i7 8700 or Ryzen 7 2700x

One of my friends is an architecture student. He is gonna be using some softwares with 3d design related softwares, so basically 3d design, rendering etc. At first I told him to go for 2700x as it beats even 8700k in render times, let alone 8700. But an 8700 user said the render is fast but the workflow isn't smooth at all in 2700x. The design you are making, if you zoom in or out, he says it lags on Ryzen but is smooth on 8700. A 2700x user had to use 8700k for his works he said. Can you guys shed some lights on that? Also if this topic was discussed before please guide me there. The real concern here is smooth workflow not render time as we know Ryzen beats 8700. 

Depends on the actual software being used really.

Some works better on AMD and some works best on Intel.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

9 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Depends on the actual software being used really.

Some works better on AMD and some works best on Intel.

As Ankerson says depends on software, I use a Ryzen R7 2700 for video rendering for my church 4k videos to convert to 1080p 60hrtz and I don't have the same problem as your colleague. Some processors are optimized for different software. So check before buying. 

My Main System :  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hk4pcY (Silverstone Sugo SG13W) 

My Home Gaming Pc : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hk4pcY (Silverstone RVZ03) 

O

Most architect software's are pretty shit when it comes to optimization. You would likely be better off doing an i7 tbh. I work on the mechanical side of buildings so I deal with ducts and piping and use alot of the same software as the architects that way it all can be in one model. I dont see why they would need to do a bunch of rendering though. The architects I work with just have blueprints with some simple looking figures and sectional views. Nothing that the 2700x would particularly excel at. Maybe you should ask then what software they use? I know the 2 main software's I encounter are autocad and revit. Both are made by the same company but revit is 3d models that can then be printed off as 2d blueprints and then there is autocad which is just a 2d program that you make blueprints in. I have also worked in Microstation but that is just a worse version of autocad tbh. Anyways I would say that an i7 8700 would be plenty. I work in some pretty big projects and I do just fine with my work computer that is running a 4th gen locked i5. 

They will be using 3dsmax, Maya, Sketchup, Lumion etc. According to the 8700 user, these use single core performance more. I study CSE and use Android Studio or Eclipse and I can feel how bad my i5 does with it's 2 cores. And as I do a lot of tasks at once I would go for Ryzen for that. But I am not familiar to these softwares so I basically don't know. Please shed some light on that.

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Maybe you should ask then what software they use? 

They will be using 3dsmax, Maya, Sketchup, Lumion etc. According to the 8700 user, these use single core performance more. I study CSE and use Android Studio or Eclipse and I can feel how bad my i5 does with it's 2 cores. And as I do a lot of tasks at once I would go for Ryzen for that. But I am not familiar to these softwares so I basically don't know. Please shed some light on that.

6 hours ago, Fatin Faiaz Isty said:

The only one of those software's I have used is sketchup. You should probably understand that the i7 8700 is a six core processor so it wont have issues multitasking. I have the 8700k and the 2700x. The 2700x is slightly better at multitasking but the 8700k us slightly faster when it comes to general use. I wouldn't worry too much about the i7 being capable or not. 

3DS Max and Maya are going to be just fine on either option. For the record, they are actually 3D Animation Suites, so much better optimized and much more powerful than ... pretty much any architectural software out there, since they are built to handle millions and millions of polys in scene. 

If he renders using Mental Ray (Maya's built in. Great software.) he will find that utilizing the 16 threads on that 2700x will be pretty sexy.

There won't be any inherent lagginess with either option. Scene size or model optimization will determine a lot in terms of how much ANY pc on ANY CPU can handle. These are both good hardware. IMO, he should go with the better value of the two. (Ryzen I am thinking.) Though it may be beneficial to see what 3rd gen looks like.

44 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

3DS Max and Maya are going to be just fine on either option. For the record, they are actually 3D Animation Suites, so much better optimized and much more powerful than ... pretty much any architectural software out there, since they are built to handle millions and millions of polys in scene. 

If he renders using Mental Ray (Maya's built in. Great software.) he will find that utilizing the 16 threads on that 2700x will be pretty sexy.

There won't be any inherent lagginess with either option. Scene size or model optimization will determine a lot in terms of how much ANY pc on ANY CPU can handle. These are both good hardware. IMO, he should go with the better value of the two. (Ryzen I am thinking.) Though it may be beneficial to see what 3rd gen looks like.

Well if it was me I would go for Ryzen eyes closed. I suggested as well but, you know, some people in my country like brand value. So it seemed he was more interested in intel. So I thought okay, 8700 is a very good cpu as well (although I would prefer the K one even if it requires pricey instruments) so I gave him a build with that. Thanks for the opinions, really learned a lot.

2 hours ago, Fatin Faiaz Isty said:

Well if it was me I would go for Ryzen eyes closed. I suggested as well but, you know, some people in my country like brand value. So it seemed he was more interested in intel. So I thought okay, 8700 is a very good cpu as well (although I would prefer the K one even if it requires pricey instruments) so I gave him a build with that. Thanks for the opinions, really learned a lot.

yeah some will prefer a brand simply for the name. there are some merits to the 8700 over the 2700x though so it isn't as simple. 2700x has better multi threaded awhile the 8700 has better single threaded. that being said the 8700 doesn't have a huge advantage in single threaded when multiple cores are loaded at the same time.

16 hours ago, Fatin Faiaz Isty said:

One of my friends is an architecture student. He is gonna be using some softwares with 3d design related softwares, so basically 3d design, rendering etc.

To be honest, with all those security shit going on and more and more popping up every now and then. SPOILER was the last one, before an SMT Exploit and Spectre/Meltdown.

That dumpster fire seems to be still burning and not wanting to stop...

At first I told him to go for 2700x as it beats even 8700k in render times, let alone 8700. But an 8700 user said the render is fast but the workflow isn't smooth at all in 2700x.

I don't find it believable.

Especially the subjective things, there is always the part that you want to see/experience.

And also the believe that one side is better than the other side.

The design you are making, if you zoom in or out, he says it lags on Ryzen but is smooth on 8700. A 2700x user had to use 8700k for his works he said.

Makes not much sense and might be something he wanted to see or someone who prefers Intel.

That's always a Problem...

Can you guys shed some lights on that? Also if this topic was discussed before please guide me there. The real concern here is smooth workflow not render time as we know Ryzen beats 8700. 

I hear the "But Intel is smoother!!11" since the old K7 and especially K8 days...

Another thing to keep in mind:
With the 1151V2 Socket, you have everything you will use probably in front of you...

Its not that likely that there will be faster CPUs than we have right now...

And there are rumors about a new AMD CPU in a couple of weeks...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 3/23/2019 at 11:33 PM, Brooksie359 said:

yeah some will prefer a brand simply for the name. there are some merits to the 8700 over the 2700x though so it isn't as simple. 2700x has better multi threaded awhile the 8700 has better single threaded. that being said the 8700 doesn't have a huge advantage in single threaded when multiple cores are loaded at the same time.

Yeah. Actually I would prefer 2700x for the multi core performance. It does give decent enough perf. in gaming as well which is not my absolute concern cause if gaming was my concern I would go intel. Thanks for the opinions ? 

21 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

To be honest, with all those security shit going on and more and more popping up every now and then. SPOILER was the last one, before an SMT Exploit and Spectre/Meltdown.

That dumpster fire seems to be still burning and not wanting to stop...

I don't find it believable.

Especially the subjective things, there is always the part that you want to see/experience.

And also the believe that one side is better than the other side.

Makes not much sense and might be something he wanted to see or someone who prefers Intel.

That's always a Problem...

I hear the "But Intel is smoother!!11" since the old K7 and especially K8 days...

Another thing to keep in mind:
With the 1151V2 Socket, you have everything you will use probably in front of you...

Its not that likely that there will be faster CPUs than we have right now...

And there are rumors about a new AMD CPU in a couple of weeks...

Yeah. But I would prefer Ryzen because I am not a hardcore gamer, I multi task a lot. Plus it wasn't really believable that Ryzen 7 2700x will lag on those. But, I asked since I haven't used both. So user and expert opinion was something I was looking for. Thanks ?

On 3/24/2019 at 12:35 PM, Fatin Faiaz Isty said:

Yeah. But I would prefer Ryzen because I am not a hardcore gamer, I multi task a lot. Plus it wasn't really believable that Ryzen 7 2700x will lag on those. But, I asked since I haven't used both. So user and expert opinion was something I was looking for. Thanks ?

I believe Stefan was agreeing. He states that the rumors of Intel dominance are just people seeing what they want to see. Especially in multi core performance.