how to pre-overclock?

i'm gonna build a new rig;

but...... i ran into the (problem?)

what if the GPU & CPU was bad at overclocing? (i was gonna go full liquid)

cuz if they're bad at overclocking; i can just use the non-refrence cooler...(780ti) instead of using extra money to buy like a water block which instead has only the same performance...

but i'm still gonna buy the cards etc.... (i'm quite tight on buget)

so i thought....

what if i but the components, and then overclock them manually each stage with water drops on the chip itself?

ie, for the cpu, i put no cooler on it and have a constant drops of water on it; that would cool it enough, and see how much overclocking juice i can get out of it.....

and for the GPU, pretty much the same, i spray some water from the side into the grills of the evga cooler; and see how much overclocking can i get out of it

(i live in london, so there's calcium carbonate in tap water; i figured pure water wouldn't be good, cuz they would pick up ions)

and if they're are not too good at overclocking; i would just leave it air cooler (ps; i always only had laptops; so not spare desktop components)

most parts have been tested before they are released for sale, theres no need to worry about getting a dud part only in extreme situations would you get a broken part if its first hand  

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

cuz if they're bad at overclocking; i can just use the non-refrence cooler...(780ti) instead of using extra money to buy like a water block which instead has only the same performance...

so i thought....

what if i but the components, and then overclock them manually each stage with water drops on the chip itself?

ie, for the cpu, i put no cooler on it and have a constant drops of water on it; that would cool it enough, and see how much overclocking juice i can get out of it.....

and for the GPU, pretty much the same, i spray some water from the side into the grills of the evga cooler; and see how much overclocking can i get out of it

(i live in london, so there's calcium carbonate in tap water; i figured pure water wouldn't be good, cuz they would pick up ions)

and if they're are not too good at overclocking; i would just leave it air cooler (ps; i always only had laptops; so not spare desktop components)

ok 99% of the stuff ur asking is weird and in no ways should ever be attempted and some of the stuff (water related) is very wrong

use stocck air stuff to test your system 

DO NOT PUT WATER ON THEM -_- seriously thats not how water cooling even works no water touches ANY of the components

you have to be more clear about this man

you want to cool your part with water drops that is wrong you should not do that please don't you are going to F@@k your pc

test it on air then go for water cooling and if you have any more questions just ask us ok 

watch tutorials on Linus tech tips  youtube channel there is a lot of videos about water cooling and how it works again more questions we are here

Manners Maketh Man

so i thought....

^Bold = Hell No

^Italics = Hell Yes

Your post done my head in. in a bad way,  I was lost for words...re-reading &  30seconds later....

WATERCOOLING DOES NOT PUT WATER ON COMPONENTS, You should not try any watercooling yourself, you seem to have grasped it wrong.

WTF...I can't even... someone else can handle this one.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

This was taken from Dan's Data blog (http://www.dansdata.com/) in regards to a similar sugestion:

"It takes genius to have this bad an idea

The other day it was REALLY hot and my computer was overheating while playing games, bouncing off the limiter as it were and 
 the CPU, which did bad things to my framerate.

So I took the front of the case off and removed the clogged foam dust filters and washed them and put then back and then my computer ran considerably cooler. The heat graph stayed low for a while, then climbed some more, though not nearly as high as it was before.

On a hunch, I removed the filters again, washed them again and replaced them, and the temperature went DOWN with the damp filters in place, below where it was with no filters at all!

So now it occurred to me that I could keep a spray bottle of water by the computer and spritz the front of the case whenever I wanted a little more cooling.

How moronic is this idea? Can you actually wreck your computer if water gets into it, or would the computer just hang until it dried out, or something?

H.

Answer:
First up, my standard answer for anybody who has a PC that's teetering on the edge of overheating all the time is that you need a proper solution to this problem. Add another fan or two, go all out and install a water-cooling kit if you don't have one already, take the ghetto option and remove the side of the case and point a desk fan in there. Or, of course, just overclock less.

But you're not really in that position, are you?

If no water gets into the computer, only water vapour evaporated from the damp fan filters, then it's possible that bare steel inside the computer - mainly the chassis of any normal steel case - will rust a bit faster than it otherwise would. And that's all that'll happen.

The open-cell foam of fan filters isn't what you'd call rainproof, though, so droplets of water will probably make it inside the case. If they hit hot hard-drive casings then they'll do no harm, and you could probably even get away with them hitting the motherboard. Tap-water is slightly conductive, but not necessarily conductive enough to cause anything to hang, in fine enough droplets. If you were more systematic in your madness and used distilled or demineralised water you might be able to spritz the whole mobo with the computer running and not crash anything.

Not that I recommend this aberrant practice, you understand, but it's not as blatantly nuts as it looks. The relative innocuousness of clean water is why electronic devices can so often recover even from complete immersion, as long as you dry them out pretty soon.

My favourite inexpensive extreme cooling technique is to build your computer actually inside a refrigerator, with holes cut for cables going in and out. Even if you open the door and let in moist air to condense on the components, this isn't likely to harm the computer.

The only problem with this idea, besides bulk, power consumption and the fact that it'll heat the room it's in considerably more than the PC by itself would, is that fridges do not expect to have to deal with something that's emitting heat inside them. The fridge's compressor will therefore have to run a lot more than it would otherwise, and it can wear out quite quickly as a result, especially if you're using the sort of small bar-fridge that would at first glance seem ideal for this purpose. A small fridge is actually quite likely to be unable to cope with the heat output of a running PC at all.

And even if your fridge can pump enough heat to keep a computer cool, if the overworked compressor dies, you've now got a computer inside a well-insulated box with no cooling at all, and severe overheating will occur very soon.

If you're going to try something crazy, though, why not go for broke?

And now, because it's wonderful, the refrigerator episode of The Secret Life Of Machines."

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

So you wanna spray water on a electronic circuit?

:lol:

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Reading the above makes me feel that you should not be building anything electrical let alone a PC. Rethink these ideas guy or you PC won't last 15 seconds.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Is this a troll post, because honestly dripping water on anything electrical is extremely daft, I mean common sense must have slapped you in the face pretty hard on this one? Even de-ionized water is a bad idea as it will eventually become ionized from being in contact with the components themselves. 

When its comes to buying components that are "good overclockers" there is a reason why its called the silicon lottery, from my understanding a good air cooler will allow you to hit some pretty impressive clocks, but the main aim of a full loop is lower temps and quieter computing, the slightly higher clocks you can achieve is more of a happy accident.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Spraying water...IN the computer... to achieve "pre-overclocking".  This is revolutionary, why had no one thought of this sooner? We should all test his theory and post our results here. While we're at why don't we wear giant metal rods on our heads during lightning storms to scare away the lightning and blast ourselves with fire extinguishers to make ourselves fire proof?  :lol: 

Here, take this award before you hurt yourself or break a perfectly good computer.
fc,550x550,white.jpg

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Don't pour water on your cpu. That's not how traditional water cooling works or how it should work.

There's a reason there isn't a hole at the bottom of the cpu block. The water is pumped to bring heat away from the cpu and to have the water then cooled to come back around the loop again.

What you're doing may theoretically work as some sort of cooling will not cool well enough. Either the water will spill over the components and fry your motherboard, etc, you make a contraption that prevents spilling and accumulated water just traps heat until it can no longer adequately cool the cpu and eventually boils, or the water evaporates fast enough to keep up with the water droplets and at that point, it's just not cooling the cpu enough considering the coolest the cpu would run is somewhere above 100c to boil the water off.

In short, don't do it unless you're some sort of mad scientist with some brilliant contraption we have yet to see. In the case that you are, diagrams/blueprints or pictures would be nice.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

...i was gonna go full liquid...

...water drops on the chip itself?

...ie, for the cpu, i put no cooler on it and have a constant drops of water on it; that would cool it enough, and see how much overclocking juice i can get out of it.....

...and for the GPU, pretty much the same, i spray some water from the side into the grills of the evga cooler; and see how much overclocking can i get out of it...

That's not how water-cooling works...

(I don't think you should be touching ANY electronics....j/k).

The use of water in water-cooling is to quickly transfer the heat away from the component.

At this point the heat is in the water.

The water then goes through a radiator where fans are mounted.

The fans cool the radiator / water that flows through it.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>