The Trashcan PC - Mac Pro lookalike

orangefurball

***The build is complete!***

Hello all,

I understand that this is primarily a Windows/Linux community, but I figured I would post here anyway. 

I remember seeing someone who made a Mac Pro (late 2013) Hackintosh (Normal computer that runs OS X). That inspired me to create my own. On a very strict budget of under $200, I set out to do just that. 

I have already picked the parts. Here is the list. 

CPU - Intel Celeron G1610 (Cheap with a capitol C) Ordered

Motherboard - ECS H61H2-I5 (Once again, cheap!) Ordered

RAM - Kingston low profile 2GB DDR3. This machine is not going to be used for anything but web browsing. Ordered

Storage - 64 GB SSD and possibly a storage drive I have laying around Have

Power Supply - APEVIA ITX-AP250W. More of a tester for the size as it's cheap and allows me to play around without losing much. Ordered

Case - Trashcan of course! It is being built/modified right now. Have

Extra tidbits that I ordered, Video card (8400GS 512MB), 2 140mm fans, KVM switch, PCI-e riser card, internal USB header to USB A header, will be used in addition to an OS X compatible WiFi dongle to have "build in" WiFi.

Now that that is out of the way, here is a simple mock-up

post-47284-0-03956100-1390449455_thumb.p

Drawn to scale. The wastebin in this photo is 7.5 inches (19.5 CM) in diameter and 11 inches (27.94 CM) tall. 

There will be two fans, one on top and one on bottom (air moving from bottom to top). The power supply will be completely internal and I may remove the casing and just mount it to some Plexi to have space, the power cable will be permanently attached to the system and will protrude from the rear. If I leave the case on the power supply, I will attach a semi-thick sheet of Plexi glass to it, mouse standoffs on it, and put the motherboard on there. I will be using the onboard Intel HD graphics, because this is just a fun project not a new main machine. The SSD and possible extra hard drive will be mounted on the reverse side of the motherboard "tray". 

It will run OS X, however I will not be detailing that aspect of the build on here. I have dealt with installing OS X on PCs many times before, I am very familiar with it. 

That's all for now, hopefully I'll have a can found soon. So far I'm $144 into my $200 budget. As I said, this is just a project and won't be used for anything except web browsing. Maybe sometime down the road if the conversion comes out amazing I'll upgrade the parts, but until then it's just an experiment! 

Orange Furball "Carbonation" - Bitfenix Prodigy (modded), Core i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB & 64GB SSD, 1TB HDD, HD 7870 GHz ED. Build Log HERE

Right as you have started, there is already an issue.

The Celeron G1610's Integrated GPU is not compatible with Mac OS X.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

like it, but if i were to have made any changes i would have gone with a apu or a low profile gpu

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Your going to have issues with that MB. Specifically video and audio.

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

like it, but if i were to have made any changes i would have gone with a apu or a low profile gpu

If he did go for an APU though, OS X would be out of the question. It still is right now, as Celerons don't use Intel HD 2500/3000/4000 Graphics.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

If he did go for an APU though, OS X would be out of the question. It still is right now, as Celerons don't use Intel HD 2500/3000/4000 Graphics.

ahhh didnt know that my bad but i know that celerons cant use os x however he could try finding a low profile gpu that uses 200w 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

He can get a cheapo GPU: http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-ZT-20313-10L-Video-Card-Graphics/dp/B005PAJV6O

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

Right as you have started, there is already an issue.

The Celeron G1610's Integrated GPU is not compatible with Mac OS X.

Very good observation. I will probably be going for a cheap GPU then. The problem was that a Celeron that was confirmed working with OS X was removed from NewEgg right before I placed my order. So I swapped for this one.

No problem though as I can get a super cheap GPU for next to nothing, and using a PCI-e riser cable I can place it in the upright position (also helping airflow)

Edit: probably going to get a GeForce 8400gs 512MB or something along those lines. Less than $20 used. I feel like the transcan will put me over budget.

Orange Furball "Carbonation" - Bitfenix Prodigy (modded), Core i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB & 64GB SSD, 1TB HDD, HD 7870 GHz ED. Build Log HERE

The title misled me into believing you were actually going to build this inside of a trash can. Interested to see how this will turn out.

The title misled me into believing you were actually going to build this inside of a trash can. Interested to see how this will turn out.

I am building it in a trashcan!

I am building it in a trashcan!

You'll want to use plastic most likely so maybe one of those Rubber Maids from Home Depot would work?

You'll want to use plastic most likely so maybe one of those Rubber Maids from Home Depot would work?

not sure, I know there is a Japanese one that looks just like the Mac Pro with a more angled top, and a German one that's basically an exact lookalike.

This is the closest I've found in the US so far http://www.amazon.com/gp/other/aw/d/B005M8YWAO?cache=1390455910&pie=1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1&pis=2496,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&precache=1

http://www.houzz.com/photos/1634377/Ideaco-TUBELOR-Trashcan-modern-waste-baskets-

That's he Japanese one. I really like the look and the width and height is perfect.

Posted Image

Got what I hope are all the parts to build the case today.

I decided to save some money and just make a garbage can look like the Mac Pro. I was at Walmart and found this extremely fashionable zebra trash can. Outer diameter 7.5", Inner diameter around 7.25". Height, 11 inches.

To create the top fan spot I will cut a hole in it. For the curved "lip" on the top of the Pro I plan on using the foam disks. Two on top carved into the shape, sanded down, covered in Bondo, sanded once again, and painted and glued to the top of the can. The remaining disk will be cut to size and placed on the bottom with a spot for the bottom fan cut into it, then I will make the fins for the bottom to make it look more like a Mac Pro.

All in all pretty straightforward. The wood will be used to support the motherboard (grounding wire will lead from the standoffs to the power supply case just in case)

More updates soon. Thanks everyone

I've had an insane amount of progress!

First of all, motherboard mounting has been completed. The oak is directly screwed into the power supply.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Here's the motherboard on the power supply. It's just enough weight so its all balanced.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Its really solid too!

Now for the casing, a hole was cut! You will notice that the wood shows through the hole, but that is because I had to have it all symmetrical and the power supply has a longer width, however with the metal insert it'll all look clean.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Speaking of the metal insert/IO shield, it will be CNC machined out of aluminum and powder coated black. This will be done by the end of the week. I just have to draw up all the ports into a cut design. The power supply cable will be removable which is another plus of having the larger hole.

What has to be done:

*Graphics card mounting has to be arranged (waiting for the graphics card)

*SSD (and maybe HDD) has to be mounted

*Fan hole cut and fan mounted

*Painting the casing (still have no idea how I'm making it do shiny)

*IO shield mounting

*the bottom still has to be fabricated

One more change from my original plan, I am only running one fan. I know, this isn't a good idea to most people, but considering its only a Celeron and a low power graphics card, there shouldn't be any issues.

That's all for today! I'm looking at being 100% finished with this project by next weekend. Much quicker than I thought I would be!

The fact that the hardware isn't very good, kinda just kills the whole project for me

The fact that the hardware isn't very good, kinda just kills the whole project for me

Hardware is easily upgradable, especially considering any Mini-ITX motherboard can be inserted. The hardware is not modified to fit inside of the case (except the IO shield and graphics card, however this can still be worked around) therefore it would be easy to upgrade later, just like a standard case.

This was a test for me, I've never done modification on this scale, the extent of my case modding experience is cutting holes in a side panel, this is essentially case fabrication. I did not want to risk breaking expensive hardware/have extra hardware if the project goes sour. This was the best way to minimize risk while also minimizing financial loss.

I created this to showcase the case, not so much to showcase hardware. Not yet at least

Hardware is easily upgradable, especially considering any Mini-ITX motherboard can be inserted. The hardware is not modified to fit inside of the case (except the IO shield and graphics card, however this can still be worked around) therefore it would be easy to upgrade later, just like a standard case.

This was a test for me, I've never done modification on this scale, the extent of my case modding experience is cutting holes in a side panel, this is essentially case fabrication. I did not want to risk breaking expensive hardware/have extra hardware if the project goes sour. This was the best way to minimize risk while also minimizing financial loss.

I created this to showcase the case, not so much to showcase hardware. Not yet at least

I actually didn't even think of that, the fact that you can throw whatever you would like into this little case is actually really great, But what about a video card, any plans for fitting on inside

I actually didn't even think of that, the fact that you can throw whatever you would like into this little case is actually really great, But what about a video card, any plans for fitting on inside

the video card i'm using has one of the VGA connectors that can pop off to make it low profile, so since my KVM I'm using it going to use is only VGA I will have the card positioned at an angle. Here's a quick drawing on a napkin

Posted Image

You can see the VGA "breakout" (for lack of a better word) will make it so I cleat the CPU cooler.

If I were to add a video card I can mount it vertically and have the video connection on an extension cable leading to the outside of the case.

I will be able to fit a 8-10" max length graphics card, which can be quite a beast if you really think about it.

I love seeing builds like this, I'm tempted to do one myself. Or not. I'm lazy.

I'm excited to see your final product.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I love seeing builds like this, I'm tempted to do one myself. Or not. I'm lazy.

I'm excited to see your final product.

If you haven't a Dremel and a drill its relatively easy to do!

Another update. I decided to do as much prep work before getting the rest of my parts. I got the SSD installed, the top fan installed, and I have the entire thing wired up (except for the PCI-e extension)

The SSD was mounted by cutting out the top part of a plastic hard drive sled from another case, luckily mine had a spot that I could drill through to mount it to the wood.

ehuzebym.jpg

For the fan I cut a piece of Plexiglass into a rectangle and drilled some holes in it, mounted it to the wood, then mounted the fan to it. Its crude, but fits in the can and works.

9yrajety.jpgvudyvy4e.jpg3u6a2uga.jpg

I also sanded the can down and washed it so I could paint it. I am probably going for a black with a satin look, I'm not a fan of gloss unless it could be extremely shiny. Which I know I can't do.

uquvare9.jpg

Now the last thing I did today was test the thing. Normally I would just make sure it would post, but I decided to take it a step further and install Windows 8 on there (and not activate it so I could still use the copy later. Mac OS X will replace the unactivated Windows 8 in a few days). It worked perfectly. Makes me wonder why people who don't need demanding systems even buy desktops anymore. This fits in a 7.5" x 4" square and stands 11" tall at the moment, yet I can still play HD video just fine.

e3aga6y6.jpgbahu9umy.jpg

Now cleanup for the day begins...

edyze2y2.jpg

Just a bit of progress since the last update.

The black fan was just a crappy one I was playing around with. While it worked, it wasn't the best airflow. So I changed my design. I'm not placing a fan on top of the case.

The fan I ordered turned out to be 20mm too big, no big deal. Just cut a bigger hole!

u2e6yzu9.jpg

Now the fan was still too big, so I cut the corners off. Who needs them anyway?

vy4apa9a.jpgzetuse6u.jpghadydere.jpg

Perfect! Just a bit of hot glue holds it down. I also sanded down the inside of the top ring and put some bondo on then sprayed with Plasti-dip. That gave it a nice black look.

tyrytany.jpg

After that I sealed it all together. Its gonna be a sad day when that fan dies.

ga4yjevy.jpg

Here is an inside view of the fan. Just because.

se2e2ubu.jpg

And now a top view.

ny4asyga.jpg

We have a problem. The top of the Mac pro looks pretty! There's not an orange fan sticking out.

With paper clips and Card Stock, we have this.

Beforeruzy8eba.jpg

After7utesyna.jpg

Better right? And the best part is air passes through still, because the paper doesn't go the edge. It balances in the middle on paperclips.

Almost forgot to mention some changes to my design. The video card is ghetto-rigged. Zip tied are literally holding it up. But I did a shake test and its solid. Air still gets to the CPU and no components get anywhere near overheating.

The SSD and HDD also were unscrewed and dangle. This may be addressed, not sure. It works great still though.

This is where I'm at today.

y8ebygus.jpg

What still has to be done,

*IO plate has to get cut (drawings are at the shop!)

*Bottom has to be done

*Paint

*OS X install.

Progress nonetheless. Still on schedule!

Edit: here's a photo of the video card setup... hyqanu2e.jpg ...don't judge me. As I said temps were good! If changes need to be made they can be.

And the SSD and HDD yme2a5et.jpg

Awesome!

I'm inspired to build a cheap web browsing machine now

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core