do gamers need pc cases

Alexthenoobgamer101
Go to solution Solved by Bananasplit_00,

they keep dust out and makes sure air gets where it needs too, like the VRM but yah you can skip the case if you dont have anything that would bother a large PCB sitting out in the open

do gamers need pc cases   

37 members have voted

1. 1. do gamers need pc cases

• yes
    • no

I know that pc cases just make the whole set up look better and it keeps your computer from overheating but still, they aren't 100% necessary plus you could save money by not buying a case

they keep dust out and makes sure air gets where it needs too, like the VRM but yah you can skip the case if you dont have anything that would bother a large PCB sitting out in the open

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Sychic said:

I saw some reddit post recently where a guy just put his build in a cardboard box

that's just straight up sad

Need is a strong word.

If you think about it, a test bench is basically just a fancy not-case. Plenty of people use those in their daily rigs, and every reviewer I know of used them for benchmarking.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 minute ago, Alexthenoobgamer101 said:

that's just straight up sad

That's not sad, it's just an ePiC gAmEr LiFe HaCk

if you say so

gamers these days

4 minutes ago, Sychic said:

I saw some reddit post recently where a guy just put his build in a cardboard box

i used a cardboard box as a case for a bit for the LAN PC, works fine but its not that nice

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Well, a case is rather important if you don't want a mangled mess of wires and such.

no case is similar to a phone case you dont need it. Ive run my older i5 4690k pc without a case for a year

lives on

BAKABT

A gamer doesn't even need a PC, just a pair of dice.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I’ve built my old fx system in a box, I use it as a encoding pc, or just a home entertainment system. My first pc was the a8-3870k in 2016 and I was so much on a budget that I literally didn’t buy a cooler at first, thinking I could have my add unit blow on it, I did eventually invest in a cheap thermal take heat sink, anyways back on track this was on my dresser with a 10ft vga cable coming down to my monitor and I had a wireless mouse and keyboard. I ended up shorting the motherboard when my cat stripped took off the EPS connector and as big of a dumbass as I am I thought it was to jump cmos just for a second enough to put it on my motherboard and then suddenly everything shut off with smoke and spark coming from where I had put the wire. Sad days, but you don’t need case unless you’re clumsy

I've seen plenty of really snazzy looking builds that are literally just built onto the wall. So no, it's not necessary. In fact, it can look straight up badass without it.

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

A gamer doesn't even need a PC, just a pair of dice.

My friend didn’t want a pc but wanted the aesthetic from it, he spent 100 on a nice case with rgb everywhere and I put in a cheap motherboard and everything, just a 120 go ssd, he was going to use it for YouTube and nothing else. So we ended up having a liquid cooled APU from 2012 with 4gb of ddr3 in a beast of a case. 

Just now, Juniiii said:

My friend didn’t want a pc but wanted the aesthetic from it, he spent 100 on a nice case with rgb everywhere and I put in a cheap motherboard and everything, just a 120 go ssd, he was going to use it for YouTube and nothing else. So we ended up having a liquid cooled APU from 2012 with 4gb of ddr3 in a beast of a case. 

That is truly terrible to hear ? lol

2 hours ago, Sychic said:

Ahem:

1112909032_2018-11-1821_26_51.thumb.jpg.dda17246e5cd7136efb5a03353a60d7e.jpg

Yes, I "built the PC in the motherboard box"... literally!

(Currently 3D printing a frame, so I can mount it in a book instead...)

I mean they can be a sleeper case if you want to, but I would be more to the opinion of you needing one since a case isn't necessarily just to make the rig look nice. I would want to keep the hardware I have safe from well... Me. Like so if I sin and spill a Bepsi on my desk, I wouldn't want God to send his lightning down and kill my PC by flooding my MOBO with holy water or whatever.

2 minutes ago, Underfire17 said:

Plz, say it had a ventilation hole somewhere.

Plz. I'm better than that. Yes it does. So will the book, once I've sat down to glue the pages together. XD

Back + top + rear, so bottom as footing, front looks nice (no holes).

My current PC draws around 140watts on max testing, so a 160w pcio psu and 190w laptop brick should power it.

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

Plz. I'm better than that. Yes it does. So will the book, once I've sat down to glue the pages together. XD

Back + top + rear, so bottom as footing, front looks nice (no holes).

My current PC draws around 140watts on max testing, so a 160w pcio psu and 190w laptop brick should power it.

Thank God! I have friends who did something like that, and... Oof! I literally lost faith in humanity for a second.

4 minutes ago, ActuallyMediocreOC said:

WHY HAVE I NEVER THOUGHT OF BUILDING PCS INSIDE BOOKS

Because we have not yet transcended into the modding plane. Patience, dear forum user. With time, it will come.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

16 minutes ago, Underfire17 said:

Plz, say it had a ventilation hole somewhere.

i hope it dose 

54 minutes ago, ActuallyMediocreOC said:

But I have, I do mods all the time. Thats my thing! I shoulda thought of this by now!

Did you make that crate PC in your posts/album? Oh. I know someone wanting one of those.