Best price to performance laptop under $1000 - acer predator helios 300?

Hi, 
I am looking for a laptop for programming and also to game a little bit. My budget is $1000. So far I found Acer predator helios 300 is the best bang for the buck. It's got 8750h, 16gb ram, 1060 6gb, 256 gb nvme ssd, and 144hz display. It cost $999 on amazon. Do you guys know any laptop that would provide more performance for the money?
Thank you. 

i would go for the y7000 w/1060 or the y530. 

they have 144hz option but that is more expensive. build quality and looks (IMO) are much better. 

i got mine with 1060, 8750h, 16gb ram, 256gbssd and 1tb hdd for 950 on costco during a sale. 

If you want to save a few dollars, and Call Of Duty 4 Black Ops for free, then you can grab the Asus ROG Strix Hero II Gaming Laptop from Walmart, and then grab a stick of Ballistix Sport LT 8GB RAM from Amazon, and end up with basically the same laptop, with a game, all the while saving ~$3 to $4 USD.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 hour ago, Saksham said:

i would go for the y7000 w/1060 or the y530. 

they have 144hz option but that is more expensive. build quality and looks (IMO) are much better. 

i got mine with 1060, 8750h, 16gb ram, 256gbssd and 1tb hdd for 950 on costco during a sale. 

Thanks for mentioning the item. But cosco does not support my country. In fact I had to use vpn to get in their site. Its $999 now. Sadly I can't reach it. 

1 minute ago, troublefish said:

Thanks for mentioning the item. But cosco does not support my country. In fact I had to use vpn to get in their site. Its $999 now. Sadly I can't reach it. 

where are you?

24 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

If you want to save a few dollars, and Call Of Duty 4 Black Ops for free, then you can grab the Asus ROG Strix Hero II Gaming Laptop from Walmart, and then grab a stick of Ballistix Sport LT 8GB RAM from Amazon, and end up with basically the same laptop, with a game, all the while saving ~$3 to $4 USD.

Wow! This is really a fantastic option. And those RGB's are just glorious.

By the way are your sure there is 1x8gb in it not 2x4gb?

12 minutes ago, Saksham said:

where are you?

I am not comfortable sharing my location. Please understand.

I'll be using a third party company who brings product from amazon, newegg, ebay, Walmart etc. Unfortunately they do not support costco. 

B&H has the Lenovo Y7000 for $1100

Dell has a 17% promo code for their online store right now: SAVE17.  This can bring a 2060 equipped G5 down to $1155. Also, I found two videos that provide a decent look at the new G5's chassis and cooling performance as well as some of the more peculiar decisions Dell made with this new model. Both by a youtuber: OWNorDisown Here and Here.

3 hours ago, troublefish said:

Wow! This is really a fantastic option. And those RGB's are just glorious.

By the way are your sure there is 1x8gb in it not 2x4gb?

Reviewers of this product stated that it had 1 8GB stick 

First off, its an amazing laptop! That being said, there are a few things they could of did to make it a little better, especially for the price of $1,099. First, it only comes with one 8GB stick of RAM, second, it only can with a 256GB drive. But, its a M.2 PCIe SSD, which is very fast. However, there is a second bay for a second drive. For the price of $1,099, it should of came with 16GB of RAM and a second hard drive for storage. I gave it for 4 stars cause of that. It would be 5 stars all day if it came with 16GB of RAM and a second hard drive. But overall, its a beast of a laptop. Would highly recommend if your in the market for a powerful, yet light and portable gaming laptop. -JHare270, March 9, 2019

This Asus ROG Strix Hero II Gaming Laptop looks sleek because of narrow screen bezel and RGB backlight keyboard. System equips with i7 8750H, Nvidia GTX 1060 video, and 144hz refresh rate which makes no blurry image when you are gaming with this machine. It also comes with 256GB PCI-E SSD storage drive which is 4-5 times read/write faster than SATA SSD hard drive. You no longer need to wait at all to open any large files. The system only comes with 8GB DDR4 but you can upgrade to the max of 32GB if needes to. GTX 1060 is also VR ready so this machine is future proof if needed. Interesting enough this laptop also has networking card that carries multi-antenna which gives more range and fewer connection drops. For the sleek look and the spec this is definitely one of the gaming laptop I would recommend to any friend and family. I am writing this review as part of a contest. -evtrend33, October 24, 2018

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

3 hours ago, troublefish said:

I am not comfortable sharing my location. Please understand.

I'll be using a third party company who brings product from amazon, newegg, ebay, Walmart etc. Unfortunately they do not support costco. 

i just need a country. i dont need an excat address man. 

6 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Reviewers of this product stated that it had 1 8GB stick 

Can you tell me between lenovo y7000 and asus strix hero II, which one would be better? 

6 hours ago, Saksham said:

i just need a country. i dont need an excat address man. 

Bangladesh

13 minutes ago, troublefish said:

Can you tell me between lenovo y7000 and asus strix hero II, which one would be better? 

Honestly I would take an ASUS laptop over a Lenovo one any day, but that is due to personal preference. But as far as I can tell the Legion y7000 either costs more or comes at a hardware disadvantage (when it comes to specs) when compared to the ASUS laptop (such as increasing the SSD storage size from 256GB to 512GB while maintaining 8GB of RAM, losing the game, and increasing the cost of the laptop by $50 USD and ). All in all I personally recommend grabbing the Strix, and adding an 8GB stick, but what you choose in the end is all up to you.

12 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Honestly I would take an ASUS laptop over a Lenovo one any day, but that is due to personal preference. But as far as I can tell the Legion y7000 either costs more or comes at a hardware disadvantage (when it comes to specs) when compared to the ASUS laptop (such as increasing the SSD storage size from 256GB to 512GB while maintaining 8GB of RAM, losing the game, and increasing the cost of the laptop by $50 USD and ). All in all I personally recommend grabbing the Strix, and adding an 8GB stick, but what you choose in the end is all up to you.

I'll be going for strix. I haven't bought from Walmart before. If I add ram, it wouldn't void warranty right?

15 minutes ago, troublefish said:

I'll be going for strix. I haven't bought from Walmart before. If I add ram, it wouldn't void warranty right?

I just took a look at ASUS's warranty, and while the original warranty states that if the "warranty void if removed" stickers are tampered with well then your warranty is void, although due to pressure from the FTC (Federal Trade Commission ) ASUS has caved, and thereby your warranty will not be voided by this unless you damage your laptop in the process, although do note unless the company has a presence in your country you may still lose out on the warranty regardless of which laptop you choose.

12 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

If I add the above mentioned ram will it run in dual channel?

4 hours ago, troublefish said:

Bangladesh

So you're buying in your country? If yes, any links of online stores? (or mention other international online stores that can ship to your country)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

13 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

So you're buying in your country? If yes, any links of online stores? (or mention other international online stores that can ship to your country)

backpackbang.com

They don't have any store of their own. You give them links of the product that you want to buy and they buy them and bring it to you.

12 minutes ago, troublefish said:

You give them links of the product that you want to buy

from where? Amazon only?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

43 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

from where? Amazon only?

They claim all US based websites. But so far I've only seen people using popular sites like Amazon, Walmart, newegg, ebay etc

On 3/24/2019 at 7:21 AM, troublefish said:

They claim all US based websites. But so far I've only seen people using popular sites like Amazon, Walmart, newegg, ebay etc

This is literally asking for trouble. Are there any stores local to you?

Quality control on consumer laptops is horrible right now. It's not so much an issue of if, but when you have an issue you have nothing to fall back on. You might check that whatever brand you buy from has a first party warranty center in your country as well. Without one a warranty is pretty meaningless.

On 3/24/2019 at 2:30 AM, troublefish said:

If I add the above mentioned ram will it run in dual channel?

No there are only two slots in total, which means that you are limited to single channel performance.

Lenovo Legion Y7000 81LF0005US / 81LF0007US

MSI GP73 by CUK

If can bump up budget by a bit more:

Asus GL504GM-WH71

Lenovo Legion Y7000 81LF0006US

Desktop specs:

Spoiler