How do I find out if Linux is compatible with my hardware?

I recently bought a mini pc solely for the task of being my Plex server. The PC is a mini PC with an Intel J3455 (Quad Core) and 4GB of Ram

I understand that it's best to run Linux on these more humble PCs as there is much less overhead for the CPU and ram. 

How would I figure out if Linux is compatible with my PC?

If it is compatible can anyone recommend a distro for a beginner who has never installed Linux before? (I've installed Windows a few times but not Linux). 

Are there any things I should be aware of for installing Linux and using it for my Plex Media Server?

Can I install Linux on a USB and not worry about having to delete my Windows OS from my internal 32GB eMMC hard drive (Assuming I can do this by just changing boot order in BIOS???)

Any suggestions would help, thanks!

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 
 | GPU: MSI 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X 10G OC | | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | PSU: MSI MPG A750GF Gold Fully-Modular | Mouse: MSI CLUTCH GM50 | Keyboard: MSI Vigor GK60 Cherry MX Red | 

| Headset: MSI DS502 GAMING Headset | Case: MSI MPG SEKIRA 100R | 

| Displays: AOC AGONAG241QX Gaming Monitor 24" & Acer CB282K 28.0" 2160p 60Hz HDR IPS | Wrist Rest: MSI Vigor WR01 Wrist  Rest | 

I cant think of hardware you cant run linux on, I can however think of some shitty wifi/bluetooth cards that have shitty drivers on linux. (mainly broadcom stuff)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

How would I figure out if Linux is compatible with my PC? -- Linux is compatible with almost all PC, especially made after 2005.

If it is compatible can anyone recommend a distro for a beginner who has never installed Linux before? -- Ubuntu is one of the easiest for beginners

Are there any things I should be aware of for installing Linux and using it for my Plex Media Server? -- Just install the OS and install Plex server, done. You might want to disable Firewalld completely if you have any sharing problems.

Can I install Linux on a USB and not worry about having to delete my Windows OS from my internal 32GB eMMC hard drive (Assuming I can do this by just changing boot order in BIOS???) -- Yes. You can also install linux on a second drive, it will automatically create a boot loader so you can select which OS you want to use.

My advice is install it on the main drive since you going to use it primarily for plex server.

32GB drive is too small for windows anyway.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Considering that you're not trying to run bleeding-edge hardware, even Debian would most likely work (it's not a beginner-friendly distribution, but it is extremely stable, though at the cost of having very old packages, apart from security updates, of course, which are released regularly). I would suggest to you that you watch Joe Collins and Switched to Linux to get eased into Linux (you could also watch Level1Linux and Level1Techs if you want to see more of Wendell, the guy from Linus' previous gaming video, the more complex one).

Have a nice day and enjoy your stay in Linuxville!

EDIT: Chris Titus Tech is also a good Linux YouTuber, but he is not strictly about desktop Linux (discussed sysadmin stuff before), or Linux in general (has his own Windows 10 debloat script).

Edited by elsandosgrande
One more thing to mention