AMD CPU/GPU work better together then a AMD GPU on a Intel system?

stuhazie

i've heard this long ago and have wondered if it was true
Is it actually true that a AMD graphics card will work better on a AMD CPU vs a Intel one of equivalent performance?
for example a rx580 and a 2700x works better then the same rx580 on a i7 8700?

i have a decent PC already not really after build advice
more interested to If amd actually have done something to there cpus so that if you have a AMD gpu it loads data into it how the gpu likes it rather then just doing what cpu's do if you get me i figure it would only be ever so slightly different and mainly with how it works not so much a performance gain if there was a gain it would be like 0.1% but i'm interested to see if there is actually any benefit to going AMD - AMD gpu and cpu even if the gpu and cpu communicate better i wanna know if it happens

1 minute ago, stuhazie said:

i have a decent PC already not really after build advice
more interested to If amd actually have done something to there cpus so that if you have a AMD gpu it loads data into it how the gpu likes it rather then just doing what cpu's do if you get me i figure it would only be ever so slightly different and mainly with how it works not so much a performance gain if there was a gain it would be like 0.1% but i'm interested to see if there is actually any benefit to going AMD - AMD gpu and cpu even if the gpu and cpu communicate better i wanna know if it happens

Why would that happen? There are communication standards and protocols, and the gpu and cpu must follow those.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

like intel are making a GPU, they already have CPU's
if AMD have a thing where a AMD GPU and CPU work better together and that doesn't mean extra performance it just means it works better together
maybe intel will have a similar thing and that will make people want to get intel cpu's and gpus rather then a different company 

its just been said for years as a fact that a Nvidia GPU works better with Intel and a AMD GPU will work better with a AMD CPU
even with the protocols they have they might be doing a little something where a new protocol is used if they can identify that your cpu and gpu can co exist better because its the same manufacturer 

as i said just curious if there was any facts to this
would a AMD GPU work better with a AMD CPU even if they just work better together like less latency or different protocols because the brand knows it can use them.
i get that it's more then likely not true but hell i think it's work looking at to see if even a slight part of it was true

afaik there is/was a difference of nvidia gpus working better with intel cpus than amd cpus. other than that i dont think there was anything else

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

What is this, apple? No. There are no ecosystems here, thankfully. 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

Maybe (and I say MAYBE, I don't really know for sure) the fact that an all AMD system has a unified driver could help a little.

I mean, if you have and AMD CPU and GPU you'd only use one driver package for chipset and video and that's the Radeon Crimson one. While if you had an AMD CPU and an Nvidia GPU you'd already have to use two very different packages. Same with an Intel CPU and any kind of GPU out there.

That being said, I don't think a GPU would care about what processor it's working with, as long as it's well balanced.

MAIN PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming | RAM: 16Gb DDR4 Patriot Viper 4 3200 | GPU: XFX RX580 4Gb GTS | Case: Sharkoon S25-W | Storage: M.2 NVME Adata Gammix S10 128Gb + SATA SSD WD Blue 1Tb | ODD: LG GH24NSD1 | PSU: Seasonic Core GM-500 | Display: AOC I2490PXQU | Cooler: Wraith Stealth | Keyboard: Logitech K120 | Mouse: Logitech B100 | Sound: the usual integrated Realtek | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

RETRO PC: CPU: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M | RAM: 2Gb DDR 800 | GPU: ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb | Case: Tacens Anima AC4500 | Storage: IDE WD Blue 80Gb + IDE DVD-RW drive + floppy drive | Sound: Terratec 128i ESS Solo-1 PCI | OS: Windows 98 SE + Windows XP SP3 + Linux Bionic Pup 32
HTPC: CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | Motherboard: AsRock B450M-HDV R4.0 | RAM: 16Gb DDR4 G.Skill Aegis 3200 | Case: Aerocool CS-101 | Storage: SATA SSD Silicon Power A55 256Gb | ODD: LG blu-ray WH14NS40 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

1 minute ago, NineEyeRon said:

The old days was always ATI and Intel and AMD with Nvidia... 

it did a big back flip that's for sure
thats why i'm interested because its pretty well known that a nvidia gpu will work better with a intel gpu now days 
and i know that pretty much just because of performance and not to do with software.
however it could be possible that just having the 1 driver for both gpu/cpu would actually make then work better together but it's just a thought really
theres no facts behind this statement at all other then how it used to be and rumors

4 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

The old days was always ATI and Intel and AMD with Nvidia... 

Cool! At some point I had Intel with Nvidia and then AMD with ATI ?

But that was a very long time ago!

MAIN PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming | RAM: 16Gb DDR4 Patriot Viper 4 3200 | GPU: XFX RX580 4Gb GTS | Case: Sharkoon S25-W | Storage: M.2 NVME Adata Gammix S10 128Gb + SATA SSD WD Blue 1Tb | ODD: LG GH24NSD1 | PSU: Seasonic Core GM-500 | Display: AOC I2490PXQU | Cooler: Wraith Stealth | Keyboard: Logitech K120 | Mouse: Logitech B100 | Sound: the usual integrated Realtek | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

RETRO PC: CPU: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M | RAM: 2Gb DDR 800 | GPU: ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb | Case: Tacens Anima AC4500 | Storage: IDE WD Blue 80Gb + IDE DVD-RW drive + floppy drive | Sound: Terratec 128i ESS Solo-1 PCI | OS: Windows 98 SE + Windows XP SP3 + Linux Bionic Pup 32
HTPC: CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | Motherboard: AsRock B450M-HDV R4.0 | RAM: 16Gb DDR4 G.Skill Aegis 3200 | Case: Aerocool CS-101 | Storage: SATA SSD Silicon Power A55 256Gb | ODD: LG blu-ray WH14NS40 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

1 minute ago, Neftex said:

this is probably the best video to look at for this kind of question

https://youtu.be/zmOglA32uRU?t=181

sorta not what i'm looking for 
i'm not really talking about gaming though it would play a part
i'm more interested if the gpu can talk better to the cpu for example the time delay between the cpu sending the info to the gpu to process or how it processes specific data it may split it if it's slightly faster because its AMD on AMD rather then amd on intel 
and in saying that AMD have made HUGE improvements in 2019 with their software so i'd assume things would work better now then 2 years ago too.
and new hardware to test with too.
gaming wise like fps gains thats not what i'm talking about as i said earlier the improvement would only be with loading stuff onto the gpu and how it processes it could be different because it allows it to work that way knowing its a amd gpu on a amd cpu the gains would only be in the 0.1% range nothing huge.
where if it was intel cpu and amd gpu it could load things in how it normally would and get ever so slightly less performance (assuming that the AMD CPU and Intel CPU are literally the exact same performance)
i think its a interesting topic that could be covered in more depth rather then just playing games as a test run an actual test down to micro seconds of time between the cpu and gpu and compare it from a amd gpu on a amd cpu vs a amd gpu on a intel system with the exact same performing cpu or as close as you can get to it

There are a lot of things that go around the internet being touted as fact.  They are all BS. 

This is not true, if AMD did anything to make their GPU work better with an AMD CPU then it would, as a consequence, not work as well on an Intel CPU, and given that nearly every gaming review test bench uses an Intel CPU, this would put AMD's GPU's at a huge disadvantage. they would simply not do it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I honestly cant understand how this is even still a myth/rumor these days. Googling will reveal about 100+ other threads from here, Toms, Reddit etc with others asking the exact same question and getting the exact same answer.. no there is no performance benefit or issues as a result of mixing/matching CPU/GPU combinations from AMD/Nvidia or Intel/AMD beyond the limitations posed by the architecture of the CPU itself. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

18 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I honestly cant understand how this is even still a myth/rumor these days.

I can only put it down to the inane ramblings of fanboys.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Even still, there is like 1 or 2 of those sandwiched between the hundreds of others debunking that. I really hate it when people don't do proper research and believe everything the read in one thread and not look at others for more evidence to either support, or debunk that claim. Seems more like ignorance than anything to me. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Even still, there is like 1 or 2 of those sandwiched between the hundreds of others debunking that. I really hate it when people don't do proper research and believe everything the read in one thread and not look at others for more evidence to either support, or debunk that claim. Seems more like ignorance than anything to me. 

I have been on the internet and internet forums since it became a thing (I was selling internet packages and repairing PC's in 1996).  I have done my time being one of those ignorant twits arguing the stupid shit.  It won't go away unfortunately, until you get to a certain level of maturity/awareness, people just believe whatever they want. 

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

i get that it sounds stupid, but once again testing with games is not what i'm talking about.
i'm talking about the processing of data if it transfers differently or processes differently because its amd - amd rather then 
amd - intel or nvidia - amd or even intel - intel eventually
i get that in most cases say for nvidia on intel or amd on intel it will work the same if both gpu and cpu were the exact same performance but what if you had the still exact same performing cpu and gpu but amd and just had amd - amd seeing as its 1 driver and made by the same people could it not be possible that they have there own way of doing things and only use it if it can.?
like storeMI needs a x400 chipset to work what if there is a way where data is transferred differently where its literally going to be like 0.1% faster in processing or moving the data just because it has a amd gpu and cpu that know eachothers limits better then say a nvidia gpu on a amd cpu?
i wouldn't rule it out all together i mean who's done testing with the Exact same performing cpu's just to see if there was a difference in how they transfer and process data as i said from the start this is not about gaming throwing a game at the gpu isn't going to show the difference in performance i'm talking about it would be microseconds literally stuff you couldn't see by eye or tell if you were registering it in seconds i'm talking down on the lowest levels of performance gain if there was any difference at all
and i really mean AT ALL 
i'n not saying buying a 2700x and a rx580 will make a 580 do what a 2080 can...
no i mean a 2700x might make a rx580 like 0.1% better because it can transfer / process data in a better way optimised specifically for AMD..?

7 minutes ago, stuhazie said:

but what if...

No,  it wouldn't be different.  end of story. the myth is wrong, the literature ios vast, the conclusion has been drawn.  If you want to believe it then by all means, you are welcome to any belief you want.  But as Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said: Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

No,  it wouldn't be different.  end of story. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

is there any proof of your claims to be facts?
and i mean to disprove this you'd need a intel cpu and a amd cpu with the exact same performance and a amd gpu with the exact same performance
and need to measure transfer speeds and processing speeds on both systems to see what was happening
or even if there is ANY difference at all even if it just does it differently because it knows its amd - amd instead of intel - amd

with the most current drivers and i'd go with most current hardware too