For Video editing and casual gaming i5 9600K or i7 8700?

Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,

i7 8700 is your best pick, by the way you can even BCLK overclock it to 4.45ghz (102.98mhz base).

It will allow V56 to achieve its full potential at gaming while the extra threads and cache will assist greatly on your content creation.

Hi everyone, Im upgrading from a 4th gen i5. Im wondering wich cpu is better for video editing and some gaming (mostly PES 2019, Wii emulator (cemu)).

I have:

AMD Vega 56

32gb DDR4 Ram

Gigabyte Z370 DS3H

750W 80+ modular PSU

256gb SSD

I will work with:

After Effects

Premiere Pro

FinalCut Pro X

I would like to know wich cpu would be better for me between i5 9600K and i7 8700. 

Thank you already!

20 minutes ago, JoshHT said:

The R7 1700 is $160 right now and should be fine for the most part

What kind of footage?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

i7 8700 is your best pick, by the way you can even BCLK overclock it to 4.45ghz (102.98mhz base).

It will allow V56 to achieve its full potential at gaming while the extra threads and cache will assist greatly on your content creation.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The R7 1700 is $160 right now and should be fine for the most part

What kind of footage?

Im hoping to possibly get 4k editing. Im not that good in computers but Im looking forward to make a dual boot windows and mac (hacintosh)

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Thank you! That’s helping me highly. But how do I do what you mentioned (BCLK overclock). 

Just now, JoshHT said:

Thank you! That’s helping me highly. But how do I do what you mentioned (BCLK overclock). 

If you do get the i7 8700 with a Z370 chipset board you should do all steps on the regarding of power on this guide:

https://overclocking.guide/gigabyte-z370-overclocking-coffee-lake/

The main difference is that since you got a locked chip instead of chancing multipliers what you do is leave Turbo Boost on and just change the base clock from the standard 100mhz to 102.98mhz.

This will effect your memory setting too though so you might need to fine tune the timings.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

11 minutes ago, JoshHT said:

Im hoping to possibly get 4k editing. Im not that good in computers but Im looking forward to make a dual boot windows and mac (hacintosh)

I'd just buy a 9900K then so you aren't worrying about missing performance ever.

Still a pain to make a hackintosh though in general.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

If you do get the i7 8700 with a Z370 chipset board you should do all steps on the regarding of power on this guide:

https://overclocking.guide/gigabyte-z370-overclocking-coffee-lake/

The main difference is that since you got a locked chip instead of chancing multipliers what you do is leave Turbo Boost on and just change the base clock from the standard 100mhz to 102.98mhz.

This will effect your memory setting too though so you might need to fine tune the timings.

Okay thank you. Ill give it a try and let you know!

21 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I'd just buy a 9900K then so you aren't worrying about missing performance ever.

Still a pain to make a hackintosh though in general.

I’d like to, but I’m on a budget! 

9 hours ago, JoshHT said:

Okay thank you. Ill give it a try and let you know!

Okay guys thanks for everything. Im considering an i7 8700k instead. Do you think I’ll be able to overclock it to 5-5.2ghz with the motherboard I currently have? Or should I spend another 150-200 to get a z780 aorus ultra or gaming 7?

On 4/24/2019 at 12:40 PM, JoshHT said:

I’d like to, but I’m on a budget! 

Okay guys thanks for everything. Im considering an i7 8700k instead. Do you think I’ll be able to overclock it to 5-5.2ghz with the motherboard I currently have? Or should I spend another 150-200 to get a z780 aorus ultra or gaming 7?

You can potentially sell 16GBs of RAM to get the money for the 9900K

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Streetguru said:

You can potentially sell 16GBs of RAM to get the money for the 9900K

That wouldn't be ideal for him, as it appears that he will be working with heavy workloads and losing RAM would limit how much he can do, and his rig is both a workstation and gaming rig. Workstation rigs typically have 32gb, and for good reason. Stop recommending the most expensive consumer-level processor he can't afford. If he wanted to buy a 9900k, you would probably try to make him get a 7980XE. Listen to what he wants and learn to back down on your suggestions when needed.

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

On 4/29/2019 at 11:07 AM, ImAyaanKhan said:

That wouldn't be ideal for him, as it appears that he will be working with heavy workloads and losing RAM would limit how much he can do, and his rig is both a workstation and gaming rig. Workstation rigs typically have 32gb, and for good reason. Stop recommending the most expensive consumer-level processor he can't afford. If he wanted to buy a 9900k, you would probably try to make him get a 7980XE. Listen to what he wants and learn to back down on your suggestions when needed.

You can easily add back 16GBs later, you can't easily upgrade the CPU later. It's unlikely he ends up using 32GBs of RAM in any event, I don't go over that editing 4k footage, though I'm not applying many effects to it.

Spoiler