KY Jelly Cooled PC

When I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan, I took some courses with the Marines Corps Communication-Electronics School (I was Air Force). During a course the instructor told us that KY jelly was invented by NASA to cool off their rockets, shuttles, etc... I cannot find any information to confirm that, but since I've seen you guys build mineral oil and liquid rigs why not test KY jelly and see if it works!

what in the world 

i dont think so 

mineral oil works because it has a high heat capacity, like water 

Ky jelly would be too viscous to cause turbulence, and thus heat transfer would be abominable 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

6 minutes ago, ortizimo said:

When I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan, I took some courses with the Marines Corps Communication-Electronics School (I was Air Force). During a course the instructor told us that KY jelly was invented by NASA to cool off their rockets, shuttles, etc... I cannot find any information to confirm that, but since I've seen you guys build mineral oil and liquid rigs why not test KY jelly and see if it works!

your instructor lied to you, sorry

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

also based on some rough google searches, it seems, it was used for high temperature lubrication, and not cooling per say

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

25 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

what in the world 

i dont think so 

mineral oil works because it has a high heat capacity, like water 

Ky jelly would be too viscous to cause turbulence, and thus heat transfer would be abominable 

once heated the product becomes less viscous...its thick because its in a bottle at room temperature and not even that...its always at store A/C temp. additionally, there are other types of the same product that are more liquid. besides, the episode Chilling Threadripper 2, Linus used Rain-X to chill a CPU...it contains among other things glycerine and glycol.

3 hours ago, ortizimo said:

once heated the product becomes less viscous...its thick because its in a bottle at room temperature and not even that...its always at store A/C temp. additionally, there are other types of the same product that are more liquid. besides, the episode Chilling Threadripper 2, Linus used Rain-X to chill a CPU...it contains among other things glycerine and glycol.

yeah sure but again its not as viscous, even if  the viscosity changes to a usable amount at like 60-80 Celsius ,what advantage does it give over water

the reason linus uses rain x is because it works well at low temperatures 

I enjoy coating my rocket in KY jelly prior to liftoff.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.