Upgrading to a "better" fan on Noctua NH-L9a AM4?

MrlUnleashed

Just out of curiosity, might even need this info later on, would adding a bigger fan to a Noctua NH-L9a heatsink make even a slight difference? I was looking at a bequiet! Silent wings 2 92mm fan which has higher air pressure but slightly lower air flow and its 25mm height compared to 15mm on the noctua one.

Higher air pressure won't really help.

The silent wings will probably be quieter though.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Higher air pressure won't really help.

The silent wings will probably be quieter though.

Higher airflow fan then? Still the same question.

Just now, MrlUnleashed said:

Higher airflow fan then? Still the same question.

Yeah more airflow.

Make a few degrees improvement.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can't compare one manufacturer's test measurements to a different manufacturer as the testing methodologies differ, however, I would expect a 25mm thickness fan to improve over a 14mm one. I would go with the Noctua NF-A9 PWM which increases the static pressure to 2.28 mm H2O from your current fan measuring 1.64. Don't expect miracles,though. That heatsink is pretty small. I would contact Noctua and ask them how much improvement you could expect.

You don't have space for a larger heatsink?

The NF-A9 has been used on the NH-L9i without much improvement on temps. I'd expect similar results with a SW2.

https://infogram.com/official-sffn-cpu-cooler-chart-1hmr6gyjwkz96nl?live

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/thicker-fan-on-noctua-nh-l9i.6176/

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.