will Microsoft really pull the plug on windows 7?

soo a couple of days ago i searched just for fun when Microsoft would pull the plug on windows 7. i was surprised when i saw they were planning on doing it in 2020, will Microsoft really have the guts to pull the plug on windows 7? Considering that its the most used os currently. if so will they offer a free upgrade to 10? or make you buy the usb or the download? im just asking because i dont know why Microsoft would pull the plug when 7 is at its prime time of users.

You can get Win 10 pro on eBay for 5 euros. I was forced to switch to Win 10 from Win 7 when upgrading my system, its not as bad as people make it seem to be,

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

i mean... yes

why not? they kinda want everyone to 10, they set a certain lifetime, so they might continue it once for a couple more years, but that's about it

No reason to support a product for an eternity.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, PopsicleHustler said:

You can get Win 10 pro on eBay for 5 euros. I was forced to switch to Win 10 from Win 7 when upgrading my system, its not as bad as people make it seem to be,

i have my own ways...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor captain sparrow

3 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

soo a couple of days ago i searched just for fun when Microsoft would pull the plug on windows 7. i was surprised when i saw they were planning on doing it in 2020, will Microsoft really have the guts to pull the plug on windows 7? Considering that its the most used os currently. if so will they offer a free upgrade to 10? or make you buy the usb or the download? im just asking because i dont know why Microsoft would pull the plug when 7 is at its prime time of users.

Btw it’s not the most used, it recently got beat by windows 10. Majority uses 10. Yes I think they would pull the plug and they should considering how old it is.

Similar arguments were made for XP. I think the reality is it does need to be killed off at some point, and they have an established date for it already so there are few excuses for not getting ready in time. Inevitably some large organisations will not be ready and will pay MS a premium to keep it going beyond its kill date.

As much as I like 7 on older systems, it is showing limitations in hardware support and it is only going to get worse. I'm debating getting my Win7 systems to Win10 ready. While MS' "free" upgrade from Win7 to Win10 has long expired, in reality I've found by accident installing Win10 using the corresponding type of Win7 key usually works, as does using a USB stick to upgrade a Win7 system to Win10. In both cases it is activated on the Win7 key.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, LinusOnLine said:

It is still free to upgrade from win 7 to win 10.

no it's not

1 minute ago, LinusOnLine said:

It was one month ago when I tried it :) Doubt it has changed since then.

oh really? that's weird...

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

my OEM key for my laptop (bought separately) apparently passed ._. it doesn't work for a windows 10 direct installer, but if I run the installer while booted in activated windows 7 it'll get the pass

Just download the USB version and type in your Win7 key, both resale and oem works and its activated.

I really hope Microsoft pull the plug in 2020. Windows 7 had it's moment of glory. Now it needs to end.

Anyways modern hardware isn't supported by Windows 7; for example 7th and 8th generation of Intel CPU. it gives you a big error "The processor is not supported together with the Windows version that you are currently using".

8 minutes ago, LinusOnLine said:

It was one month ago when I tried it :) Doubt it has changed since then.

Officially the free Windows 10 upgrade is finished since July 29, 2016.

Is the Windows 10 free upgrade offer still available?

The Windows 10 free upgrade through the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app ended on July 29, 2016.

Source : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

25 minutes ago, matt-fr said:

I really hope Microsoft pull the plug in 2020. Windows 7 had it's moment of glory. Now it needs to end.

Anyways modern hardware isn't supported by Windows 7; for example 7th and 8th generation of Intel CPU. it gives you a big error "The processor is not supported together with the Windows version that you are currently using".

Officially the free Windows 10 upgrade is finished since July 29, 2016.

Source : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

Officially sure. Technically it still works and your key will be accepted by MS licence servers

Of course. Though, businesses/big organizations will still get special privileges.

Places like the US Department of Defense had JUST upgraded to Windows Vista around the middle of Windows 7's lifecycle.

never really liked windows 7 anyway tbh

BUT KEEP SUPPORT ON WINDOWS 8 MICROSOFT

Edited by The Friendly Elite
had something else i wanted to say and didn't want 2 posts in a row.

(Insert edgy teen quote here)

2 minutes ago, The Friendly Elite said:

never really liked windows 7 anyway tbh

BUT KEEP SUPPORT ON WINDOWS 8 MICROSOFT

oof i hope u mean windows 8.1 lmao

2 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

oof i hope u mean windows 8.1 lmao

XD, nah just my OS at the moment, gotta upgrade to windows 10, im sure MS will offer a free upgrade to 10 if they pull the plug on WIN 7, ill upgrade then.

Just now, The Friendly Elite said:

XD, nah just my OS at the moment, gotta upgrade to windows 10, im sure MS will offer a free upgrade to 10 if they pull the plug on WIN 7, ill upgrade then.

actually they got a free upgrade rn its not called "free upgrade" its called windows 10 disk image, if ur current windows is activated or if your os came in a box with the key, than it should work, thats how i upgraded my windows 7 optiplex 780

Just now, just that pc guy said:

actually they got a free upgrade rn its not called "free upgrade" its called windows 10 disk image, if ur current windows is activated or if your os came in a box with the key, than it should work, thats how i upgraded my windows 7 optiplex 780

oh damn... well i got work to do then

53 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

While not ideal and can cost people more to do that, if one enjoy and wishes to stay in win7, there's still pretty good hardware out there that's fully compatible with windows 7. But some of it will cost more than actual modern hardware. I paid a pretty penny for an 6950X even tho i could've got a stronger cpu and that cost less but only works on win10. Like i said, not ideal and there is some downsides but is 100% doable. Well, at least until things you like to run on your win7 no longer supports win7. Then you're fucked out of options.

The botnet will welcome you with open arms xD

2 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

Fucking who?

The fact that you don't know means you'll be a welcomed member ?