The Trashcan PC - Mac Pro lookalike

orangefurball

Awesome!

I'm inspired to build a cheap web browsing machine now

thanks! Most people find it useless. I may do a dual boot with Ubuntu for Android stuff too, there's many low power uses for these kinds of machines

Orange Furball "Carbonation" - Bitfenix Prodigy (modded), Core i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB & 64GB SSD, 1TB HDD, HD 7870 GHz ED. Build Log HERE

Not much work done today, but that's because I'm finishing up. I painted the casing today. I decided to go with a glossy enamel spray paint. I was going to go matte but something about this caught my eye. Its pretty glossy too and strong.

Posted Image

So that's curing overnight. I also have the bottom done. I don't have any pictures, ill have some tomorrow. I couldn't put as many vents as I would have liked because my Dremel died on me part way through. I would buy a new one, but my Nexus 5 shattered yesterday as well, a phone is a higher priority than a few vents at the moment! It will still look good nonetheless.

The final step now is getting my backplate home and installed. It was cut today and is being painted tomorrow. Meaning if all goes well the build will be done tomorrow, and all that is left after that is installing OS X! There will also be a small surprise on the backplate. Here is the only hint. Any guesses?

Posted Image

As always, progress is being made. Thanks everyone!

I do want to say something, this will not be my last attempt at making a Mac Pro lookalike. This will however be the only one out of a garbage can though. Keep an eye out for the next Mac Pro from me. It might not be for a couple more projects, but I have already started planning after all that I learned from this one!

Orange Furball "Carbonation" - Bitfenix Prodigy (modded), Core i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB & 64GB SSD, 1TB HDD, HD 7870 GHz ED. Build Log HERE

Well.. She's done!

I couldn't get the lighting right tonight for pictures, so I'll post the final results.

Its not perfect, however as I said yesterday I am making another Mac Pro lookalike. I almost have my plans complete. So once funds come in she will be well on her way.

Probably my favorite part is this.

Posted Image

A glowing Apple! When I originally made the drawing for the back cover, I decided to stick an apple in a blank spot and figure out what to do later. Then one day I looked at my Plexus glass and it hit me. I saided the back of a piece of plexi glass and glued some paper to it. Then I put a power light from an old HP desktop behind it and it worked great.

The apple logo leaf looks weird, I know, but that is because the company who cut the piece didn't have a small enough tool to cut it right. At first I didn't like it, but its growing on me. You still know what it is and it fits the Hackintosh vibe, almost a Mac, but not quite. And that Apple is almost an Apple logo, but not quite.

Like i said, better pictures tomorrow. I just wanted to let everyone know the build is done!

It's really cool. And dat apple on the back.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM (mATX) RAM : 3GB GPU : Asus Radeon HD 4670 Case : Generic mATX Case Storage: Crucial M500 240 GB & WD Blue 500GB PSU: 420W

I think it looks great!  Well done!

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

Thanks everyone! I promise pictures are coming. My Moto X will be here tomorrow to replace my broken phone, so I will have a semi-good camera to take pictures with.

Thanks for the compliments!!