Please talk me out of cutting a hole in my laptop

thacko

I didn't think this belonged in one of the troubleshooting forums, because I don't actually have any problems... yet.

So I use an external GPU with my laptop - long story short, when I want to play something, I connect an external PCI-E mount to my laptop's internal M.2 port (where the WiFi card usually goes, there's a picture of the port in IMG_1122). Here's the thing: to do this, I need to flip my laptop upside down and close it to access the port, requiring me to use a second, old monitor. This means that while it works, it does require some sacrifices in usability and general display quality. However, I recently thought of something. What if I cut a hole in the bottom of my laptop to run the M.2 cable through (the attached IMG_1121 has a rectangle drawn in the location of the cut)? I'm sure the plastic can't be that hard - what's stopping me from just taking a pocket knife and sawing a hole through it? The way I see it, there are a couple of things I need to consider:

• The hole needs to be sealed when I'm not using the eGPU. That's easy, I can just tape a dust filter over it.
  • I need to avoid trapping the cable when it's connected. This can be done by just propping up the laptop on some books.
  • I have to be sure I won't damage the components of the laptop. I feel like this is a good time to state that I'd remove the laptop's casing before cutting into it.

However, I'm worried that there's something I'm forgetting. I use this laptop more than I sleep; and if I messed it up, I'd be... disappointed. Do you see any potential downsides?

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

4 minutes ago, thacko said:

what's stopping me from just taking a pocket knife and sawing a hole through it?

Most likely the pocket knife itself...

Looks fine. Don't worry about it. Enjoy your first mod. You seem very reasonable and have definitely overthought this.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

Alright, I've been sufficiently egged on. I'll do it now and let you all know how it goes.

Quick update: there seems go be a metal layer inside the casing. This might take a while to cut.

So it worked, in the sense that my laptop now has a taped-over hole and the whole thing still functions. However, I forgot two things:

1. I need a way to ensure that the M.2 cable doesn't slip out of the port while I'm reattaching the casing. At the moment, it keeps slipping out before I turn the laptop on. (As I type this, I'm remembering that I could have just used the screw built into it to secure it...)
  2. I've just destroyed the resale value of the computer by putting a stonking great hole in it.

4 minutes ago, thacko said:

I've just destroyed the resale value of the computer by putting a stonking great hole in it.

Yeah, nobody will probably buy that now, but hey you just modded a laptop...

Thats pretty cool ? 

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

1 hour ago, thacko said:

Quick update: there seems go be a metal layer inside the casing. This might take a while to cut.

gun.exe

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I... thought this was going to be a much different topic.

Thankfully, it's not what I thought it was. ?