Is unshielded cat7 better than S/FTP cat 6?

Petoovee
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

Cat7 is not a TIA/EIA standard, only as ISO standard, and offers no improvement, benefit, etc. over Cat6a.

Just go with the shielded Cat6a, especially since you're running right next to high power lines.

Regarding overall speed in a home environment and resistance to EMF and such. I need to pull 2dm of cable parallel to a 240V socket, ~2 dm away. A stupid place to pull cable, but seeing as there is already a hole in the wall I'd rather not make Swiss cheese out of it. And since pricing is stupid (1usd/m @ 100m vs 1.5usd/m @ 50m) I'll need to buy a whole roll of 100m, so I'm unsure which one to choose.

Thoughts?

P.S, since I only need 2dm of cable I'll be buying the one with multiple threads in each line, I don't know what they're named in English.

Excuse my broken keyboard

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU - RX Vega 64

SSD - Samsung 970 M.2 500GB

HDD - WD Black 4TB

Mobo - Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

PSU - Corsair RM1000x

What the hell does dm mean ... 10 meters? ... so you need 20 meters? Did you mean cm?

Buy FTP / SFTP cat6 / cat6a ... it's enough for 10gbps and will get you the shielding. You can buy pre-made patch cords for such distances, don't have to buy 100m spools.

Thank you for the response! Sorry, I meant 20cm. Sadly pre-made isn't an option since the hole is too small to fit the head - giggity. But I'm fine with buying a roll, since I have the necessary tools and pre-made 20cm unshielded cat6 cables go for 6 USD! This way I can save a few lunches and have perfect length cables whenever I need. I'm just not sure which one to choose :)

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Buy FTP / SFTP cat6 / cat6a ... it's enough for 10gbps and will get you the shielding. You can buy pre-made patch cords for such distances, don't have to buy 100m spools.

Even if the pricing is the same?

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU - RX Vega 64

HDD - WD Black 4TB

PSU - Corsair RM1000x

Cat7 is not a TIA/EIA standard, only as ISO standard, and offers no improvement, benefit, etc. over Cat6a.

Just go with the shielded Cat6a, especially since you're running right next to high power lines.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Okay, thanks!

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU - RX Vega 64

HDD - WD Black 4TB

PSU - Corsair RM1000x

Aside from not being a TIA/EIA standard (meaning there is no enforcement of particular electrical and physical characteristics), Cat 7 cable is supposed to only be individually shielded. But since there is no enforcement of the standard, people can sell whatever they want as Cat 7, including unshielded cables. Some people have even started branding things “Cat 8” because they can. Unless its from a very trusted vendor, these “Cat 7” and “Cat 8” cables are often not much better than Cat 5e or 6. Some of the trusted cable brands are selling Cat 7 that is real, but its construction is basically the same as a shielded Cat 6a cable.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Also bear in mind shielding only works if both ends are grounded.

Not all consumer switches support grounding and the ones that do you usually have to do so manually as they typically run on DC adapters.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

20cm of parallel cable won’t affect your performance in any meaningful way for home (hobby) use - don't worry about it.

I have done x10 worse stuff and gotten away with it (quality within specs verified with $10k+ fluke instruments).

(Are your having special problems with EMF in your area? Clean up the pollution source. It most likely is a piece of old equipment or some cheap china equipment that dont comply with EMC-rules. This equipment can be installed in your own house/your neighbors house/any house connected to the same transformator you are connected to.)

9 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Also bear in mind shielding only works if both ends are grounded.

Actually it's often recommended to ground a cable only on one side especially if it's between buildings in open air.. has to do with potential differences between buildings, lightning strikes etc

4 hours ago, mariushm said:

Actually it's often recommended to ground a cable only on one side especially if it's between buildings in open air.. has to do with potential differences between buildings, lightning strikes etc

Between buildings yes, the same with electrical wiring.  Each building should have its own independent ground.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7