Is a single 240mm rad enough ?

Hi guys, i currently have 2 r9 290's in crossfire, and am struggling from thermal throttling. There is a guy selling a LARKOOLER BA2-241 kit for 45 canadian dollars on kijiji near me, It has a 35mm thick 240mm rad. Do you think that this rad could keep my 2 gpu's from thermal throttling ? there are forums of people using H50 aios on r9 290x's, and that has a rad that is almost a whole cm thicker, so it should be OK, right ?

15 minutes ago, Overbuilder said:

Hi guys, i currently have 2 r9 290's in crossfire, and am struggling from thermal throttling. There is a guy selling a LARKOOLER BA2-241 kit for 45 canadian dollars on kijiji near me, It has a 35mm thick 240mm rad. Do you think that this rad could keep my 2 gpu's from thermal throttling ? there are forums of people using H50 aios on r9 290x's, and that has a rad that is almost a whole cm thicker, so it should be OK, right ?

Theoretically that should be alright but I would suggest to get AIO's and adapter brackets for the GPU. That kit looks to be pretty old school for watercooling, not to mention the need to do maintenance and getting compatible blocks for the GPU's.

but if i cable-tie the cpu blocks to the gpu and use push/pull, it should be alright ? I have heastsinks for the VRm and memory.

4 minutes ago, Overbuilder said:

but if i cable-tie the cpu blocks to the gpu and use push/pull, it should be alright ? I have heastsinks for the VRm and memory.

While it can be done I don't consider or recommend that to be an acceptable method of mounting a block to a GPU, you would be better to get a full cover or universal blocks for the GPU or to directly use AIO's which would be designed for this kind of mounting. 

I would suggest selling your two cards and buying a single better card. Even if you only get like $80 a card, plus the $100 or so you'll have to spend on cooling, you should have plenty of money for a much newer GPU like a GTX 1070 or Vega card (though a vega card probably wouldn't fix your thermal problems lol).

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.