Win update bricked my os (help pls)

Baummagseinekekse

I havent installed updates for the past few months ( i blocked them), and now downloaded the update tool from the microsoft website. It restarted my pc when it was done. After reboot, logging in took a solid 6 minutes and now all i see is a black background, the taskbar (which is constantly diss- and reapearing ), and only my main monitor displays anything, the other two are black but have a signal. I cant do or click anything, the only thing that works is my cursor. Does anyone know how to fix or whats going on?

1553521672691209349913.jpg

Edited by Baummagseinekekse
Added pic

explorer.exe is fucked

try repairing windows

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

ok soooo im almost positive that the download didnt install right and it somewhat corrupted your disk, doesnt look too severe, so what you wanna do is you wanna open windows in safe mode go to command prompt, and open it up as admin, after that type in chkdsk, that will determine if its bad sectors, if it detects so then type in chkdsk /f, once it does that it will say do you want to perform a disk check y/n type y and restart the system

ps if you dont know how to do safemode on windows 10, click the restartbutton while holding down the shift key

Well you shouldn't have pissed Bill off and just installed the updates regularly like a good little boy. Now his revenge is upon you.

But other than pray to Bill for forgiveness you could try the above, and if that doesn't help:

- Do you have valuable data on the PC?

- Do you have another PC/laptop at your disposal?

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

50 minutes ago, Baummagseinekekse said:

I havent installed updates for the past few months ( i blocked them), and now downloaded the update tool from the microsoft website. It restarted my pc when it was done. After reboot, logging in took a solid 6 minutes and now all i see is a black background, the taskbar (which is constantly diss- and reapearing ), and only my main monitor displays anything, the other two are black but have a signal. I cant do or click anything, the only thing that works is my cursor. Does anyone know how to fix or whats going on?

Check your drivers first. You'll need to get into safe mode. To do that from outside of Windows, hold down your power button to hard crash the machine. Boot up again, and as soon as you see the Windows icon, hard crash it again. Do that one more time, then on the next reboot, let Windows fully load. It should take you into the recovery options screen. From there, go to Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Startup Settings and restart. Once you've rebooted, hit 4 for safe mode.

If Windows fully boots, you have a driver that didn't play nice with the installation. Press Windows Key+R and type in "cmd" (without quotes). Once in, type the following exactly as it appears here:

sfc /scannow

That will start a scan and repair process that will look for damaged Windows system files and repair them. If it finds and corrects errors, that probably fixed it. Reboot.

If it doesn't find any errors or it still reboots to a black screen, you'll have to start effing with drivers. Download DDU onto a thumb drive from a different PC, then reboot into safe mode again, copy it to your desktop, extract it and run it to clear your display drivers. In my experience, this is the driver that takes a dump most of the time. Choose the right drivers for your GPU (AMD, Intel or NVIDIA) and run it first as "clear and do not restart". After that's done, run it again as "clear and restart". At this point, your PC should boot cleanly all the way into Windows. If it does, get the right GPU drivers directly from the manufacturer's site and install them. Your problem should be solved, although you might want to use the sfc /scannow command from within Windows just to give yourself a little piece of mind. If you're still having problems, you'll need to start manually rolling back drivers in Safe Mode until you identify the one that's causing your problems, then uninstall that driver and update it from Device Manager within the clean, functioning Windows.

Alternatively, you can nuke the fucker from inside of Safe Mode by resetting Windows. You don't need to wipe the disk entirely because this is almost certainly a system file problem, but you will need to reinstall your programs afterwards. Windows will place a file on your desktop showing you what was removed so you know what to reinstall and where. Once Windows is reinstalled, do not touch the Windows Update button. Microsoft will update you automatically when it's time to do so.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just a small idea before doing anything major - have you tried re-launcihng explorer.exe from Task Manager? Just curious to see if that does anything...

1 minute ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

Just a small idea before doing anything major - have you tried re-launcihng explorer.exe from Task Manager? Just curious to see if that does anything...

seems like when he said that the task bar is reappearing over and over again, i think thats explorer.exe automatically doing that, thats why i told him to check his disk to make sure its not corrupted cause that was the case for me.

5 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

seems like when he said that the task bar is reappearing over and over again, i think thats explorer.exe automatically doing that, thats why i told him to check his disk to make sure its not corrupted cause that was the case for me.

OP didn't say what their storage situation looks like. chkdsk takes a lot of life off of an SSD, so I just don't use it on them. On a physical hard drive or a hybrid, sure, but on a pure SSD it puts too much stress and wear to ever be worth it imo.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

in my case it was a windows update that didnt install right,  this resulted in a startup driver getting corrupted and not even being able to acsess safe mode. because of that i had to format the drive and grab a old usb i had with a copy of windows 10 on it and reinstall it

Stuff like this should be expected from any Windows 10 installation that has Windows Update enabled and which receives feature updates. I've had it happen to me 2 or 3 times.

To avoid the possibility of these issues, disable Windows Update, or get Windows 10 LTSC which doesn't get feature updates but still gets security updates.

Windows 10 LTSC is available on eBay right now for $5, with multiple listings at $6.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

When you force update using the tool, you are.. well.. forcing the update. You are by-passing update blocks which you might be affected.

For example, let's say your GPU drivers isn't supported, where you end up with a black screen, or BSOD issues. If you have Windows Update, it would update the GPU driver first where the issue is fixed and then upgrade to the latest version of Windows that it wold get/install afterwards. Now, I am not saying that it is your GPU driver, this is just an example to explain how Windows Update works. The install of the latest GPU drivers, assuming it is an issue with the latest version of Windows 10 in this example, would remove the update block as it would be no longer an issue, and then update to latest version of Windows 10.

Beside drivers, issues can happen with software you have installed on your system, like anti-virus which might trigger and block partial update process due to false positive being triggered (for example), to overclock software or other types of third party system utility that may cause issue. Heck, even anti-cheating software used by games that uses drivers to get to the kernel and do things might brick the update (this is something that is happening with Insider program as we speak... security fixes on the coming up version of Windows 10, is causing issues with BattleEye anti-cheat system, Microsoft is trying to work with BattleEye to get it resolved before the version is released, to avoid putting an update block on day 1 related to this).

So what can you do now?

Well the best thing you can do, in my opinion, is to fallback. Simply go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery, and pick "Get Started" button under "Go back to a previous version of Windows 10" section.

Before you start made heavy changes, please disconnect all monitors except one. Then boot.

You may also try to boot using integrated gpu if my first advice not fix that issue.