Tips for building computers with kids

lepierce3

Hello! I am an elementary technology teacher and I have a group of 4th graders who are interested in building a computer. I am also working on my on personal build but it's my first one. So, I was wondering if some people who were more experienced than me had any tips to keep in mind while having a kid work with a computer that I might not have thought about yet? 

Also, I was considering having them use gloves in hopes of protecting the parts a little better? We all know that kids are not always careful about where exactly they are putting their hands and I am worried they could possibly touch something they shouldn't and mess it up. 

Any tips are appreciated! Thank you! 

1-Install the CPU for them

2-If possible show them some videos. Maybe Austin Evans he is more family friendly (sorry Linus)

3-Also if possible say that if they behave and the PC works you will make a raffle

4 If it is your computer just don't do the raffle and let them test or play or do benchmarks

Edited by BurstHearts

Start simple and cheap. I live in a decidedly bad part of the country for sourcing computer parts, but I could make a couple of phone calls and have myself 10 Optiplex 740-780 mini-towers for roughly $10 each by the end of the day. Those old BTX Optis are the perfect platform to learn on. Very few tools needed (less chances for kids to stab each other's eyes out), very simple disassembly and assembly, very easy access to all parts. It's like a music teacher will tell you, you have to spend time learning and understanding your instrument before playing it. Directing them through taking apart and rebuilding old Optiplexes before letting anyone drop a CPU on the pins of an 1151 board, see how far they can bend the capacitors or stick a fork in a power supply would make more sense as a jumping off point than just building on day one, and I bet that as a school, you could get some or all of those machines just donated to you. The HP/Compaq Elite platform is also very simple and forgiving, the Lenovo ThinkCentre a little less so.

Anti-static gloves would be a plus to help protect the equipment, but I think those would get pricey for a whole class. I'm of the opinion that it's better to teach them up front the right and wrong way to do things rather than a large cash outlay assuming they'll screw up, but the only "child" I've ever dealt with is my dog, and he still periodically gets threats about becoming Chinese food after that time he peed on a mobo. I'm probably a failure as a parent.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

As @aisle9 said, start simple and cheap.

I'm a high school student, my school does the same types of lessons and we use some old Dell Optiplex towers in those lessons. They're perfect for that sort of thing because they're cheap, plentiful and you only need basic tools to work on them (I managed to disassemble and re-assemble one with just a screwdriver). 

i wouldnt let them handle a PSU, even if its discharged it is still the most harmful component. putting stuff such as screwdrivers or dropping stuff into it isnt a good idea.

like you should be fine, just be on the safe side. 

also create a "To-Do-List". just to keep stuff going. 

also go cheap. a 2200G or 2400G build with a Steel Legends board will look nice, peak interest while being relativly affordable. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($146.09 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $236.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-23 15:31 EDT-0400

something like this

Im not sure I would use gloves with them. Little hands in gloves that likely wont fit them properly would make it harder to work on the computer and more likely to make them make a mistake. Just get them to wash their hands before you start and have them ground themselves before they touch anything

A lot of great info, thank you everyone!

I was thinking about using these gloves: https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Disposable-Mechanic-Nitrile-Anti-Static/dp/B07HYV5BKF/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=anti+static+gloves+bulk&qid=1556041461&s=office-products&sr=1-1

But @Ravendarat brought up a good point about the size! I didn't even think about that. I guess I will just have to get them to be super careful. The class I am doing it with is pretty well behaved so hopefully it should work. 

@aisle9 So I looked up those optiplexs and I found them for pretty cheap (around $130 for a 780), but how are you able to get them for so much less? I just did a generic google search and ended up on Amazon, but I am assuming there are better places to look? 

7 minutes ago, lepierce3 said:

@aisle9 So I looked up those optiplexs and I found them for pretty cheap (around $130 for a 780), but how are you able to get them for so much less? I just did a generic google search and ended up on Amazon, but I am assuming there are better places to look? 

Try looking on eBay, they usually have some good prices. Also, try looking for the older Optiplex 755, you can usually find them for quite cheap (at least where I live) and there are loads of them around so it's worth taking a look.

Here's one I found for $25:

Screenshot_22.thumb.png.a9f857c57529facfb5fb9bcf5f466f06.png

@XR6 Perfect, I will check out ebay! Probably craigslist and fb marketplace too just to be safe. Thanks! 

Linus has vids were he built PCs with his kids. 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Local computer shops may just donate you a few , older working rigs they pulled out of the field. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block