FTP server setup

Longbow1

I know this is going to sound simple to everyone here, but can anyone recommend a good resource to learn how to setup a ftp server.  I watched about 37 videos yesterday and they all say different things.  I have a very simple filezilla server running right now and can get on it from the locahost but after that i have no idea.  I can do the port forwarding fine, but i have a asus ac router and they have a built in ftp that runs on port 21 which will conflict with the normally accepted ftp port of 21.  I thought this was going to simple but either i am missing something, or its actually quite complex.

I have figured out how to setup RDP remotely for 3 pc's at my parents just fine and that took some thinking, but this ftp thing has me stumped.  Please help

Thanks

In your router just disable the FTP server and make the rule to forward to your computer.

Be sure to also make a rule for it in your windows firewall.

DO NOT USE FTP OVER THE INTERNET! (or at all except for super backwards compatibility use cases)

Use SFTP on port 22 for all external communications. If you can also use public-private key authentication.

I have no idea what sftp is and i am figuring that public-private key is some kind of PGP offshoot.  Anyplace you could direct me to learn more?  All the youtube stuff says different things.  I don't think you can turn off the ftp server in the asus router, but i will double check.

Thanks again guys, you are life savers

1 minute ago, Longbow1 said:

I have no idea what sftp is and i am figuring that public-private key is some kind of PGP offshoot.  Anyplace you could direct me to learn more?  All the youtube stuff says different things.  I don't think you can turn off the ftp server in the asus router, but i will double check.

Thanks again guys, you are life savers

If you need to remote into your parents computers I would just use Teamviewer. It's free to use so long as it is for non-commercial use.

Is this why you are trying to open ports? Is there another reason for that?

Also could you Quote people so we know you replied? We don't get notified otherwise (It's the little arrow pointing backwards).

FileZilla doesn't support SFTP, but it does support FTPS which can be used instead.

You can create a private SSL inside of FileZilla FTP server and allow connectivity on FTPS via TCP 990 forwarded from your asus router.  You will also need to specify the PASV (Passive) FTP port range and forward this from your router also, I would recommend setting this to something like 40000-40100 so you have 100 ports in the PASV range.

This vid will help you with FTPS for FileZilla;

Once you have that done and the ports forwarded, it should work and be secure.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Just now, Windows7ge said:

If you need to remote into your parents computers I would just use Teamviewer. It's free to use so long as it is for non-commercial use.

Is this why you are trying to open ports? Is there another reason for that?

Also could you Quote people so we know you replied? We don't get notified otherwise (It's the little arrow pointing backwards).

oh ok, sorry i didn't know the forum etiquette.  My parents are both very old and need unattended access, and teamviewer charges for that after 14 days, RDP gave me a easy option.  FTP will give me the ability to push files over if i need to replace anything.  I also have a huge movie library and if i was at a friends house and wanted to give hime the file, i thought FTP would be a easy way to do that.  

That was my intent with all of this

thanks

Please correct me if I am wrong about any of this or if there is a easier way

Just now, Longbow1 said:

oh ok, sorry i didn't know the forum etiquette.  My parents are both very old and need unattended access, and teamviewer charges for that after 14 days, RDP gave me a easy option.  FTP will give me the ability to push files over if i need to replace anything.  I also have a huge movie library and if i was at a friends house and wanted to give hime the file, i thought FTP would be a easy way to do that.  

thanks

That's fine, you're new. I didn't know about it either when I first joined.

When you are installing Teamviewer it should ask you if this is for a home or commercial application. I'm guessing someone may have selected the latter. The home application is free (though it has a couple pop-ups when logging out of your session "Thank you for using Teamviewer please think about liking us on facebook!" or something to that extent.

Teamviewer allows the transfer of files over their protocol however if you insist on your solution Falconevo definitely knows more about the specific topic here than me.

7 minutes ago, Longbow1 said:

thanks

Look into VNC...

https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/vnc/

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That's fine, you're new. I didn't know about it either when I first joined.

When you are installing Teamviewer it should ask you if this is for a home or commercial application. I'm guessing someone may have selected the latter. The home application is free (though it has a couple pop-ups when logging out of your session "Thank you for using Teamviewer please think about liking us on facebook!" or something to that extent.

Teamviewer allows the transfer of files over their protocol however if you insist on your solution Falconevo definitely knows more about the specific topic here than me.

I just don't want to pay.  The free version allows unlimited access but there has to be someone in front of the pc to click ok.  If you want true "god-like" powers where i can take over their pc's when ever i want, its only free for 14 days then you have to an acct.   Sucks

Thank you everyone for all your help.  I just found out about the forums from a linus video recently talking about about bunch of drama going on.  Did not even know this place existed.  ALL of you are amazing and so helpful.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Longbow1 said:

I just don't want to pay.  The free version allows unlimited access but there has to be someone in front of the pc to click ok.  If you want true "god-like" powers where i can take over their pc's when ever i want, its only free for 14 days then you have to an acct.   Sucks

I use the free version of Teamviewer and have never had to have the other end click on anything to remote in. Also check out Comodo One for remote management.

2 hours ago, Longbow1 said:

I also have a huge movie library and if i was at a friends house and wanted to give hime the file, i thought FTP would be a easy way to do that.  

FTP is a very old and unsecure protocol, you really shouldn't use it anymore.

You could setup a VPN and then browse to your shared folder, setup a Webdav server, or use something like Owncloud/Nextcloud. I'd recommend Nextcloud.

4 hours ago, Longbow1 said:

FTP will give me the ability to push files over if i need to replace anything.  I also have a huge movie library and if i was at a friends house and wanted to give hime the file, i thought FTP would be a easy way to do that.  

If you're using RDP, you can attach your local drives over RDP, and you can transfer files up to 2GB in size. That would probably be more convenient? 

Though its not recommended to have RDP public facing for security. I have a Raspberry Pi in my network that acts as a linux jumphost....because its SSH it can also act as a SOCKS5 proxy for doing RDP without having a public port open. RDP over SSH is far more secure. You can also do FTP over SSH (sftp) natively if you mount the shared volume in the linux host as well

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 2/21/2019 at 7:31 PM, Longbow1 said:

I have a very simple filezilla server running right now and can get on it from the locahost but after that i have no idea.  I can do the port forwarding fine, but i have a asus ac router and they have a built in ftp that runs on port 21 which will conflict with the normally accepted ftp port of 21.

Did you remember to create an incoming rule for that port on your machine allowing access from any IP?

If your router doesn't play ball with 21/tcp chance the port to something else.

Are you using active or passive mode? With passive mode you need to have an wxtra range of dynamic ports forwarded as well.

On 2/21/2019 at 1:31 PM, Longbow1 said:

I have figured out how to setup RDP remotely for 3 pc's at my parents just fine and that took some thinking, but this ftp thing has me stumped.  Please help

From experience, having your RDP ports open is bad new. I remember having to rebuild 10 servers for a client that was cryptoed cus they "Didn't want no fancy VPN set up." The totally easiest way fro remote access and file access is TeamViewer. Hands down.