Best air cooler for i9 9900k

webguy

Hi.  I am building a gaming pc and would like some recommendations on a really good air cooler for it.  I will be playing mainly competitive fps games like apex legends and pubg and will likely be streaming from the same pc I game on.  I am planning to get a large case to have plenty of room for parts as I have the space I need for a big tower.  My gaming sessions may be 12+ hours at a time so I want a really good cooling system in place.  I am planning to get the i9 9900k and a 3 fan asus rog strix 2080 gpu.  I will likely be playing at 1440p 165hz.

I do not want the cheapest option but instead want performance and cooling to be the priority.  I had been thinking about doing an aio but after reading about leaks I think I want to go with an air cooler.  What is the best air cooler for the i9 9900k given that it will be used for long periods of time and I do not want heat to be a problem.  I will be playing and streaming and running more tasks on the computer so it will likely be pretty heavy use.

Thanks!

best aircooler you will find is the Noctua nh-d15

id also recommend waiting for Zen 2 to drop before spending all of your money on a 9900k CPU. its a bad time to go all out on a CPU

Agree with both of the above with the edge going to the Noctua for their customer service and 6 year warranty.

4 minutes ago, webguy said:

Hi.  I am building a gaming pc and would like some recommendations on a really good air cooler for it.  I will be playing mainly competitive fps games like apex legends and pubg and will likely be streaming from the same pc I game on.  I am planning to get a large case to have plenty of room for parts as I have the space I need for a big tower.  My gaming sessions may be 12+ hours at a time so I want a really good cooling system in place.  I am planning to get the i9 9900k and a 3 fan asus rog strix 2080 gpu.  I will likely be playing at 1440p 165hz.

I do not want the cheapest option but instead want performance and cooling to be the priority.  I had been thinking about doing an aio but after reading about leaks I think I want to go with an air cooler.  What is the best air cooler for the i9 9900k given that it will be used for long periods of time and I do not want heat to be a problem.  I will be playing and streaming and running more tasks on the computer so it will likely be pretty heavy use.

Thanks!

If you are willing to do basic modding, get a server cooler or heatsink and add fans.

NH D15

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

16 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

two options: nhd15, dark rock pro 4

no other ones needed

As said above, NH-D15 if you're okay with the terrible colour scheme :P

Dark Rock Pro 4 if you want something prettier looking

Both will do for the i9.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Both will do for the i9.

I'm saying this in name of @GoldenLag

it's the colour of performance

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'm saying this in name of @GoldenLag

it's the colour of performance

LOL yup it shure is.  lol

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

30 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Both will do for the i9.

You got that backwards, my friend. Noctua makes the prettiest coolers.

Thank you everyone for the information.  It looks like I will likely try the NH-D15.  Why did they make the blades brown though?  I mean why would they think that was a good idea?

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

two options: nhd15, dark rock pro 4

no other ones needed

rip lgm rt lol

Noctua NH-D15S checking in! Got the S model in case I change my configuration and need to utilize tall ram. Also have the black.chromax fans and heatsink covers (still have brown case fans though).

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

7 hours ago, webguy said:

Thank you everyone for the information.  It looks like I will likely try the NH-D15.  Why did they make the blades brown though?  I mean why would they think that was a good idea?

well, is it something they can set their selves apart with?

there's your answer

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, is it something they can set their selves apart with?

there's your answer

I personally care more about performance than what it looks like but it would have been a good move financially for them I think if they offered an upgrade for a few dollars more for different color fan blades.  I would pay a few dollars more for blue etc.

12 minutes ago, webguy said:

I personally care more about performance than what it looks like but it would have been a good move financially for them I think if they offered an upgrade for a few dollars more for different color fan blades.  I would pay a few dollars more for blue etc.

I'm afraid Chromax (noctuas black and for example blue fans) comes at a heavier cost...

tho the dark rock pro 4 should fit in with the colors