Gaming laptop fan doesn't spin anymore

NinjaNick

I have an MSI GT62VR 6RE DOMINATOR PRO laptop that has given me nothing but headache. Only in the last few days did I notice that the right side fan doesn't spin anymore. The left side fan still works so at least the laptop can run but I wouldn't trust any games with only half the air output. I took the back cover off and re-plugged the fan header but no luck. Any other tips or fixes I could try? I really don't want to bring it to a technician as I already hate my experience with MSI and to sink more money into the piece of junk would pain me.

I mean if the fan isn't spinning and reconnecting doesn't fix it I would assume the fan is dead and needs to be replaced. I would probably look and see if replacing the fan yourself is difficult because I know alot of computer hardware with fans are pretty easy when it comes to fan replacements. Might as well check before you go through all the trouble. 

10 minutes ago, NinjaNick said:

I have an MSI GT62VR 6RE DOMINATOR PRO laptop that has given me nothing but headache. Only in the last few days did I notice that the right side fan doesn't spin anymore. The left side fan still works so at least the laptop can run but I wouldn't trust any games with only half the air output. I took the back cover off and re-plugged the fan header but no luck. Any other tips or fixes I could try? I really don't want to bring it to a technician as I already hate my experience with MSI and to sink more money into the piece of junk would pain me.

Well do you still have coverage? How old is this laptop? If you still have coverage they should fix it all for free but if not you may be SOL.

As brooksie said you can try to replace the fan yourself and could look up parts for that specific laptop but the probability of doing that without manufacture help if little.

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

2 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

Well do you still have coverage? How old is this laptop? If you still have coverage they should fix it all for free but if not you may be SOL.

As brooksie said you can try to replace the fan yourself and could look up parts for that specific laptop but the probability of doing that without manufacture help if little.

I have already had problems with the laptop before but MSI pretty much cheated me out of my warranty as their website said I had 1 yr + 3 months but the reps on the phone stated that was wrong and it's actually only 6 months + 3 months since the laptop was refurbished from Newegg when I bought it. Of course they decided to tell me this after 6+ calls and after my warranty was already past 9 months. I escalated to a supervisor who pretty much told me I'm out of luck. I'm never buying MSI again.

I would avoid warranty stuff unless a main component dies. 

Here's a tutorial for cleaning the fans, and it also serves as a fan replacement tutorial.

Seems like it's a couple of screws to get the bottom lid off, then a couple of screws on the fan itself to release it. Try to reseat the connection, it could be a loose connection if the fan suddenly died. 

A new fan doesn't seem to be expensive on eBay. 

Important: Make sure the same screw goes back in the same hole when reassembling, especially if there are different sizes and lengths on the screws. 

My only talent in life is troubleshooting and fixing stuff.

11 hours ago, TheKent said:

I would avoid warranty stuff unless a main component dies. 

Here's a tutorial for cleaning the fans, and it also serves as a fan replacement tutorial.

Seems like it's a couple of screws to get the bottom lid off, then a couple of screws on the fan itself to release it. Try to reseat the connection, it could be a loose connection if the fan suddenly died. 

A new fan doesn't seem to be expensive on eBay. 

Important: Make sure the same screw goes back in the same hole when reassembling, especially if there are different sizes and lengths on the screws. 

Thank you so much for finding that video! I for some reason could only find other MSI laptops on Youtube. When I had the bottom cover off I thought the heat pipes went through the fan so I would have to take off the whole cooling system but it looks to be much easier than that. I'll be sure to try and replace it myself now! :) 

So it is not spinning and reconnecting the header did'int work either? Open your laptop take out your fan and clean it with compressed air. If that still does not work then i'm sorry to say your fan is dead, and replacing it might be a good idea. Or if you still have warranty coverage then that might be a good idea to get it fixed for free.