Which Headphone Would I Like More

food158
Go to solution Solved by food158,

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I already bought K712 PRO's :)

I went around comparing the K7XX and 6XX from Massdrop, before pulling the trigger.

And my finger is still off it.

The type of music I listen to is probably more compressed. EDM, some rock. I dabble in classical and hip hop.

I want something slightly warmer, clear vocals and the bass not so underwhelming that it has no prominence. Soundstage and imagery are fairly important as I'm coming from the dread ATH-M50x.

Analytical to a certain extent, but you have to enjoy your music.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

On 2/24/2019 at 5:17 PM, food158 said:

I went around comparing the K7XX and 6XX from Massdrop, before pulling the trigger.

The type of music I listen to is probably more compressed. EDM, some rock. I dabble in classical and hip hop.

I want something slightly warmer, clear vocals and the bass not so underwhelming that it has no prominence. Soundstage and imagery are fairly important as I'm coming from the dread ATH-M50x.

Apparently the 6XX are smooth and warm. But the K7xx have more bass and are more accurate. But the 6XX's have better mids. its up to you really.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9jj2tj/massdrop_comparison_sennheiser_hd6xx_vs_akg_k7xx/

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

36 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Apparently the 6XX are smooth and warm. But the K7xx have more bass and are more accurate. But the 6XX's have better mids. its up to you really.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9jj2tj/massdrop_comparison_sennheiser_hd6xx_vs_akg_k7xx/

So it seems the 6XX are probably my type. I like the construction better anyway.

Crimson Panda

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Just now, food158 said:

So it seems the 6XX are probably my type. I like the construction better anyway.

As long as they powered properly they should sound pretty awesome.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

HD6xx will sound more warm / dark. It will have more natural sounding vocal and mid-bass

K7xx will have better sub-bass, larger sound stage and overall more balanced sounding

I would recommend looking at K612, K702 or K712 instead of the K7XX, because the K7XX bass is rather bloated and muddy.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 2/24/2019 at 10:17 AM, food158 said:

I’d get the NAD Viso HP50. Try to find a deal on those for around $100~$150.

dont go with MAssdrop unless they are actually cheaper..  alot of times i can find it on amazon or ebay for same price.  and faster delivery.   i personally like the Superlux HD668   they have increadible sound for a 40.00 pair. id say they match if not out perform my ATHs

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 12:33 PM, Dackzy said:

I would recommend looking at K612, K702 or K712 instead of the K7XX, because the K7XX bass is rather bloated and muddy.

how do you come to this strange conclusion? The general consens is that they are china prodcued q701 with k712 pads. Which is not muddier bass but more bass, less middle tone peak and little bit better controlled highs, so overall they are more suited for most of the people outside there.

10 hours ago, Tecardo said:

how do you come to this strange conclusion? The general consens is that they are china prodcued q701 with k712 pads. Which is not muddier bass but more bass, less middle tone peak and little bit better controlled highs, so overall they are more suited for most of the people outside there.

they are far from that, your general consens must come from normal consumers or from people with little experience. Anyone into audio that have tried them and the other models will say the same as I have, the only place you will find someone thinking the K7xx are good is maybe head-fi with the newbies and here with newbies. They are a lot worse than their other AKG counterparts and well the HD 6XX. It is muddy and grainy compared to the K712, K612, K702, you can go ask about any "audiophile" with some exprience and you will get that response.

Measurements.

Spoiler

output.png

output.png

output.png

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

since your buying from mass drop might I suggest the he4xx or the hd 58x as their sound signatures fit your taste better. the and 6xx I find a little too flat for those genres especially in the low end. the low end is present but bot that fun to listen to.  and also isn't that wide of a sound stage. while  the 7xx does offer a nice thumpy bass . I find the sound stage a little too wide for something like edm and hip hop. but it's great for rock and classical. the he 4xx are great for hip hop and r and b and the 58x is the most well rounded option it offers a nice oomph on the subs and mids i find just as good as the 6xx and highs aren't as good but still really good. the sound stage is better than the 6xx and the imaging is great too. 

so all in all the 7xx nice bass mids and high are nice and flat , 

6xx: great for analytical listening

58x: IMO fit your taste the best

he 4xx: has great low end , I find the most fun to listen to for edm and hip hop r and b but has the least detail out of all the other options. 

On 3/1/2019 at 4:22 PM, SinfulLegacy said:

dont go with MAssdrop unless they are actually cheaper..  alot of times i can find it on amazon or ebay for same price.  and faster delivery.   i personally like the Superlux HD668   they have increadible sound for a 40.00 pair. id say they match if not out perform my ATHs

the heaphones he is asking about are all massdrop exclusives. 

51 minutes ago, food158 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I already bought K712 PRO's :)

did you order online? or do you already have it? would love to know your impressions

36 minutes ago, rice guru said:

did you order online? or do you already have it? would love to know your impressions

I already have it. I love the way stringed instruments sound on these headphones and the musicality.

Crimson Panda

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

13 minutes ago, food158 said:

I already have it. I love the way stringed instruments sound on these headphones and the musicality.

Always loved and for classical and or orchestral. That soundstage really does the trick for me.