Air vs Liquid

Here’s the scoop: I have an outdated prebuilt with an A10 - 7800 and no video card and I’m looking to build a new one from scratch around a Ryzen 5 - 2600x and was wondering if it is better to water cool it or air cool it and if so which coolers are the best

You can get the same performance from a dark rock pro 4 or D15 while spending half the price

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

You can get the same performance from a dark rock pro 4 or D15 while spending half the price

STill that' s way too overkill for a 2600  .

Will it fit my Micro ATX case and mother board?

Arguing with your selves doesn’t help me solve my problem I’m pretty new to computer building so any actual help is appreciated 

2 minutes ago, Niic07 said:

Depends on the case, but the motherboard mounting for Ryzen is standard so it will mount.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, hello_there_123 said:

STill that' s way too overkill for a 2600  .

Then by that logic, so is a water cooler.

I have a D15 on my 1700, keeps it a cool 63 while stressed and I have a fair overclock on it as well. Besides, if OP were to buy a windale 4 then they might as well stick to the stock cooler.

1 minute ago, Niic07 said:

What case is it? If you don't plan on overclocking, you won't need the cooler- the stock one is more than sufficient 

Yes it will fit on your motherboard

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, fasauceome said:

Depends on the case, but the motherboard mounting for Ryzen is standard so it will mount.

Thanks, the case is a NZXT H400

I have a D15 on my 1700, keeps it a cool 63 while stressed and I have a fair overclock on it as well. Besides, if OP were to buy a windale 4 then they might as well stick to the stock cooler.

What case is it? If you don't plan on overclocking, you won't need the cooler- the stock one is more than sufficient 

Yes it will fit on your motherboard

Oh okay thanks

Just now, Slottr said:

1. I didn't say a water cooler isn't. 

2. ur literally going to get the same clockspeed with a windale 4 as the D15 because ryzen 2's safe voltage is ~1.38V according to overclockers. The W4 can keep the 2600 at acceptable temps (80-85C) at 1.35v, and if the D15 could cool a 2600 at 1.38V (it prob can) it doesn't matter cuz 0.03 V has an extremely low probability of making the difference between 0.1ghz which is insignificant anyway. Besides, the 2600x I would keep the stock cooler , but the 2600 stock cooler is about equivalent to the intel stock cooler and we all know how well that goes. 

2 minutes ago, Niic07 said:

Thanks, the case is a NZXT H400

The NZXT H400 is pretty spacious, I wouldn't worry too much about cooler height.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, Niic07 said:

Here’s the scoop: I have an outdated prebuilt with an A10 - 7800 and no video card and I’m looking to build a new one from scratch around a Ryzen 5 - 2600x and was wondering if it is better to water cool it or air cool it and if so which coolers are the best

This depends, do you care how your build looks, or do you prefer a reliable cooler that will outlast your PC, If you care about looks, and are willing to replace your AIO every 2-5 years, then put it on water, if you prefer a cooler that you will probably toss long before it dies (due to the fact that you probably want to downsize your computer, or want to move on with other things in life) grab an NH-D15 (or dark rock pro 4 if you really just want that black cooler).

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

(80-85C) 

Those are pretty shitty temps considering the stock cooler will do better 

1 minute ago, hello_there_123 said:

ryzen 2's safe voltage is ~1.38V according to overclockers.

Not really, it can be anywhere between 1.35 and 1.45. still, the cooler a semiconductor, the lower the resistance, which means lower voltages required for certain clock speeds.

Primary PC:

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

... grab an NH-D15 (or dark rock pro 4 if you really just want that black cooler).

2 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

2. ur literally going to get the same clockspeed with a windale 4 as the D15 because ryzen 2's safe voltage is ~1.38V according to overclockers. The W4 can keep the 2600 at acceptable temps (80-85C) at 1.35v, and if the D15 could cool a 2600 at 1.38V (it prob can) it doesn't matter cuz 0.03 V has an extremely low probability of making the difference between 0.1ghz which is insignificant anyway. Besides, the 2600x I would keep the stock cooler , but the 2600 stock cooler is about equivalent to the intel stock cooler and we all know how well that goes. 

Just now, Slottr said:

Those are pretty shitty temps considering the stock cooler will do better 

Do better at stock. THat's at 1.35 V 

Just now, fasauceome said:

Not really, it can be anywhere between 1.35 and 1.45. still, the cooler a semiconductor, the lower the resistance, which means lower voltages required for certain clock speeds.

And another point i forgot to mention is that after 1.35v the voltage curve is so steep that to make the next 0.1ghz jump will take more voltage than a 360mm could probably handle  (besides it will damage the cpu alot)

12 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

get a 2600 +windale 4 instead of a 2600x 

what? The Wraith Stealth cooler is plenty for a 2600 even OC'd up to 4gHz. It also cools the boards VRM. You're recommending a side blasting cooler that would be $30 more and he'd have an extra wraith stealth.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

Just now, fluxdeity said:

what? The Wraith Stealth cooler is plenty for a 2600 even OC'd up to 4gHz. It also cools the boards VRM. You're recommending a side blasting cooler that would be $30 more and he'd have an extra wraith stealth.

yes, let's all stick with the stock cooler then. cuz 4.3ghz is rare with 2600 at 1.38v+ and 4.1ghz is common with that along with 4.2ghz. not worth  the extra 0.1 or 0.2 ghz that u could get . even with $32 like W4

Must see this!

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

1 hour ago, hello_there_123 said:

get a 2600 +windale 4 instead of a 2600x 

OP, This! ?   Additionally, the Windale 4 will perform much more quiet than the stock cooler.

I had the Windale 4 on my i7-8700K, actually it capable to handle the i7-8700K stock turbo boost where the max voltage while turboing can reach 1.36v and the average temps when I used this cooler for gaming was around 72C. But the fan installation to the heatsink is little difficult and tend to annoys anyone who new to PC building, because of the fan holders are rubber pins instead of metal clips.

Now I put my Windale 4 on my father's Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 because his stock cooler is dead..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs: