HP Has the Worst Customer Service and Printers Ever

Mrs_Grillz

I was unable to download a driver to allow my 11x17” printer to print in 11x17”. I had needed to do this before and successfully done so but the settings to install drivers had since changed. 

I called customer service and they wanted to charge me 19.99 USD just to troubleshoot on the phone with them! Simply because my product was out of warranty ?

After several years of this printer being unreasonably difficult to operate, my boyfriend and I had had it and did this:

Just now, Mayushii said:

oh god whyyyy didnt you take it outsideeeeee

It was worth it I promise!

HP is around the top on my Vendor Specialized High Intensity Training List.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On the contrary, HP printers are among the most reliable. Some are crap, yes, but not usually.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

On the contrary, HP printers are among the most reliable. Some are crap, yes, but not usually.

True, their printers are reliable...for a while, HP is quick to abandon previous models when a new OS rolls around and refuses to update the drivers for the older hardware. Another stunt they pull is to chip their toner carts with expiration dates. I had to toss a perfectly good laser jet because the only carts available had expired, which blocked my access to the "tool box" (where the settings were made and changed) and I upgraded from XP to Win 7 and *&^%$#@! wouldn't update the driver for the printer.

HP even went so far as to, when Win 10 was coming out, proudly announce that they wouldn't make drivers for Win 7 or ?Vista, which were still viable OSes back then, for any computer they sold with Win 10 installed.

I found HP's tech help to be completely useless.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

True, their printers are reliable...for a while, HP is quick to abandon previous models when a new OS rolls around and refuses to update the drivers for the older hardware.

This isn't really unique to HP. Unless we're talking enterprise grade printers, most consumer printers get abandoned (in terms of Driver support - specifically for new OS's) pretty quickly.

With that in mind, basically any full driver suite from Windows 7 onward typically works flawlessly for Windows 10.

Another stunt they pull is to chip their toner carts with expiration dates. I had to toss a perfectly good laser jet because the only carts available had expired, which blocked my access to the "tool box" (where the settings were made and changed) and I upgraded from XP to Win 7 and *&^%$#@! wouldn't update the driver for the printer.

Again, not a problem unique to HP - some put chips in, some don't.

HP even went so far as to, when Win 10 was coming out, proudly announce that they wouldn't make drivers for Win 7 or ?Vista, which were still viable OSes back then, for any computer they sold with Win 10 installed.

Fair enough - but HP almost always offers a universal print driver that will work on any Windows OS dating back to XP (and likely even before that, though I've never tested Win 9x), so in such a situation, there's almost always an alternative to the full driver suite.

I found HP's tech help to be completely useless.

I've only used HP support a few times (both were driver issues where their HP Support software kept thinking there was a new driver, when I already had the newest driver) - in both cases, the problem was solved.

I understand that others have had pretty terrible experiences with HP support - though of course, the same is true for basically every company.

I personally use a Brother MFC Laser Printer at home, as I got it on a wicked clearance deal ($300+ printer for $99). I also have an ancient (by modern standards) HP Laserjet 1020 that still works to this day, and you can still find toner for. This laser printer is gosh... almost 14 years old now?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

This isn't really unique to HP. Unless we're talking enterprise grade printers, most consumer printers get abandoned (in terms of Driver support - specifically for new OS's) pretty quickly...

HP is worse than most companies when it comes to driver support for any of their products.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

...Again, not a problem unique to HP - some put chips in, some don't...

Most chipped toner carts just keep you from using aftermarket carts, not make it impossible to use their carts due to age.

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

...Fair enough - but HP almost always offers a universal print driver that will work on any Windows OS dating back to XP (and likely even before that, though I've never tested Win 9x), so in such a situation, there's almost always an alternative to the full driver suite...

Like hell they do. They never came up with a driver for my printer.

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

...I've only used HP support a few times (both were driver issues where their HP Support software kept thinking there was a new driver, when I already had the newest driver) - in both cases, the problem was solved.

I understand that others have had pretty terrible experiences with HP support - though of course, the same is true for basically every company...

Some companies have bad support: some have excellent support. HP is one of the worst. The last time I tried to use them was for a monitor I had bought that could be rotated and the image was supposed automatically rotate except it didn't. The idiot I spoke to said my computer (an Acer, another company on my Specialized High Intensity Training list) was missing a file and I needed to contact Acer to get the file. He coudn't even tell me what the missing files. I asked him if HP was going to pay for Acer's tech help since it was out of warranty. Of course, he refused so I told him I would never buy another HP product again (and I haven't).

Jeannie

HP is worse than most companies when it comes to driver support for any of their products.

I wouldn't agree with that statement.

Most chipped toner carts just keep you from using aftermarket carts, not make it impossible to use their carts due to age.

I've yet to have any major issues using third party cartridges. Often the page count won't read correctly, but that's okay given I'm paying 1/3rd the price (or lower).

Like hell they do. They never came up with a driver for my printer.

They have a universal driver that works on basically all HP printers, so, maybe go give that a shot? Besides, I did say "almost always". Perhaps your printer is the exception.

Some companies have bad support: some have excellent support. HP is one of the worst. The last time I tried to use them was for a monitor I had bought that could be rotated and the image was supposed automatically rotate except it didn't. The idiot I spoke to said my computer (an Acer, another company on my Specialized High Intensity Training list) was missing a file and I needed to contact Acer to get the file. He coudn't even tell me what the missing files. I asked him if HP was going to pay for Acer's tech help since it was out of warranty. Of course, he refused so I told him I would never buy another HP product again (and I haven't).

Sounds like you got a bad tech. Again, ups and downs for all of them.

I haven't had to utilize their support too much, but I suspect in your case, some software needed to be installed. The tech was definitely incompetent for not knowing how to resolve the situation, no question there. Usually auto-orientation monitors have a small application that runs in the system tray and tells Windows to change orientation.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

...They have a universal driver that works on basically all HP printers, so, maybe go give that a shot? Besides, I did say "almost always". Perhaps your printer is the exception...

Was the exception. This was years ago. That printer is history.

Jeannie

• 1 month later...

I am using LaserJet M1132 MFP bought few years ago. My first check was opinions (which was very good) and not qenuine toners avaiability.

What I can say ? It's perfect working model with scanner. The best is I am using it with CE 285A refurbished tonners non-stop avaible for 3.50 USD ? It was awesome deal ...