Cores

it's an 8-core CPU with 4 modules.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

If I remember correctly,

Officially, your CPU is "8 cores".
But those are not "true" 8 cores, it's closer to hyperthreading on the Intel side. (2 threads per core)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

My memory is a little fuzzy on this but I thought there was a little conspiracy about how AMDs FX-8150 wasn't a true 8 core but a 4 core with something that was multi-thread like.

Yeah, windows sees cores as FPUs/pipelines and not as exectution units. Meaning it interprets the 8 core fx series as 4 core 8 thread.

It has 8 cores, but they are layed out in a way that they work in pairs of 2. 

People like to say they arent "real cores" even though they are. There are just 4 pipelines instead of the 8 you would expect

It depends on your definition of a core.

AMD called it a core, but 

There is actually a class action lawsuit (still going?) about this: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-fx-processors-lawsuit-continues,38486.html

The company marketed its FX processors as the world's first eight-core CPUs, but because of the shared resources between cores in Bulldozer modules, the lawsuit alleges that this claim was deceptive about real-world performance.

The class action lawsuit is more about the implied performance, but it's also about the definition of a core. It basically comes down to that two cores inside of the CPU share some resources that hold significance value to the speed of a core. People thus questioned "does that really mean a core in that CPU is really a core..?"

I guess Windows has a different definition/readout as opposed to Core Temp.

The idea of having 1 core be 2 threads is not uncommon by the way, Intel calls it Hyperthreading (HT) and with the current technology AMD calls it Simultaneous multi threading (SMT).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Windows7ge said:

My memory is a little fuzzy on this but I thought there was a little conspiracy about how AMDs FX-8150 wasn't a true 8 core but a 4 core with something that was multi-thread like.

They are 8 cores but with 4 FPU's. AMD banked on developers offloading floating point operations to the GPU, and it failed. They do have 8 integer units though.

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I guess Windows has a different definition/readout as opposed to Core Temp

My guess is that windows sees cores as pipelines.

Though tbh windows isnt good at core management.

points to windows sqedualler