Gigabit (shared) connection in Olds, AB. for way too cheap

Original story:
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.1382428

Sorry for mobile link - can't seem to find story on main news site.

A small community-improvement nonprofit in Olds has partnered with the government to supply the townsfolk of Olds with shared Gigabit connections.  The cost is about $60-100/month, about half of what I pay currently for my shaw 50mbit.  Residential users will be sharing bandwidth among about 4-5 households on each gigabit fiber line at worst.  Guaranteed 1000Mbit dedicated business connection can be had for $5000/month. 

I'd love to see real world numbers now that its rolling out with proper benchmarks; especially on upload rates which cripple my youtube sharing experience here in Calgary.  My neighborhood is strung with fiber here in Calgary but it'll remain dark for another decade I imagine.  I guess the benefit of small town infrastructure is there is a lot less to install!

In a world where the blind leads the blind, who do you follow?

i5 3570K @ 4.3, Dual GTX780, 3x 1080 27" samsung cheap displays.

512 Samsung SSD with 1TB green, 2TB green, and 2x3TB Red, 4x4TB Red.

I can get gigabit for $18.Beat that!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

can i trow my cat 6 cable to your router please T_T

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The obvious hurdle is you could fit Romania into Canada...a few times over...41 in fact...

238,391 km²
Romania, Area

9,984,670 km²
Canada, Area

And the populations, 21 million to 34.9 million Canada, we have 60% more people to get bits to, spread over (since the north is uninhabited mostly) call it 10-30 times the distance.

...it makes sense that internet here is 16x-100x as expensive.

In a world where the blind leads the blind, who do you follow?

i5 3570K @ 4.3, Dual GTX780, 3x 1080 27" samsung cheap displays.

512 Samsung SSD with 1TB green, 2TB green, and 2x3TB Red, 4x4TB Red.