it.

Get a new ultra-bright projector, pair with a SnoMatte 100 from Stewart, and you'll save yourself a ton of time and headaches, especially down the road when you'd have to deal with the screens not syncing or the lack of bezels destroying the edge of one of the panels.

Having a single solution that just *works*, even if it's slightly more expensive in the initial outlay, is worth it.

Ok, well what do you recommend for a projector then?

Spoiler