Building this for my cousin

Yeun7

Hey guys so i am trying to help my cousin build his first rig. Hes 16yr old kid right now im forcing him to learn as much as he can about the parts and how to build off linus and other youtubers. I basically jumped the gun and bought most of the parts ahead without him knowing since hes taking forever to do his research with school and all. Right now i have this build set up

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Yeun7/saved/2R9pGX

I was wondering if i should wait on the cpu i think i am getting a pretty good deal. Everything is basically going to cost around $1,200 for the build. If there is anything else you guys would change lmk would love to hear what i could improve on for him. I am still going to make him pick out the parts too because i really want to see what he comes up with too.

14 minutes ago, Yeun7 said:

im forcing him to learn as much as he can about the parts and how to build off linus and other youtubers.

14 minutes ago, Yeun7 said:

I am still going to make him pick out the parts too because i really want to see what he comes up with too

yeah i remember the linus video where he told people to buy other people computers without their knowledge and force them to learn about computers and make them put their own build list together regardless of the fact that their machine already exists.

that was a good linus video

15 minutes ago, Yeun7 said:

Everything is basically going to cost around $1,200 for the build

The 1080 Ti costs that much on its own?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

the 1080ti im getting is $450 cant really pass up an offer like that and let it wait around. Pretty crazy the stuff you can find on the used market, also using a used 1080ti myself in my own personal rig too.

12 hours ago, Yeun7 said:

I basically jumped the gun and bought most of the parts ahead without him knowing

How much of it have you bought already?

20 minutes ago, celerystruct said:

How much of it have you bought already?

Got the gpu $450

On the Fence about the cpu/mobo/cooler $500 all 3 (mainly thinking about waiting to see how the new ryzens are, but this is a hard offer to passup on)

Psu: $45

Ssd: got a while back

HDD: is from his old prebuilt

Ram: Thinking about parting it from my rig

Peripherals: all his own

Edit: Forgot about the case, lianli one is a placeholder

27 minutes ago, Yeun7 said:

Got the gpu $450

On the Fence about the cpu/mobo/cooler $500 all 3 (mainly thinking about waiting to see how the new ryzens are, but this is a hard offer to passup on)

Psu: $45

Ssd: got a while back

HDD: is from his old prebuilt

Ram: Thinking about parting it from my rig

Peripherals: all his own

Edit: Forgot about the case, lianli one is a placeholder

Why don't you hold off and let your cousin pick the rest? The GPU can be a nice gift for him after he picks something out.

Yeah thats mainly the point of the post, if i should go for the good deal now or wait for the new ryzen while hes looking stuff up.

3 minutes ago, Yeun7 said:

Yeah thats mainly the point of the post, if i should go for the good deal now or wait for the new ryzen while hes looking stuff up.

That's hard for anyone to answer really. But if the point of this is for him to pick out parts for his pc then shouldn't you let him do the bargain hunting? or at least bargain hunt based on what he asks for? If you just want to build a pc just build it for him. if you want him to learn than actually let him learn.