Are MMOs still a thing?

Daeudu

So, I spent a lot of time in my teens on MMOs (mainly Runescape). I was wondering if anyone still plays them. It seems to me nowadays everything is a triple A title, indie game or an e-sport. If they're still any good, what are the most played ones?

the only MMOs i have really botherd to play are BDO and miecraft. BDO was a lot of fun for a while but it just kinda stopped being fun pretty abruptly

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Elder Scrolls Online is doing pretty well. 

Just now, Khory211 said:

Elder Scrolls Online is doing pretty well. 

Yeah

mmo lite is a big genre right now, with shooter looters like borderlands 3, destiny, anthem hitting the scene.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

FFXIV remains a timesink for me. Player base is still growing. Don't think it topped peak WoW, but it's on that kind of magnitude.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

FFXIV, BDO, OSRS, and ESO are all still thriving communities.

there have been a lot of MMO's recently that came out and died pretty quick (lookin at you Bless).  honestly look into the older MMOs, they stuck around and stayed good

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

WoW and Elder Scrolls Online are doing well. 

The rest, like SWTOR, Age of Conan, various Asian MMOs, etc. are pay2win or otherwise heavily gated behind $$$. 

Eve Online is also active as far as I know, but that's a special case. 

MMOs as we know them will never again be a mainstream genre, simply because the experience of having a massive open world and playing with other people has long since ceased to be viewed as new and incredible by players. Add to this that MMOs have, paradoxically, killed the social aspect of their gameplay, and there really is very little reason for the average player today to get into a MMO. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I think you will like Guild Wars 2.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I still play RS3 and occasionally hop into SWTOR to level up my character.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

Guild Wars 2 if you want a casual game with a good combat system

Elder Scrolls Online if you want a casual grindy game

Final Fantasy 14 if you want a casual grindy game

World of Warcraft if you want a casual grindy game with extremely old graphics

All doing well and have their playerbases that are attracted to their games particular niche. GW2 core is free if you want to try it out and there are some trials for the other games I think.

Any of https://wargaming.net

World of Tanks is the one which hooked me hard..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

10 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

killed the social aspect of their gameplay, and there really is very little reason for the average player today to get into a MMO.

I found about this in WoT as I'm paying attention to the player behaviour this far, is that the most toxic players are the average players, the bellow-average players are just clueless (doesn't have much to talk in game) and being object of toxicity the most by others.

While the above-average and the pro players are the group that tend to much more emotionally controlled and the most silent in-game.

It's the average players that are the cancers in World of Tanks. Too much talk and commander-wannabe of the team and when they lose they blame the others annoyingly.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

8 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

I think you will like Guild Wars 2.

Did they really became an MMO or it's still a fake one ?

Last time i played was about 2 years ago and i couldn't even share quest with my wife.

You need to tell the other person which quest you take and each objective has to be achieved individually, No teamwork was possible.

Couldn't get into her class storyline quest as they were single player instance only.

90% of the maps were you do quest were instanced with max 6 or 8 players i think.

The only MMO part is one big chat room in the cities and travel maps had a dozen or so people to chat with.

15 hours ago, porina said:

FFXIV remains a timesink for me. Player base is still growing. Don't think it topped peak WoW, but it's on that kind of magnitude.

To be fair, FFXIV according to all info has 640k-ish number of players. It is not even remotely close to WoW. It is still one of the most popular MMOs out there no doubt. 

And I don't see anyone mentioning Destiny 2. Trust me, it is so worth it. I'd recommend FFXIV and D2 since they are completely different games. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

51 minutes ago, Franck said:

Last time i played was about 2 years ago and i couldn't even share quest with my wife.

You need to tell the other person which quest you take and each objective has to be achieved individually, No teamwork was possible.

Couldn't get into her class storyline quest as they were single player instance only.

90% of the maps were you do quest were instanced with max 6 or 8 players i think.

The only MMO part is one big chat room in the cities and travel maps had a dozen or so people to chat with.

You go through the world completing the objectives on the map so there are no quests in the traditional sense. If you and someone else is doing the same objectives in the same area you will both gain progress towards the objective so it's perfectly co-operative. Maps are not instanced with 6 or 8 players max never has been the case, places were rammed when the game came out, they are instanced in a sense but this only means you still find other players about if you choose to be in a populated instance. The world in WoW is now also instanced and no one would ever claim that not being an MMO

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

36 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

To be fair, FFXIV according to all info has 640k-ish number of players. It is not even remotely close to WoW. It is still one of the most popular MMOs out there no doubt. 

Always a difficult comparison given neither side gives details on active subscribers. What is a current estimate of WoW subscribers for comparison?

I was mostly going by a number thrown around in August 2017, shortly after the last major expansion, where FFXIV was said to have had 10 million cumulative players. This isn't active players, which is probably only a much smaller proportion of that. I saw a figure of 12M for the peak active WoW subscribers. Also how do you count active players? Like any established MMO, I know of people who only re-sub now and then to catch up but let it lapse between major content releases.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

52 minutes ago, Franck said:

Personal story is just that, if you don't make the same lore/race choices, this can happen. Living World and expansion stories are more open.

The open world is always open to co-operation and credit sharing. Online population of the game naturally fluctuates during the day and population of any given area depends on what's happening there and what's happening elsewhere. The game can unfortunately only have a limited amount of players in any given instance, and it favours balancing the instances rather than systematically filling one to the brim before opening another. I believe the instance size to be somewhere between 100 and 200 players, large squads (capped at 50) are a common sight on maps that have more than bunnies around. You can use LFG to hop between instances.

It sounds like you didn't play long enough to experience any of the good stuff. Even starting maps have world bosses, and they get overall very busy whenever one of them becomes the main daily achievement map. Outside of any particular events they of course can get pretty quiet, with just new players chopping their trees and occasional map completionists flying by. The world expands with expansions and LW seasons: there's currently 20 additional, unlockable maps in addition to the core game's 34 maps, and the game is of course growing. Most maps have open world content that requires the co-operation of a number of players.

37 minutes ago, porina said:

Always a difficult comparison given neither side gives details on active subscribers. What is a current estimate of WoW subscribers for comparison?

I was mostly going by a number thrown around in August 2017, shortly after the last major expansion, where FFXIV was said to have had 10 million cumulative players. This isn't active players, which is probably only a much smaller proportion of that. I saw a figure of 12M for the peak active WoW subscribers. Also how do you count active players? Like any established MMO, I know of people who only re-sub now and then to catch up but let it lapse between major content releases.

Oh, it was never 10M players, it was accounts that were made altogether. The game probably didn't sell half of that much altogether if we take ARR, HW and SB combined. 

I use mostly FFXIV Census:

https://ffxivcensus.com/

And I can't remember the link for other sites people pulled on reddit. I honestly wish it were 10M active players, DPS Qs wouldn't be a bitch. 

I really wouldn't know about WoW sadly. I was never into it. 

47 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Oh, it was never 10M players, it was accounts that were made altogether.

I got that. It was cumulative accounts, and I believe even includes "free" accounts.

I use mostly FFXIV Census:

https://ffxivcensus.com/

Had to wonder how they got those numbers, then saw on github they scrape lodestone records. In one way, I think their numbers will be a bit low, as their definition of active is passing reaching 4.1. I know of many players who are grinding through from the start and haven't even reached SB yet. OTOH it may also be high as multiple characters per account is possible. I have 3 chars which are more or less up to date (still need to finish 4.56 MSQ on two).

A more useful measure might be to define anyone who has had an active subscription in last xx days. Probably not possible to obtain that outside SE. An indirect way might be to change the criteria. Like store the levels of a character from lodetone, and if any level has increased in last xx days then you know they were active.

I honestly wish it were 10M active players, DPS Qs wouldn't be a bitch. 

It probably wont help DPS queues. I can't heal or tank so know that pain also. It is the ratio of class players that is the problem. It will be interesting to see how the NPC system in Shadow Bringers will affect that.

I really wouldn't know about WoW sadly. I was never into it. 

Likewise, never got into it although I did the free trial on and off a few times.

14 minutes ago, porina said:

It probably wont help DPS queues. I can't heal or tank so know that pain also. It is the ratio of class players that is the problem. It will be interesting to see how the NPC system in Shadow Bringers will affect that.

Actually you are right, though luckily I*have most jobs on 70 or swapping is a possibillity (that I don't prefer too much). 

10 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I found about this in WoT as I'm paying attention to the player behaviour this far, is that the most toxic players are the average players, the bellow-average players are just clueless (doesn't have much to talk in game) and being object of toxicity the most by others.

While the above-average and the pro players are the group that tend to much more emotionally controlled and the most silent in-game.

It's the average players that are the cancers in World of Tanks. Too much talk and commander-wannabe of the team and when they lose they blame the others annoyingly.

Dude, we're talking about MMORPGs here. WoT is a competitive F2P game, not a MMORPG with a persistent game world and quests and raids and stuff. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

4 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

Dude, we're talking about MMORPGs here. WoT is a competitive F2P game, not a MMORPG with a persistent game world and quests and raids and stuff. 

Ah.. My bad, because as I know WoT is one of MMO game out there.. LOL

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs: