The Verge

RuffRuffmcgruff

Did i miss something with The Verge? How come is there so much hate for them. Not that i've ever clicked on them, to be honest i'm not a 100% sure what they do apart from sounding like they're the buzzfeed for tech.

Anyone care to explain/link me to the drama?

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

18 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Did i miss something with The Verge?

Only the Copyright strike against 2 Techtubers. Maybe more and the awful excuses they made for that shit....

How come is there so much hate for them.

Because they claim racism wich is really just criticism, aren't able to own up the shit they did.

Especially after their "how to build a PC" video, wich was worse than what a total n00b would have done after reading the manuals of the components.

They couldn't even be bothered with RTFM and made a video anyway.

Highlights:

a) named zip ties "tweezer"

b) said you need a swiss army knife (made by Victorinox)

c) a Table (me don't need no table, me use chair or bed usually)

d) the rubber thing on Cases are so that PSU don't short

Not that i've ever clicked on them, to be honest i'm not a 100% sure what they do apart from sounding like they're the buzzfeed for tech.

IIRC they are the buzzfeed tech and awful people because they can't admit their mistakes, call other people racist for no reason and other shit...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, PacketMan said:

Well, most of the hate comes from their PC build video, a lot of wannabe youtubers threw shit on them because of a few mistakes and the "geek" that made the video is a total moron

not exactly a few mistakes when the mistakes were bad enough to kill some of the components.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, PacketMan said:

Well, most of the hate comes from their PC build video, a lot of wannabe youtubers threw shit on them because of a few mistakes and the "geek" that made the video is a total moron

Few mistakes?!
Are you kidding?!

There is one messup after the next! Almost everything is wrong in that video. And they are "Tech Journalists".

I couldn't make such a bad guide even if I tried, so bad was it....

Some people even were in shock after that because they couldn't believe what they've seen.

Again:

Most of the shit could have been prevented, if they had taken a look at the god darn Manuals that came with the components. They would have made a not as bad video as they did.

To add the list, the guy said that the thermal paste pre-applied in the cooler is not enough. So he then adds more on top of the CPU and proceeds to install the cooler. There is no close up shots, but i bet that the excess paste just overflow in the CPU. i bet that will kill the socket.

Ryzen 5 1600 | Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | Team Elite TForce Delta RGB 2x8 16GB 3200mhz | Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB AORUS | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | 2 1TB WD Blue | Wester Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB | SeaSonic M12II 520W 80+ Bronze | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo | ASUS VG248QE | Rakk Kimat XT | Logitech G502 HERO | Massdrop x AKG M220 Pro | V8 Soundcard | BM800 Condenser Mic | Logitech C310

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

not exactly a few mistakes when the mistakes were bad enough to kill some of the components.

If I remember correctly:
Only the PSU because fan to the wall and the Radiator because Longscrew damage.

Possibly the CPU because the whole syringe of thermal compound was on the CPU AND the thermal pad wich the cooler came with on top. IIRC they at least removed the plastic from the heatsink...

And because of the longscrew, it might be possible that the Radiator might leak wich means water damage.

So essentially: everything could be killed if you follow the video.

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Again:

Most of the shit could have been prevented, if they had taken a look at the god darn Manuals that came with the components. They would have made a not as bad video as they did.

granted, if you can mistake a pair of zip ties as tweezers, then the manuals probably wouldn't be enough anyways 9_9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Besides what has already been said, it's because they keep playing the victim rather than apologizing. Everything would have been forgotten after a few weeks if they would stop trying to make people feel sorry for them. Watch this summary.

https://youtu.be/56fZ_OC8HkY

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

granted, if you can mistake a pair of zip ties as tweezers, then the manuals probably wouldn't be enough anyways 9_9

Yeah, that is a good point.

Never thought of that.

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Possibly the CPU because the whole syringe of thermal compound was on the CPU AND the thermal pad wich the cooler came with on top. IIRC they at least removed the plastic from the heatsink...

if the thermal paste wasn't conductive, maybe not kill the mobo/CPU but god help the guy who has to clean it after they figured out dumping the entire tube into the cpu isn't a good idea. IIRC they also forgot to screw in the waterblock to the CPU properly and left one side completely untouched, so RIP super exclusive 8700k if the temps kept staying high.

16 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Because they claim racism wich is really just criticism, aren't able to own up the shit they did. 

To be fair, there were a fair number of racist comments too.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Ahh ok, hate companies that fuck up and then blame it on the audience for not eating the shit covered burger.

Thanks for the explanation guys :) I'll check out that video as well ty ^^

@JoostinOnline

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Joshua Topolsky made The Verge excellent.

When he left in 2014, I stopped visiting.

44 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

but to paint Kyle with the same brush ._.

I wasn't defending their takedown. I was simply pointing out that there were a lot of racist comments about the guy who did the video. While there was plenty of fair criticism, there was a big dose of hate speech mixed in.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

no i meant... didn't he like alluded kyle/lyle's performance to be racist at one point? o_o

That was the editor in chief, Nilay Patel.

One of the reasons given for removing their original videos (besides "minor" technical errors) was the racial insults. Some people (myself included originally) thought that they were just making that up to gain sympathy, but there were some actual hateful commenters who simply didn't like that the guy building it was black. Unfortunately, because their credibility is so low now people are likely to dismiss that. They're the news site that cried wolf.

Despite all the mistakes, the line that has stuck with me most was him showing an 8700k and saying "That's right, we got one". It's a nice CPU, but it's by no means rare. All you need is lots of money. The arrogance is what annoyed me most. It reminds me of people who don't really care what they buy, they just want to know it's better than most people can afford.

pF7dcJI.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

pF7dcJI.png

Is the verge implying that video games cause violence? Are you serious?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

Is the verge implying that video games cause violence? Are you serious?

either that or it's insensitive to show violence after a shooting or whatever. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Because all their videos that don't feature Dieter Bohn are a piece of garbage. 

There was one "how to buy a used phone" when this chick sold her Galaxy S7 for 50$, or the Galaxy buds video where the guy used the iPhone and talked about the airpods the entire video and didn't talk for a second about the sound, and many more such occurrences. 

Dieter Bohn is a ray of light in there though

And they falsly claimed racism. There's no forgiveness for that. How dare they. Don't they understand that whenever you pull crap like that it takes away from the validity of this argument what it comes to real stuff??

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

The computer build video generated a lot of backlash, but everyone got over it. What really lit the fire was their 4-month late copyright strikes against some of the videos criticizing them. Yes, people took them a bit less seriously after the build video, but what things went from making fun of them to angry spite was the copyright debacle. Ironically, a type of DMCA abuse they reported on in the recent past.

In fact, I wouldn't even know about the guy's response to the criticism if it wasn't for the recent controversy around the copyright strikes

14 hours ago, PacketMan said:

Okay I should make myself clear: compared to the whole Internet where you can find a lot of misconceptions, The Verge did a few mistakes, can't be forgiven tho but still watching the "reactions" to the Verge video where all those wannabes start crying about EVERY single mistake or misconception make me feel bad for The Stupid Verge

That's true: there were a few really important mistakes, especially considering that they were being presented as advise, like the thermal paste, the PSU shorting if it touches the case (?), or breaking the radiator fins by using the wrong screws. And then there were tons of pretty irrelevant "mistakes", like the tweezers/brackets/etc (call it whatever you want, no one cares) or cable management (LTT has a video on how it doesn't really matter other than for aesthetics). Among those, a few that were really amusing ("hopefully has a Phillips screwdriver"), but still not important.

8 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

either that or it's insensitive to show violence after a shooting or whatever. 

The world revolves around the U.S. obviously. No shootings elsewhere, as many gamers. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti