What power supply should i be aiming for with a gtx 970

Dr Seuss

K I recently bought a refurbished computer to game on(im not a hardcore gamer but I play pretty often) here's my specs

Intel i5-4590 3.3 GHz 

8gb Ram

500gb HDD

(currently) GT 1030 GPU

(I will be getting 120gb ssd in near future)

I have decided I need an upgrade from this horrifying gpu I stupidly got, so I am looking to buy a gtx 970 off of a friend who is upgrading, however, because I got this pc refurbished, the psu is stock, at 300W with no extra power cables. So here I am looking for a psu with min 500W and 6pin pcie connectors, but after seeing the dangers of a faulty psu or one that's not a good brand, I am concerned on what I should be getting. I am a little budget tight, I would hope not to spend over 50$ on one, the psu I am currently looking at is an EVGA 500W 80+ White certified on amazon... I don't know much about power supplies, but i figured this would be enough to handle my moderate system, but because I don't want my components fried, I am looking for a second opinion

Good power supplies start at 450 watts, which is more than enough for you. I recommend the Corsair CX or CXM models, the cheapest ones suit your needs great. Click the PSU in my signature to see the PSU tier list. If you're super strapped for cash, the EVGA B series is just good enough but not as decent as some nicer PSU models.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Good power supplies start at 450 watts, which is more than enough for you. I recommend the Corsair CX or CXM models, the cheapest ones suit your needs great. Click the PSU in my signature to see the PSU tier list. If you're super strapped for cash, the EVGA B series is just good enough but not as decent as some nicer PSU models.

Isn't min for gtx 970 500W?

I would rather not skimp on my cash with a psu(if that makes somehow, I'm on a budget but i don't want the cheapest thing out there)

And is there a quality difference between corsair and evga brands?

1 minute ago, Dr Seuss said:

Isn't min for gtx 970 500W?

No, the recommended from Nvidia is min 500 but a 4590 and a 970 will consume like 250 watts at the very most. It's a gross overestimate.

2 minutes ago, Dr Seuss said:

I would rather not skimp on my cash with a psu(if that makes somehow, I'm on a budget but i don't want the cheapest thing out there)

Trust me that's a good way to feel about it. A quality PSU is a good investment.

And is there a quality difference between corsair and evga brands?

Not the brands, but the models. EVGA makes some crap units (like the 80+ white you were considering) but also some great ones (like the G2 that I use). Same with Corsair, they make crap units (like the VS series) but also decent budget units (like the CX and CXM likes) or even great ones (like the RMX line)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Not the brands, but the models. EVGA makes some crap units (like the 80+ white you were considering) but also some great ones (like the G2 that I use). Same with Corsair, they make crap units (like the VS series) but also decent budget units (like the CX and CXM likes) or even great ones (like the RMX line)

K so good thing I came and asked cuz now I know the one I was looking at is trash. 

So looking at corsair(on amazon) a 450W 80+ Bronze CX Series is 46$, you're sure that I don't need 500W?

and what is this non-modular, semi-modular crap?

Just now, Dr Seuss said:

you're sure that I don't need 500W?

Certain of it, read my signature for a reference, I've got my rig and power draw. You can also click my PSU to see the tier list I refer to when making power supply recommendations.

Primary PC:

and what is this non-modular, semi-modular crap?

Non modular, semi modular, and fully modular are all cable styles. non modular means cables can't be removed, so you have to deal with the rats nest, semi modular means all the cables but the CPU power and motherboard power can be removed, and fully modular means all the cables can be removed from the unit. Nice to have but not necessary.

Primary PC:

oh. Okay one more question then. there is a white certified and bronze certified for this cx one as well, is white even worth looking at, or should I stay clear away from those?

Just now, Dr Seuss said:

oh. Okay one more question then. there is a white certified and bronze certified for this cx one as well, is white even worth looking at, or should I stay clear away from those?

I've never recommended a white unit before, not that 80+ white is inherently bad but as it so happens only cheapo units are 80+ white certified. The baseline is 80+ bronze and not all 80+ bronze units are worth your hard earned cash.

Primary PC:

2 hours ago, Dr Seuss said:

A white-certified Corsair CX 450 doesn't exist. There is only one model of Corsair CX450, and it's 80+ Bronze. 

3 hours ago, Dr Seuss said:

So looking at corsair(on amazon) a 450W 80+ Bronze CX Series is 46$, you're sure that I don't need 500W?

The CX450 isn't suitable, as from memory I believe most GTX970s use two PCIe connectors and the CX450 only has one PCIe cable.
The CX550 is a few dollars more at $54, but has the appropriate connectors you will need. Depending where you buy it from you may even be eligible to claim a $15 mail in rebate.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

A white-certified Corsair CX 450 doesn't exist. There is only one model of Corsair CX450, and it's 80+ Bronze. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTZ96RU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The CX450 isn't suitable, as from memory I believe most GTX970s use two PCIe connectors and the CX450 only has one PCIe cable.
The CX550 is a few dollars more at $54, but has the appropriate connectors you will need. Depending where you buy it from you may even be eligible to claim a $15 mail in rebate.

Well that sucks. I'm trying to stay on amazon, so no rebates

Just now, Dr Seuss said:

Yeah, that's the 80+ Bronze. It's not 80+ white. (which are efficiency ratings for PSUs)
Corsair CX Series 450 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Non-Modular Power Supply (CP-9020120-NA)

1 minute ago, Dr Seuss said:

Well that sucks. I'm trying to stay on amazon, so no rebates

If you click the button on that page for the 550W model it will show you pricing for the CX550 (2017). $53.99, so only $7 more than the CX450.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Yeah, that's the 80+ Bronze. It's not 80+ white. (which are efficiency ratings for PSUs)
Corsair CX Series 450 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Non-Modular Power Supply (CP-9020120-NA)

Yes but you can switch it to 80+ white with the tab below. But it doesn't matter cuz I don't want a white anyways.

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you click the button on that page for the 550W model it will show you pricing for the CX550 (2017). $53.99, so only $7 more than the CX450.

Ya I saw that, I'm prolly gonna end up doing that. Though it is discounted, and I'm not gonna be able to buy it until maybe the weekend. I sincerely hope amazon isn't stupid and pulls the discount off an hour before I buy it.

Just now, Dr Seuss said:

Yes but you can switch it to 80+ white with the tab below. But it doesn't matter cuz I don't want a white anyways.

That switches it to a completely different unit; the VS450. If you select the 80+ Gold selection it will take you to the SF450, which is a SFX (small form factor) PSU. It's just Amazon's weird way of listing items where it shows filters that will swap it to a different model based on what you select.

This is the one you want: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRW2K79

Corsair CX Series 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Non-Modular Power Supply (CP-9020121-NA)

Ya I saw that, I'm prolly gonna end up doing that. Though it is discounted, and I'm not gonna be able to buy it until maybe the weekend. I sincerely hope amazon isn't stupid and pulls the discount off an hour before I buy it.

The CX is pretty much always on special. I can't remember the last time I saw it when it wasn't on special.