1x1TB or 2X500GB raid 0

Go to solution Solved by NickPickerWI,

A 1tb SSD.

Cheaper, more stable, less setup, less cabling, lower failure risk. All the reasons everyone else has said already.

I need to expand my storage so I was wondering should I get 1x1TB SSD or 2X500GB and raid 0 them

please explain your suggestion thoroughly

3 minutes ago, Muhammad2126 said:

I need to expand my storage so I was wondering should I get 1x1TB SSD or 2X500GB and raid 0 them

please explain your suggestion thoroughly

I’d just go with a single 1TB ssd. No explanation needed

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

5 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I’d just go with a single 1TB ssd. No explanation needed

Some newer people may not be entirely aware, so an explanation can be helpful.

Two drives means you're twice as likely to have a failure, and in RAID 0 a single drive failure means you lose all your data. A single 1TB SSD, even just a SATA SSD is fast enough that most people don't actually notice the difference between a PCIe and SATA SSD in actual usage, and RAID 0 SATA doesn't touch the speed of PCIe SSDs, but with increased chances of failure. So if you're worried about a single 1TB SATA SSD not being fast enough, get a 1TB PCIe SSD. 

1x1tb. It will probably be faster, higher capacities are usually faster. And it will be more reliable. 

raid 0 is faster but its prone to one drive dieng eventually and your data dieing with it if you are doing this buy 4 and go raid 10

A 1tb SSD.

Cheaper, more stable, less setup, less cabling, lower failure risk. All the reasons everyone else has said already.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

1 hour ago, RobFRaschke said:

Some newer people may not be entirely aware, so an explanation can be helpful.

Two drives means you're twice as likely to have a failure, and in RAID 0 a single drive failure means you lose all your data. A single 1TB SSD, even just a SATA SSD is fast enough that most people don't actually notice the difference between a PCIe and SATA SSD in actual usage, and RAID 0 SATA doesn't touch the speed of PCIe SSDs, but with increased chances of failure. So if you're worried about a single 1TB SATA SSD not being fast enough, get a 1TB PCIe SSD. 

ya but I backup all my important data on the cloud 

when it comes to speed the thing is I never used a sata SSD I jumped from a 5200 hdd to sabrent rocket 500gb nvme ssd (3450MB/s read 3000MB/s write) because it was 79$ at the time

1 hour ago, Muhammad2126 said:

ya but I backup all my important data on the cloud 

when it comes to speed the thing is I never used a sata SSD I jumped from a 5200 hdd to sabrent rocket 500gb nvme ssd (3450MB/s read 3000MB/s write) because it was 79$ at the time

I would definitely not raid nvme ssds as it will most likely be taking pcie lanes from somewhere else to do so. If it steals CPU pcie lanes, it could affect your graphics card, if it's pch pcie lanes then it's adding latency on the second drive, hurting random iops on the whole array compared to could direct pcie lanes.

8 hours ago, RobFRaschke said:

I would definitely not raid nvme ssds as it will most likely be taking pcie lanes from somewhere else to do so. If it steals CPU pcie lanes, it could affect your graphics card, if it's pch pcie lanes then it's adding latency on the second drive, hurting random iops on the whole array compared to could direct pcie lanes.

hell no I wasn't talking about nvme SSDs I was talking about sata because I'm used to nvme performance, I was afraid that sata SSDs would feel slow, but I think I'll just buy a 1x1TB sata SSD to reduce the hassle.

thank you for helping

have a good day