Monitor not working...

NickToye

Ok, so I've completed my first build, I haven't got a monitor as such - I do have a TV with HDMI connector.

So I've connected my HDMI cable from my TV/Monitor to my graphics card HDMI connector, nothing happens.  I basically get 'No Signal'.  Changed it to the HDMI on the motherboard, and get the same thing on the screen.

My computer is running, all the fans including the one on the GPU are running, LEDs are running.  But nothing is happening.  What could this be?

54 minutes ago, NickToye said:

Ok, so I've completed my first build, I haven't got a monitor as such - I do have a TV with HDMI connector.

So I've connected my HDMI cable from my TV/Monitor to my graphics card HDMI connector, nothing happens.  I basically get 'No Signal'.  Changed it to the HDMI on the motherboard, and get the same thing on the screen.

My computer is running, all the fans including the one on the GPU are running, LEDs are running.  But nothing is happening.  What could this be?

most likely your PC went into BIOS as that's standard for a first boot and some TV's/Monitors don't support the BIOS's weird screen resolution so it displays no signal

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Ok, so I heard no sounds to tell me, was expecting that I think.

So best bet is to grab a Dell or something fit for purpose.

Just before I dive off and buy another monitor, could it be anything else?

I got a few things you should test. First make sure you are already on the input on the tv before the pc is ON. Now take out the gfx card to test the onboard hdmi and see if you get anything there.
If you do then you know your tv can accept the signal and your ram is good and cpu and mobo are properly booting. If not it still could be resolution issue but most modern mobo UEFI "bios" will display at resolutions dependent to the display.
Either way if you get a picture or not then try again in the same fashion but with the video card. If you have a DVI to HDMI use that even some cards and pc on first boot want the dvi for some odd reason or it just is more likely to send the signal there faster.
But test every hdmi(prob just 1 or 2) on the video card and just make sure you shut off the machine every time you switch the cable> if that doesnt work i would try to borrow another monitor to test but i would lean to checking your ram seating and make sure they are compatible and plugged in all the way. Ram issues often cause absolutely no display

26 minutes ago, NickToye said:

Just before I dive off and buy another monitor, could it be anything else?

I can't add much more, @K1ng already gave you great things to try out! Though I'm pretty sure the ASUS Prime Z270-A doesn't default into BIOS on first startup, so perhaps that's not the problem anyhow.

2 hours ago, K1ng said:

I got a few things you should test. First make sure you are already on the input on the tv before the pc is ON. Now take out the gfx card to test the onboard hdmi and see if you get anything there.
If you do then you know your tv can accept the signal and your ram is good and cpu and mobo are properly booting. If not it still could be resolution issue but most modern mobo UEFI "bios" will display at resolutions dependent to the display.
Either way if you get a picture or not then try again in the same fashion but with the video card. If you have a DVI to HDMI use that even some cards and pc on first boot want the dvi for some odd reason or it just is more likely to send the signal there faster.
But test every hdmi(prob just 1 or 2) on the video card and just make sure you shut off the machine every time you switch the cable> if that doesnt work i would try to borrow another monitor to test but i would lean to checking your ram seating and make sure they are compatible and plugged in all the way. Ram issues often cause absolutely no display

Ok, well the ram is definitely compatible because I checked - when you say seating, I'm assuming you mean plugged into the mobo?  On the board I have 2 8mb ram modules installed in the 2nd and 4th slots.

I unplugged the power from the gfx card rather than take the whole card off the mobo, should i do that?

Would it help to upload a picture of my mobo as it currently stands?

17 minutes ago, AdamProgrammer said:

You don´t have your gpu conected with 6 pin power cable.

Yeah I know, I have my HDMI cable connected the onboard hdmi first of all as instructed by @K1ng

My onboard LEDs are showing Green for the BOOT_DEVICE_LED - the other 3, CPU_LED, DRAM_LED and VGA_LED flash their colours Red, Yellow and then White, then they go off and the BOOT_DEVICE_LED light remains green.  A quick search tells me that its unable to find an OS, which would be right, so I guess this is nothing to be concerned with at the moment.

I also checked the Ram and it is seated fine, I read somewhere that defective ram can short the PSU, but it can't be that because all my fans and leds are running.  I am a little concerned that I hear no beeps from the mobo.

1 hour ago, NickToye said:

Could this be my problem?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/TUF_Z270_MARK1/Z270_PRIME_TUF_STRIX_QVL.pdf?_ga=2.144817012.1739722422.1553993203-1649445430.1553768387

The memory I have has this part number.

CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 

It's not compatible is it?  

It should be fine.

Even so, standard default DDR4-2133 JEDEC specifications SHOULD work (e.g. All RAM run at DDR4-2133 JEDEC spec without XMP enabled).

If you are going to use the iGPU / on-board graphics, take the video card out.

Motherboards have a "sense" / auto-detect in the PCI-E X16 slots, so if there is a video card installed, it will automatically output through the video card.

Even without a boot device (no Windows installed on a SSD/HDD), you should still be able to make it into the UEFI BIOS.

That, at the very least, does not require an Operating System to access.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Ok, I took the GFX out and ran the test again, nothing new happened.  Also but concerned I don't get any sounds from the motherboard, but the POST seems to be running because I notice the 4 LEDs lighting up, but it sticks on the final one that goes green.

Should I get a VGA cable and try that?  This memory thing is still bothering me though.

This also looks similar to my issue, the final LED in POST stays green, which indicates Boot device.  The DRAM LED is supposed to stay Yellow if its an error with the RAM, and it comes on and then goes off, so I assume that is fine.

I just don't understand it.

Worth pressing that power button on the actual motherboard?

It’s alive!!!

i pressed that power button on Mobo.  Then powered down, connected hdmi to gfx and I’m in business. 

No beeps though.  

Glad to hear sorry i didnt reply sooner to help i had the flu and didnt even get on my pc for days. Pc can be weird sometimes. What i assume may have happened is the ram although not specifically compatible ryzen mobo typically have a method to test timings and speed until they find a compatible solution. It may have ended up finding one if you had tried to turn it on and just left it on for a really long time.

Hope your better - flu never good.

Well, I don't know if me pressing the power on button on the actual mobo kicked it into gear.  I was so close to buying some compatible memory with RGB too - because its all about the illumination eh? :)  Another time perhaps, for now it works and I'm quite happy with how its turned out.