SSD looseleaf style install

ManuelNigrito

I would like to ask a question specifically about, can you put an SSD, without any screw or devices, just connect the wires and thas it, i dont put a screw or nothing

You can, yes.

I'm not sure why you would, but it is possible. I've even done it with HDDs when troubleshooting systems in the past.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

No man, dont do it with a spinning drive, one time i picked up a drive and it gyroscope, the metal plate started to scratch like a record player. Any kind of hard disk should be avoid at all cost. Im only talkin about SSD which is fully electric and no spinning materials

1 minute ago, ManuelNigrito said:

No man, dont do it with a spinning drive, one time i picked up a drive and it gyroscope, the metal plate started to scratch like a record player. Any kind of hard disk should be avoid at all cost. Im only talkin about SSD which is fully electric and no spinning materials

It would still work, I was just saying that I've done it with HDDs.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

An what I am saying is, DONT do it with hard drive because u can break it it happen to me an others as well

1 minute ago, ManuelNigrito said:

An what I am saying is, DONT do it with hard drive because u can break it it happen to me an others as well

Look at the key word below:

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

troubleshooting

^right here^

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

DATA is important, you canNOT put a spinnin disc without screws you are asking for big trouble and if you post it online its more trouble if someone see it and do it then they get damage

Just now, ManuelNigrito said:

DATA is important, you canNOT put a spinnin disc without screws you are asking for big trouble and if you post it online its more trouble if someone see it and do it then they get damage

The drive is literally sitting in the case or on the desk doing nothing while I try to fix a system. It's in no more danger than if it was sitting in your case doing nothing.

famous last words

better safe then sorry

i work in computer tech as a professional, so i have a higher standard. if one of my guys power a pc without the proper screws, he is terminated from my business

simple as that

i work in computer tech as a professional, so i have a higher standard.

If I had a spare SSD to use for my troubleshooting purposes, I would for sure use it in those cases. But I don't, so I can't.

If I go into the business as a professional, then it's likely I'll be able to afford a nice SSD to use for troubleshooting and system repair.

2 minutes ago, ManuelNigrito said:

if one of my guys power a pc without the proper screws, he is terminated from my business

Have you ever had to pull an entire system apart and lay it out on a table while working on it? You usually don't need any kind of screws to do that.

i am iffy on SSD but NEVER do it on a hard drive, the momentum of a spinnin disc can move it off the table similar to a washing machine. some disc spin as much as 15,000 rpm similar to a grand prix speed so you dont take any chance, if u gotta do it i would screw into the plywood table itself

Obviously you don't run a spinning disk unsecured for longer than you have to, but an HDD isn't going to be damaged by running sitting on a table unless you push it off or start jumping on the table with it still spinning.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, Allmykidsareblack said:

I don't think it matters as long as it doesn't fall or move

i can tell you it matter a lot with a customer data with $$$ involve

16 minutes ago, ManuelNigrito said:

Securing the disk is important sure but screws aren't always required. I have many tool-less 3.5" bays. It is not possible to secure the HDD (with screws) in a tool-less bay. I also have several external drives that secure the drives with rubber. Then there is my dual bay HDD toaster...which you just drop drives into it. The drives are held in by friction of the connector and gravity.

6 minutes ago, ManuelNigrito said:

i am iffy on SSD but NEVER do it on a hard drive, the momentum of a spinnin disc can move it off the table similar to a washing machine. some disc spin as much as 15,000 rpm similar to a grand prix speed so you dont take any chance, if u gotta do it i would screw into the plywood table itself

Not sure what disks you're referring to but I have several old 15k RPM SAS drives and powering them up on the bench, they just sit there.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Securing the disk is important sure but screws aren't always required. I have many tool-less 3.5" bays. It is not possible to secure the HDD in a tool-less bay. I also have several external drives that secure the drives with rubber. Then there is my dual bay HDD toaster...which you just drop drives into it. The drives are held in by friction of the connector and gravity.

Not sure what disks you're referring to but I have several old 15k RPM SAS drives and powering them up on the bench, it just sits there.

well in that case you may wanna check you power supply the amps might be not enough, my drive spin right up

well in that case you may wanna check you power supply the amps might be not enough, my drive spin right up

They spin up fine. But they don't move on the table. If the HDD starts moving like a washing machine, there is something wrong with your drive...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

You can leave an HDD freely resting on a surface or in a case. The vibration of most 5400-7200RPM disks is minimal and they won't go flying away. lol. I'm a computer tech and a storage reviewer for almost 10 years now...sure, it's not safe for your data to pick up and move around a powered on HDD, especially the larger 3.5" models. It can cause damage. But, will simply resting one in a case without it being secured and the case is just sitting on a montionless surface cause any damage? NOPE. Otherwise, I'd have a lot more dead HDDs on my hands lol. 

Applying the OPs question on whether or not it is safe for them to do it with an SSD, it doesn't matter. I've installed TONs of SSDs in customer PCs, and while I love to secure them down with screws properly, I've had many times where I couldn't and had to slip the SSD into some random space since there wasn't any support for additional drives or if the 2.5" to 2.5" adapter didn't allow it to sit right. Could it disconnect or even damage the SATA connector on the drive if the system moves? Sure. But will it? Most likely not. Out of a few hundred SSDs installed these past few years I've yet to have anyone return to me with any storage issues related to their SSD not being mounted securely. Its flash! It can handle all the tumbles and falls np! 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

On 2/28/2019 at 1:08 AM, ManuelNigrito said:

Hahaha, the platters are in balance. No way that a spinning disc can move itself off a table. A washing machine could move itself when all the clothes are jammed to one side. Now try to run it empty and see if it will move.

The HDD will never generate enough energy to overcome the resistance between the body of the HDD and the surface off the table. It will probably not even generate enough energy if you put it onto a flat layer of glass.