My first custom liquid build for a friend,

We plan to use a set of EK fluid aluminum 240G kit, with a intel i5 8400 with a reference 1080ti he got for $500. Any advice for both of us? 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

Did you already buy the aluminum kit? If not, I'd stay away from it. If so, what kind of advice are you looking for?

1 minute ago, Schakal_No1 said:

Did you already buy the aluminum kit? If not, I'd stay away from it. If so, what kind of advice are you looking for?

We plan to pick it up tomorrow, if not that kit which kit should we go for? 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

5 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

Is there some specific reason(s) you're suggesting he stay away from it?

It's a perfectly competent and capable setup so long as you understand the limitations of using aluminum only for any future expansions, or use due diligence in using corrosion inhibitors.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

You should never mix metals in your loop. If you go for aluminum now, you are forced to stay with it forever. I am a fan of having the option to go for high end in the future and high end will always be copper. If you do not mind having to change the whole loop in that case, alu is fine.

If not I'd look for used copper radiators and just buy the rest as individual components.

4 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

You should never mix metals in your loop. If you go for aluminum now, you are forced to stay with it forever. I am a fan of having the option to go for high end in the future and high end will always be copper. If you do not mind having to change the whole loop in that case, alu is fine.

If not I'd look for used copper radiators and just buy the rest as individual components.

Naw, he just wants to try custom kit first, then he's used to it then he'll spend extra for a good kit. 

Best Value Build List

19 minutes ago, Galion said:

Naw, he just wants to try custom kit first, then he's used to it then he'll spend extra for a good kit. 

Ok if you are fine with buying everything twice then there is no problem with an alu kit.

24 minutes ago, Galion said:

Just go copper straight up...

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Better off not wasting time and money. 

Go copper first. 

But if he just wants to try it, isn’t too bright using a 240 on those two components. Also pairing that cpu with that card. 

Prolly gonna be buying a few things several times at this rate. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Agreed, consider allocating the budget towards platform/cpu upgrade instead, would get you actual improvements. If doing it just for looks, then I suppose its okay, that's up to you.