Wrong Disk Free Space

Go to solution Solved by tarfeef101,

Adding onto what QXC said, if you run 

du -sh *

in the root directory (you're root so you shouldn't get errors), it'll summarize the content size of each folder/file at that level. It's how I usually inspect disk usage

Hi

I have Kali Linux 2018.1 installed. I was pretty stable until xfce stopped working and i've got it fixed so i can get into the desktop (yay).

But I get another issue, when i checked disk space using df, then it shows free 0%, but if you see the available and used space it shows that i still have ~200MB of space available. i started removing unneeded packages, it shows no space available. start deleting things, not really helps.

look at the attachment (yes i use virtual box linked to actual disk; the problem persist when i boot normally)

Screenshot (307).png

du -h --max-depth=1 is good for finding where all that data is being used. There's also good ol k4dirstat since you're in a gui. Be careful running du from the root dir, it'll run through /proc and throw a bunch of errors that gum up the output.

Try and knock a few hundred MB out and see if df shows a difference.

This is all also assuming you don't just have a full trash bin somewhere.

My guess is the issue is just that 127M left on / isn't enough for many programs. A lot of programs will use temp space while running, and 127M is nowhere near enough for many programs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

du -sh *

in the root directory (you're root so you shouldn't get errors), it'll summarize the content size of each folder/file at that level. It's how I usually inspect disk usage

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

9 minutes ago, QXC said:

du -h --max-depth=1 is good for finding where all that data is being used. There's also good ol k4dirstat since you're in a gui. Be careful running du from the root dir, it'll run through /proc and throw a bunch of errors that gum up the output.

Try and knock a few hundred MB out and see if df shows a difference.

This is all also assuming you don't just have a full trash bin somewhere.

7 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

du -sh *

thank you guys, found the problem.

i didnt even remember that i was dumping my friend sdcard to the disk XD. it was 6.5GB now everything worked again.

thank you

df -h is actually better command to show disk usage

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

3 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

df -h is actually better command to show disk usage

df -h shows human readable, OP was using df -m for megabytes. Different, but still functional.

If you are talking about df vs du, the later shows disk usage, but specifically by showing file sizes. du is much more useful for hunting down disk use.

9 hours ago, QXC said:

df -h shows human readable, OP was using df -m for megabytes. Different, but still functional.

If you are talking about df vs du, the later shows disk usage, but specifically by showing file sizes. du is much more useful for hunting down disk use.

If you want free disk space du won't give you that. du will give you file/folder disk usages. Title is wrong then. OP did not want free disk space, he wanted file/folder sizes.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.