Ryzen 5 2400G FreeNAS + Windows 10 VM?

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
Just now, plumptree said:

Transcoding would mean streaming from the source file type and changing it to another? Ex. .mkv to mp4? I will have all of my media already encoded as .mp4's which is usable on most of the devices I'm hoping to stream to (PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, Xbox).

Well, it should be able to handle several streams, then.

Hi there everyone.

I was curious as to whether or not I would be able to use a Ryzen 5 2400G as the CPU for a FreeNAS setup that also does a Windows 10 VM. It's at least better than a 2200G as this has SMT.

Here's the loadout for this (hopefully) soon to be build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU: Vega 11 iGPU

Mobo: MSI B450I or ASUS ROG B450-I

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB (1 to start with, this stuff is expensive)

I'm planning to put this in a Macintosh Plus 1Mb as a sleeper with the HDDs in a separate gutted Apple ii Floppy Disk drive.

Any help is appreciated, whether it be better recommendations for hardware, or if this thing would even work.

Thanks, Liam.

Edit: Functionality of NAS will be for Music, Movie, Video, and Picture backup most likely using Plex.

Edited by plumptree

6 minutes ago, plumptree said:

if this thing would even work

Yes, it would work.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, it would work.

Would it work well? Multiple 720p streams if the CPU is segmented to 2c4t for Windows and FreeNAS? and Is 8GB enough for FreeNAS or should allocate more to it and less to Windows?

3 minutes ago, plumptree said:

Multiple 720p streams

Streams of what? You never mentioned anything about video in the original post.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Streams of what? You never mentioned anything about video in the original post.

I apologize, I really should have mentioned that it is going to be a media NAS. I will most likely use Plex.

I apologize, I really should have mentioned that it is going to be a media NAS. I will most likely use Plex.

Just streaming files without any transcoding doesn't require much, but if it needs to also transcode those streams, then I don't think just two cores for it would fair too well.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Just streaming files without any transcoding doesn't require much, but if it needs to also transcode those streams, then I don't think just two cores for it would fair too well.

Transcoding would mean streaming from the source file type and changing it to another? Ex. .mkv to mp4? I will have all of my media already encoded as .mp4's which is usable on most of the devices I'm hoping to stream to (PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, Xbox).

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Thank you very much for your help. I'm still a while away from building so I'll learn everything I need between now and then. Thanks!

32 minutes ago, plumptree said:

Would it work well? Multiple 720p streams if the CPU is segmented to 2c4t for Windows and FreeNAS? and Is 8GB enough for FreeNAS or should allocate more to it and less to Windows?

If you want vms, id run proxmox for the much better vm system.

Also the windows vm won't use the video out, you need to use vnc or rdp to access it. If you want to use windows 10 with the display outs, id just run windows 10 on the host, and use storage spaces and make shares in windows.

20 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you want vms, id run proxmox for the much better vm system.

Also the windows vm won't use the video out, you need to use vnc or rdp to access it. If you want to use windows 10 with the display outs, id just run windows 10 on the host, and use storage spaces and make shares in windows.

Would I be able to just put in a crappy PCIe video out card that would output the video for the NAS and have the integrated graphics passed through to windows? LTT did this years ago with an intel CPU and an actually good GPU.

Would I be able to just put in a crappy PCIe video out card that would output the video for the NAS and have the integrated graphics passed through to windows? LTT did this years ago with an intel CPU and an actually good GPU.

Passthrough is kinda of a pain, and not supported on freenas.

Just run windows 10 on this box, no reason to mess with vms for a nas here, windows makes a good nas.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Passthrough is kinda of a pain, and not supported on freenas.

Just run windows 10 on this box, no reason to mess with vms for a nas here, windows makes a good nas.

Would I still be able to stream my content on the HDDs to other devices easily? (Other PCs, Macs, iPhones, Androids, Xbox One/PS4/Roku)

7 minutes ago, plumptree said:

Would I still be able to stream my content on the HDDs to other devices easily? (Other PCs, Macs, iPhones, Androids, Xbox One/PS4/Roku)

yep that will all work on windows shares, it uses the same type as freenas(smb/cifs for most uses). Plex also works fine

Just wanted to add that mp4/avi/mkv are just containers (like zip/rar) and the encoding is what matters whether or not it will need to be transcoded. If you're using Gen1-2 Chromecast and try to cast a HEVC/H265 movie, it will be transcoded. Then you have the same problem with audio stream inside a movie, there's a large variety of codecs (though this is usually a lot less taxing than video encoding).

If your movies are all h264 you should be pretty solid unless you want to reduce the quality on a remote device (say you're watching a movie that's 1080p on your phone but you only want 720p to save bandwidth, it will be transcoded).

But honestly I used a X5670 (9 year old CPU) for a year or two and it handled 3 1080p streams without much sweat, so I think your modern processor and offloading to your video card should work just fine.