Should I update my BIOS?

An update of BIOS is available for my motherboard, currently, my system is running fine, but I am confused, it says it will improve performance and change CPU microcodes!

Any advice for me?

(Screenshot)

Screenshot for LTT forum.png

"if it aint broke dont fix it"

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Just now, SolarNova said:

"if it aint broke dont fix it"

Ok, Thanks for the reply!

By the way, I have an issue in my Computer, sometimes it freezes with the buzzing-freezing sound that is fucking annoying, that was not happening before, is it a Windows bug, I tried reinstalling Windows too!

Please help me bro!

Could be any number of things, best to make a new post asking for help so mroe peopel see it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Just now, SolarNova said:

Could be any number of things, best to make a new post asking for help so mroe peopel see it.

Okay! and Thank you :)

12 minutes ago, Mr. Question Asker said:

An update of BIOS is available for my motherboard, currently, my system is running fine, but I am confused, it says it will improve performance and change CPU microcodes!

"Improved system performance and stability" is a horribly generic thing to say. For all we know, they may have fixed a bug that happened once in blue moon when a cosmic ray from Alpha Centauri hit just the right SRAM cell in cache.

CPU microcode updates are typically to fix issues that happen in the most extreme of edge cases, but this was likely some sort of Spectre/Meltdown patch.

I'm pretty sure that the Microcode update is for Spectre and Meltdown so, I'd update it.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Question Asker said:

Ok, Thanks for the reply!

By the way, I have an issue in my Computer, sometimes it freezes with the buzzing-freezing sound that is fucking annoying, that was not happening before, is it a Windows bug, I tried reinstalling Windows too!

Please help me bro!

Does the sound come from your PC or, from your audio devices? Is anything overclocked in your system?

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

I'm pretty sure that the Microcode update is for Spectre and Meltdown so, I'd update it.

Does the sound come from your PC or, from your audio devices? Is anything overclocked in your system?

Suppose, If I am watching a video or playing a game it just freezes for 2-3 seconds and makes a very bad sound!

I have not overclocked anything and my CPU is locked (i5 8400) and the graphics card is at default setting!

9 minutes ago, Mr. Question Asker said:

Suppose, If I am watching a video or playing a game it just freezes for 2-3 seconds and makes a very bad sound!

I have not overclocked anything and my CPU is locked (i5 8400) and the graphics card is at default setting!

My best guess would be that the GPU is crapping out. Make a new thread about it in troubleshooting so more people can help ya.

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/46-troubleshooting/

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

9 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

My best guess would be that the GPU is crapping out. Make a new thread about it in troubleshooting so more people can help ya.

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/46-troubleshooting/

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me brother, appreciate it :) (I will make a new post on Troubleshooting)

depending your board, microcode updates might contain spectre/meltdown fixes.

In that case, you will lose some performance but you'll be protected.

whether or not you should update for that reason, is up to you.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

6 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

depending your board, microcode updates might contain spectre/meltdown fixes. In that case, you will lose some performance but you'll be protected.

Kind of conflicts with "2. Improved system performance and stability"

Would have thought Spectre fix would have been addressed earlier so maybe this is a better fix that mitigates some of that performance loss. With such an outright ambiguous description who knows. :/

OP, check your BIOS settings and make a copy you can refer to, make a backup of your current BIOS and if rolling back is supported I would suggest giving it a go. I guess your running Gigabyte with dual BIOS so should be okay, if your comfortable doing it.

AWOL

13 minutes ago, X_X said:

Kind of conflicts with "2. Improved system performance and stability"

Would have thought Spectre fix would have been addressed earlier so maybe this is a better fix that mitigates some of that performance loss. With such an outright ambiguous description who knows. :/

OP, check your BIOS settings and make a copy you can refer to, make a backup of your current BIOS and if rolling back is supported I would suggest giving it a go. I guess your running Gigabyte with dual BIOS so should be okay, if your comfortable doing it.

Later updates to that mitigation might minimize the mitigation impact that earlier versions applied.

I can tell you my Z370 board was manufactured before the fixes, and after finally recently updating my bios to the newest, I lost measurable CPU performance.

Example in SOTTR benchmarks:

Before Meltdown/Spectre:

ZPjR02q.jpg

After Latest Meltdown Microcode BIOS update:

26scH9a.jpg

Average FPS went up but frame time got worse.

CPU renders took a big hit.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

??? Yes, I am aware of the performance losses which is why I said it conflicts with the BIOS description in the Op's first post.

AWOL

3 minutes ago, X_X said:

??? Yes, I am aware of the performance losses which is why I said it conflicts with the BIOS description in the Op's first post.

But it doesn't always.

If say F10 was the first meltdown fix, and it nerfed performance by say 10% and a later release say F12, only nerfed performance by 7%, then the statement "improved performance" is correct.

So if he had no fixes going to the newest might be worse

But if he had the first fix, going to the new one might help.

This hypothetical.

6 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

Later updates to that mitigation might minimize the mitigation impact that earlier versions applied.

I can tell you my Z370 board was manufactured before the fixes, and after finally recently updating my bios to the newest, I lost measurable CPU performance.

Example in SOTTR benchmarks:

Before Meltdown/Spectre:

ZPjR02q.jpg

After Latest Meltdown Microcode BIOS update:

26scH9a.jpg

Average FPS went up but frame time got worse.

CPU renders took a big hit.

Oh then I will not update!

4 hours ago, Mr. Question Asker said:

Oh then I will not update!

You might not get protection, though.

Just now, Plutosaurus said:

You might not get protection, though.

Yeah, you are also right!

But can you tell me how much performance decrease will I get after updating and please tell me why it is nurfing the performance in-order to fix malware problem?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Question Asker said:

Yeah, you are also right!

But can you tell me how much performance decrease will I get after updating and please tell me why it is nurfing the performance in-order to fix malware problem?

This is a year+ old, so new BIOS patches may have mitigated some of the........mitigation-related performance hits.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Question Asker said:

Oh, Thanks buddy for the video link, I will watch it and sorry for my POTATO English! ?

Alright, so according to this video, BIOS update will not destroy the performance, its very tiny like 1 to 4% percent, so upgrading the BIOS is a better choice I guess NOW!