Value of cores and threads for gaming builds.

I run a small pc build/maintenance corner in my uncle's hardware store. Over 7 months since I've opened up I've noticed more gaming builds request of either the ryzen 7 or the 9700K for their 8 cores and 16 threads. I know that usually the standard 6 cores is more then enough for gaming but more games are starting to utilize more threads or core such as (shadow of Tomb raider), I'm starting to think that we're back to the 2/4/4-8 setting again just as games start to utilize more of the threads. So I'm actually not surprised at the rumors about ryzen 3000 being 6/8/12 cores. Just as game is changing I'm sure even the light workstations will benefit from the extra cores/threads. I just hope the rumors are true so AMD can kick Intel in the nuts with Ryzen. 

I used to find 8 cores overkill for gaming, but now it's normal since I play "Assassin's creed", even my workload has been much easier for me since I've switched out the R5 for the R7 2700 on my workhorse pc. 

I m starting to belive the 6 core/12 threads may be the next 2 cores/4 threads or 4 cores/ 8 threads. 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

2 minutes ago, Galion said:

I m starting to belive the 6 core/12 threads may be the next 2 cores/4 threads or 4 cores/ 8 threads

From a price perspective, yes, but from a performance standpoint, not for a little while. Game devs still have to account for the budget crowd still rocking Pentiums, i3s, and old school i5s.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

From a price perspective, yes, but from a performance standpoint, not for a little while. Game devs still have to account for the budget crowd still rocking Pentiums, i3s, and old school i5s.

Yea agreed, and that's why AMD gave us the 2400G or the G series for future budget builds. 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

8 minutes ago, Galion said:

Yea agreed, and that's why AMD gave us the 2400G or the G series for future budget builds. 

Overall AMD has been very gracious to their platform, literally anyone with an AM4 motherboard can upgrade to 8 cores at any point, so when that core count is relevant for gaming it's quite a boon.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It all depends on budget  If you just watched J's new bottle necking video he shows an i3 7100 2-4 producing the same sort of performance with GTX1660  but with a RTX 2080ti that same i3 is just crippled due to bottle necking.  So the core count does make a difference with higher end hardware but doest with the more main stream budget hardware. 

30 minutes ago, Galion said:

Over 7 months since I've opened up I've noticed more gaming builds request of either the ryzen 7 or the 9700K for their 8 cores and 16 threads

FYI the i7 9700k lacks hyperthreading. It's 8 cores 8 threads.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

38 minutes ago, Spotty said:

FYI the i7 9700k lacks hyperthreading. It's 8 cores 8 threads.

Thanks I know, I ment the 8 true cores over 6 for gaming of late. 

Best Value Build List

I was going to mention Jay's video but it looks like @ELSknutson actually beat me to it. 

All that aside, there are some games that can take advantage of the quad core+  cpus that seem to be dominating the market. However, PC gaming is also something that allows you to consume media and other things while you game. I actually do CAD work between Overwatch or Destiny matches because I have more than one monitor and enough cores and GPU to handle both.

TLDR: 2 screens = (games+media/cores) So yeah, if you do ANYTHING other than single screen gaming, 4+ cores is something you may see value in.

48 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

It all depends on budget  If you just watched J's new bottle necking video he shows an i3 7100 2-4 producing the same sort of performance with GTX1660  but with a RTX 2080ti that same i3 is just crippled due to bottle necking.  So the core count does make a difference with higher end hardware but doest with the more main stream budget hardware. 

Yes, for 1080p 60fps it doesn't really matter, at the moment but don't forget gaming and workwise. Unless you're a pure gamer whichwouldn't even go less then1440p 144hrz at no less then 120fps. In the months of systems I've build rarely gamers come in for budget parts unless they are just starting to game. 

Best Value Build List

6 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

I was going to mention Jay's video but it looks like @ELSknutson actually beat me to it. 

All that aside, there are some games that can take advantage of the quad core+  cpus that seem to be dominating the market. However, PC gaming is also something that allows you to consume media and other things while you game. I actually do CAD work between Overwatch or Destiny matches because I have more than one monitor and enough cores and GPU to handle both.

TLDR: 2 screens = (games+media/cores) So yeah, if you do ANYTHING other than single screen gaming, 4+ cores is something you may see value in.

in this day and age its more or less a crime to buy a quadcore if you have the budget to buy a 6 core CPU. especially 4c/4t which have started to struggle a bit

If FarCry is near and dear to your heart, then no fewer than 8 threads. GamersNexus reported a while back that the 6-core / 6 thread 9600K suffered from significant microstuttering in FC5, which has frankly turned me off from suggesting the 9600K, and its ilk, to PC gamers in my circles.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

in this day and age its more or less a crime to buy a quadcore if you have the budget to buy a 6 core CPU. especially 4c/4t which have started to struggle a bit

Totally agree. I tend to only ever go quad if it comes in something I got cheap and can do minimum upgrades before selling or giving away.

7 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

Try this : triple 1440p 144hrz QHD Assassin's creed, doing the store's accounting, uploading new product videos and editing. Believe me the Ryzen 2700 sweats

Best Value Build List

Just now, Galion said:

Try this : triple 1440p 144hrz QHD Assassin's creed, doing the store's accounting, uploading new product videos and editing. Believe me the Ryzen 2700 sweats

Oh hell yeah that would be quite a load. I don't ever have that much going on at once but I always overbuild. i9-7940x and I still need to do a custom loop for it. Rads are in the mail :)

3 minutes ago, spartanvi said:

If FarCry is near and dear to your heart, then no fewer than 8 threads. GamersNexus reported a while back that the 6-core / 6 thread 9600K suffered from significant microstuttering in FC5, which has frankly turned me off from suggesting the 9600K, and its ilk, to PC gamers in my circles.

When my customers tell me they want to play shadow or FC5 I don't evev want to recommend the R5 2600/2600x

Best Value Build List

1 minute ago, Mbowen said:

Oh hell yeah that would be quite a load. I don't ever have that much going on at once but I always overbuild. i9-7940x and I still need to do a custom loop for it. Rads are in the mail :)

My cousin Eddie uses threadripper2 (custom loop) for work + gaming with a 2080ti and he still complains it's too slow and hot. 

Best Value Build List

5 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

And my uncle still says "Dee" you're getting paid too much =.=  I get paid usd$980.00 for all my work. 

Not forgetting I have to do the product videos myself, and I build the pc from my own pocket, no company sub claims. 

Best Value Build List

21 minutes ago, Galion said:

Nice, I do nutty stunts like this:

Discord, Steam Chat, Youtube (playing some music), BOINC running 70% usage load on CPU (and no sneeze at WUs either, I had sixtrack avx going on), and playing a game at 4K.  :P   Yes, I do that when I game on the few occasions.  Did that last night playing Borderlands GOTY Enchanced (was hovering around 100-160fps depending on the spot and what was occuring on screen).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

12 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Nice, I do nutty stunts like this:

Discord, Steam Chat, Youtube (playing some music), BOINC running 70% usage load on CPU (and no sneeze at WUs either, I had sixtrack avx going on), and playing a game at 4K.  :P   Yes, I do that when I game on the few occasions.  Did that last night playing Borderlands GOTY Enchanced (was hovering around 100-160fps depending on the spot and what was occuring on screen).

lol, finally someone can feel my pc pains. 

Best Value Build List

36 minutes ago, Galion said:

When my customers tell me they want to play shadow or FC5 I don't evev want to recommend the R5 2600/2600x

Yeah it's an awkward pill to swallow. I'm not even going to bother phrasing it any other way because Steve said it best:

The i5 remains hard to justify, even with its two-core increase. Intel remains the best option for gaming-only builds in the i7 class, but struggles to prove consistent value in the i5 class. That’s a problem – if the value is inconsistent, it is sometimes better to opt for a more consistent (if sometimes weaker) alternative, if only because the experience is then predictable.

In this case, I'd still recommend a Ryzen rig for a friend who's keeping a tight budget, even in pure gaming builds just for the consistency. Otherwise i7 all the way if the budget permits. 

4 minutes ago, spartanvi said:

Yeah it's an awkward pill to swallow. I'm not even going to bother phrasing it any other way because Steve said it best:

In this case, I'd still recommend a Ryzen rig for a friend who's keeping a tight budget, even in pure gaming builds just for the consistency. Otherwise i7 all the way if the budget permits. 

That's why if Ryzen 3000s r5 range is 8cores/16threads Intel's balls are in the nutcracker machine for sure. 

Best Value Build List