GPU randomly crashes and screen goes black?! Radeon RX 580

Let me just start off my saying I know... This is what I get for buying a used card off eBay, I thought getting a Radeon RX 580 Armor for $120 was a steal, but maybe I should have known better. My whole rig has been built on sales and budget parts so I guess it's par for the course. This is the life for a broke ass gamer/streamer/struggling artist like myself with a wife and 3 kids to priorities... "But I digress!"

I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 2600 build on an Asus B450 motherboard. I've got 2 sticks of G.Skills Aegis 8gb DDR4-3000 and I was using a GeForce GTX 660ti that I got from a friend. After watching tirelessly for sales I finally decided to browse around eBay and found a few Radeon cards, I sent this guy an offer of $120 + $9.95 and he accepted. It was listed as Lightly Used purchased in late 2017. I got it home, upgraded the computer and it worked great for the first few couple of days. Then I started to get unprompted black screens and the fans on the GPU would ramp up full blast. It would happen after games, and one time while I was watching a YouTube video of Linus. The screen went black but I could still hear the video playing in my headset. I had HWMonitor installed and tried to keep it running in the background, but it never seemed like the temps got crazy. During games I would see it climb up to about 80c, but I wasn't watching it that close when I was on YouTube so I can't say what it was doing. 

Before you link me to the thread about the GPU crash (I've read through it), YES I did go get fresh Thermal Compound and I've replaced the crunchy junk on the GPU. I also installed MSI Afterburner so that I can keep better tabs on my temps. I actually played around with the custom fan curve so that I always have a small amount of idle fan cooling. So far, things seem to be looking good. I had idle temps around 52c-55c and after setting up a custom fan curve is looks like I'm at an idle of 41c. 

I guess the reason I'm posting here is because I thought you guys could help me figure out what's going on with this thing. Should I be doing anything else? I can't afford a brand new card, and this budget build has been a labor of love, but I worry that I'm just prolonging the inevitable. This is what I get for venturing into the seething underbelly of used Graphics Cards! Thank you in advanced for any help and suggestions!! Wish me luck.

What PSU are you using and how old is it?

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

I'm using a Thermatake Smart 700w PSU, It's only like 3 years old, maybe? If the power was lacking would the fans on the GPU still work and run? The card turns into a jet engine and I can't get a picture back on the screen

13 minutes ago, Miheyu said:

I'm using a Thermatake Smart 700w PSU, It's only like 3 years old, maybe? If the power was lacking would the fans on the GPU still work and run? The card turns into a jet engine and I can't get a picture back on the screen

Welcome to the forum!

You need to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment. Otherwise, people will not be notified of your responses.

Anyways, others may read into this differently, and I am certainly just one opinion but that is quite frankly a terrible quality PSU. Voltage ripple can cause system crashes, this has nothing to do with being 700W because while it can sufficiently power your system (a 450W PSU would do fine), it is made with cheap components that under load can deliver the power in a way that can harm components (kill them even) or even cause systems crashes. But before you go off and get a new PSU there are many other items to consider. I only bring up a faulty PSU as someone on here once was in a similar situation and it indeed ended up being the PSU.

Although it is not likely to see system crashes, errors in your GPU drivers could cause issues, you should re-install your GPU drivers but remove the old ones first using DDU. That is step one.

Are you OC'ing your CPU or GPU? What speed is your RAM running at?

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, JM21 said:

Welcome to the forum!

You need to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment. Otherwise, people will not be notified of your responses.

Anyways, others may read into this differently, and I am certainly just one opinion but that is quite frankly a terrible quality PSU. Voltage ripple can cause system crashes, this has nothing to do with being 700W because while it can sufficiently power your system (a 450W PSU would do fine), it is made with cheap components that under load can deliver the power in a way that can harm components (kill them even) or even cause systems crashes. But before you go off and get a new PSU there are many other items to consider. I only bring up a faulty PSU as someone on here once was in a similar situation and it indeed ended up being the PSU.

Although it is not likely to see system crashes, errors in your GPU drivers could cause issues, you should re-install your GPU drivers but remove the old ones first using DDU. That is step one.

Are you OC'ing your CPU or GPU? What speed is your RAM running at?

If by Reply you mean "Quote" then I shall try. Sorry, new to the forums as you noticed. Thank you for the info on Voltage Ripple, I had no idea about any of that. 

No, I'm not overclocking anything. Don't tell anyone, but I'm still using the Wraith Cooler on my Ryzen 5. I was hoping that the upgrade would be enough for me, so I hadn't messed with OC'ng the GPU. Looks like I'm running the RAM at 2133... hmmm, need to fix that in BIOS I guess?

Just now, Miheyu said:

If by Reply you mean "Quote" then I shall try. Sorry, new to the forums as you noticed. Thank you for the info on Voltage Ripple, I had no idea about any of that. 

No, I'm not overclocking anything. Don't tell anyone, but I'm still using the Wraith Cooler on my Ryzen 5. I was hoping that the upgrade would be enough for me, so I hadn't messed with OC'ng the GPU. Looks like I'm running the RAM at 2133... hmmm, need to fix that in BIOS I guess?

Yes, 'Quote', and no worries.

The Ryzen stock cooler is fine, I would run everything at stock settings until your issue is rectified. But as I stated install DDU, remove all old GPU drivers, including the old GTX 660 Ti Nvidia drivers. Then re-install new Radeon drivers. That is step one.

Does the used card have any kind of buyers protection? It is possible that the card was defective before you received it. 

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

33 minutes ago, JM21 said:

Yes, 'Quote', and no worries.

The Ryzen stock cooler is fine, I would run everything at stock settings until your issue is rectified. But as I stated install DDU, remove all old GPU drivers, including the old GTX 660 Ti Nvidia drivers. Then re-install new Radeon drivers. That is step one.

Does the used card have any kind of buyers protection? It is possible that the card was defective before you received it. 

Thanks so much for the help! I'm reinstalling Radeon drivers now. 

It's entirely possible that there was something wrong with the card! That's why I regret buying on eBay now, but it was a hell of a deal (and I'm so broke that it was my only option). There is an option to return, if push comes to shove. I just hope there is something I can fix, within reason, before I send it back. 

8 minutes ago, Miheyu said:

Thanks so much for the help! I'm reinstalling Radeon drivers now. 

It's entirely possible that there was something wrong with the card! That's why I regret buying on eBay now, but it was a hell of a deal (and I'm so broke that it was my only option). There is an option to return, if push comes to shove. I just hope there is something I can fix, within reason, before I send it back. 

No problem! Yeah GPU being defective is very possible. 

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

1 hour ago, JM21 said:

Yup, this should be step 1.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Well... I thought things were looking up for me, but I guess that's too much to ask for. Temps were stable around 42-46c and I got all the drivers uninstalled and then re-installed. I left my computer on and went to bed...

When I got up in the morning, I sit down in front of a black screen and the sounds of GPU fans blasting. I'm requesting a refund, and I've got the old 660 ti back in the rig. Thanks for all the help guys