First time builder looking for some advice

Just now, fasauceome said:

You came to the right place.

I figured ;)

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes ASUS Prime x299 is for the 9980XE and their HEDT line.  Differences are many, main one being it offers quad channel 8 slots and has quality VRMs and components.

Doesn't Asus have an ROG X299 board?

Though the PRIME X299 is definitely a good board, its for a totally different socket type and targets enthusiasts and people who need extremely high end gear. Maximus is the high-end 'normal' socket board

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Don't forget, more money doesn't always mean better. Like I said, NVMe isn't a tangible benefit, for an m.2 SSD more suitable you could check out the 860 evo. Also, the formula gold is rated higher than the G3 on our forum's PSU tier list, click my PSU in my signature for more info.

To counter fasauceome I see or saw zero difference going from 850 pro as main drive and going with m.2  .  Only benchmarks show its 2500mbps read but loading stuff in games or working on my DAW I see zero difference, the only thing is its very tiny and small chip and it does get really hot compared to a SSD.  I mean really hot ,, SSD's can go into low 20's and teens celcious.  But a m.2 on peoples system usually sits at 40c or so.  But I researched this and it says upt o 70c the m.2 will work and not break a sweat.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

To counter

To counter? It does sound like you agree though, instead of disagree, unless I'm missing something 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, Sprinkles said:

You see, funny thing. I haven't watched the what is hyperthreading video yet so I'm unable to answer that

the easy way to explain it is that it splits each physical core into 2.

example

Core 1 (out of 8 or 6 or whatever, they all do this)

-------------

60% usage

-------------

it takes it then says alright, split it

Core 1(physical).         Core 1(virtual)

---------------               ----------------

60% usage.                 40% non-usage

It then puts load on the 40% non used core to fully use the entire core.

60% usage.                 40% usage

It doesn't always scale to 100% though, depending on the application. 100% usage on every single core, physical or virtual will cause your computer to hang. Every physical core will do this. so 8C, 16T, or 6C, 12T or whatever

A vid will explain it better than me :) Look for techquickie

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

the easy way to explain it is that it splits each physical core into 2.

example

Core 1 (out of 8 or 6 or whatever, they all do this)

-------------

60% usage

-------------

it takes it then says alright, split it

60% usage.                 40% non-usage

It then puts load on the 40% non used core to fully use the entire core.

60% usage.                 40% usage

It doesn't always scale to 100% though, depending on the application. 100% usage on every single core, physical or virtual will cause your computer to hang. Every physical core will do this. so 8C, 16T, or 6C, 12T or whatever

A vid will explain it better than me :) Look for techquickie

Would you recommend that I went for a core with hyperthreading like the 8700k or what would be my best choice in your opinion? I'm open for suggestions

2 minutes ago, Sprinkles said:

Would you recommend that I went for a core with hyperthreading like the 8700k or what would be my best choice in your opinion? I'm open for suggestions

For ME personally, ill use the threads as I edit pictures and video and threads help to speed up exports. However, if you're just gaming only, I see no need to spend extra money on a feature you'll never use. Between a 9600k and an 8700k, i PERSONALLY would take the 8700k simply because it does hyperthread to 12 threads. (9600k doesn't support HT) Single core performance and the price is around the same (depending on where you get it)  If you're up for it too, you can OC the 8700k. For gaming only, get the 9600k since you won't use the threads

TL;DR:

Gaming only: won't use the threads, so get a 9600k, save ~~$80. Gaming uses 1 core usually, HT will have no effect

Gaming/working on multithreaded stuff: get a 8700k. Spend ~~$80 for HT, which you WILL use for multithreaded stuff

31 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kZPKHx/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-11gb-xc-gaming-video-card-11g-p4-2382-kr

$1200, so $200 less than what you're quoting. That's with free shipping too. 

The thing is I live in Denmark and with our tax system the prices are WAAAAAAY different from the ones you guys are finding. The MSI Trio Gaming is $1050 and the 2080 Ti prices start around $1500. This also means that the MSI card isnt actually overpriced here compared to other cards. I'm not entirely sure if it's up there performance wise compared to other cards but from a price point of view it's not too bad for me compared to an ASUS card

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

For ME personally, ill use the threads as I edit pictures and video and threads help to speed up exports. However, if you're just gaming only, I see no need to spend extra money on a feature you'll never use. Between a 9600k and an 8700k, i PERSONALLY would take the 8700k simply because it does hyperthread to 12 threads. (9600k doesn't support HT) Single core performance and the price is around the same (depending on where you get it)  If you're up for it too, you can OC the 8700k. For gaming only, get the 9600k since you won't use the threads

TL;DR:

Gaming only: won't use the threads, so get a 9600k, save ~~$80. Gaming uses 1 core usually, HT will have no effect

Gaming/working on multithreaded stuff: get a 8700k. Spend ~~$80 for HT, which you WILL use for multithreaded stuff

I plan on OC but would it be stupid if I went for the 9700k rather than the 8700k?

49 minutes ago, xg32 said:

there's no need to go with a 5400rpm drive

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-3-5-Inch-ST2000DM006/dp/B071WLPRHN/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=hdd&qid=1550858629&s=gateway&sr=8-4&th=1

that 2080 is overpriced unless you are going for looks, for 200 more than the 2080 trio you can get a 2080 ti black

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-2081-KR

for psu the g2 is better but 20dollars more atm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKDETOC/ref=twister_B01LXKQ07C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For z390 motherboard, just pick anything from the gigabyte lineup or the taichi that's on sale atm. Most asus boards are downgraded this generation for cost savings on their part.

The thing is I live in Denmark and with our tax system the prices are WAAAAAAY different from the ones you guys are finding. The MSI Trio Gaming is $1050 and the 2080 Ti prices start around $1500. This also means that the MSI card isnt actually overpriced here compared to other cards. I'm not entirely sure if it's up there performance wise compared to other cards but from a price point of view it's not too bad for me compared to an ASUS card

42 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

The cheapest 2080Ti I have seen is the EVGA almost 1385 dollars so basically 1400 dollars.  You can't buy a 2080Ti for 1100 dollars,, minimum is 1300 dollars on vanilla model.

4 minutes ago, Sprinkles said:

I plan on OC but would it be stupid if I went for the 9700k rather than the 8700k?

It depends. Ill is essentially the same for gaming only. Its not like a 8700K will become obsolete way before a 9700k. Itll last you a way whiles.

3 minutes ago, Sprinkles said:

You can multiquote by using the "+" button, then clicking reply to all