All-in-one computer tripping circuit breaker

OnionRings

Hey guys my sister has a bit of a weird issue where I gave her one of my mom's old all-in-one computers and whenever she turns it on and starts playing games on it it trips the circuit breaker in their house they tried moving circuits and everything but it still seems to be tripping it before the introduction of the all-in-one the only thing they had on the circuit was a PS4 ATV a laptop a phone charger and whatever ceiling fans and lights were currently on and there were no problems but now with the all-in-one it is tripping the breaker and I'm trying to figure out why the hell and all-in-one is pulling enough power to trip a breaker sorry for the lack of punctuation I am using speech to text on my phone

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Crappy surge protector? Do they have electric heat?

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

7 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Hey guys my sister has a bit of a weird issue where I gave her one of my mom's old all-in-one computers and whenever she turns it on and starts playing games on it it trips the circuit breaker in their house they tried moving circuits and everything but it still seems to be tripping it before the introduction of the all-in-one the only thing they had on the circuit was a PS4 ATV a laptop a phone charger and whatever ceiling fans and lights were currently on and there were no problems but now with the all-in-one it is tripping the breaker and I'm trying to figure out why the hell and all-in-one is pulling enough power to trip a breaker sorry for the lack of punctuation I am using speech to text on my phone

I would imagine the circuits are being used near capacity already, and the extra wattage from the AIO is just putting it over the edge. Did it have this behavior at your house?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

That seems like a lot for one circuit. You're receptacles, appliances, and lights should all be on their own circuits respectively. If they can't find a receptacle that doesn't trip, then the house/building may be wired wrong. I live in a trailer home from 1980, even I have separate circuits for everything. You typically will have multiple receptacles from one, sometimes two rooms on the same circuit breaker, which is normal. So check to make sure you're not sharing a circuit with receptacles that have loads of high draw stuff plugged in from another room. That AIO probably pulls 200 watts at the most, now imagine if you gave her a high end gaming pc. What room are they plugging the computer into, and what other rooms have they tried? Have they tried plugging it in on the complete opposite side of the house, far away from that room? Maybe even try some odd ball rooms like the kitchen, just to give it a shot.  

On 2/15/2019 at 8:23 PM, Chronified said:

Crappy surge protector? Do they have electric heat?

Not in surge. Yes.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:24 PM, SenpaiKaplan said:

I would imagine the circuits are being used near capacity already, and the extra wattage from the AIO is just putting it over the edge. Did it have this behavior at your house?

No, we had it in our living room as my moms main PC, no trips.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:29 PM, TempestCatto said:

That seems like a lot for one circuit. You're receptacles, appliances, and lights should all be on their own circuits respectively. If they can't find a receptacle that doesn't trip, then the house/building may be wired wrong. I live in a trailer home from 1980, even I have separate circuits for everything. You typically will have multiple receptacles from one, sometimes two rooms on the same circuit breaker, which is normal. So check to make sure you're not sharing a circuit with receptacles that have loads of high draw stuff plugged in from another room. That AIO probably pulls 200 watts at the most, now imagine if you gave her a high end gaming pc. What room are they plugging the computer into, and what other rooms have they tried? Have they tried plugging it in on the complete opposite side of the house, far away from that room? Maybe even try some odd ball rooms like the kitchen, just to give it a shot.  

They might have to move it into the kitchen/dining area like before, no issues there. It seems to be that there house is 2 rooms and 1 bathroom on 1 circuit, then the other 2 and other bath on the other, then kitchen I assume is on its own.

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Seems the electric heat + other objects in that area of the house are reaching the 15amp/1500watt max that most "stock" residential breakers use.

However, if the breaker is 10+ years old and has tripped many times, the "trip" will wear out that 15amp/1500w breaker and it'll be closer to around 1000-1200w,  I had a bad kitchen breaker that a 1100w microwave kept tripping if I had the 80w ceiling light on and the fridge plugged in at the same time. Try finding an older 1500w heater and see if that trips the same breaker.

If it does; find a buddy who can replace the 15A breaker with a 25A one. Super cheap, any hardware store / walmart carries them.

Youtube is great, but it's also dangerous. So find someone who know's what they're doing if you can, however shutting of the main power to the house is the easiest way to do this safely DIY-guide style (I had to upgrade my office to 25A, I'm not an electrician but I'm confident in my skills).

Best of luck!

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

5 hours ago, Chronified said:

If it does; find a buddy who can replace the 15A breaker with a 25A one. Super cheap, any hardware store / walmart carries them.

Youtube is great, but it's also dangerous. So find someone who know's what they're doing if you can, however shutting of the main power to the house is the easiest way to do this safely DIY-guide style (I had to upgrade my office to 25A, I'm not an electrician but I'm confident in my skills).

While that's not a bad idea, you need to be careful. You need to ensure your wiring can also handle 25A. Older buildings and homes may not have strong enough wiring, and therefore you'd need to upgrade that as well.

7 hours ago, Chronified said:

...find a buddy who can replace the 15A breaker with a 25A one. Super cheap, any hardware store / walmart carries them...

That is really BAD advice! Do not EVER do this! It is extremely unlikely (as in never) that the wiring on the circuit will be rated for any more current than the orignal breaker. Allowing more current through is likely to to start a fire. So, again, DON'T DO IT!

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Yeah, I wouldn't go purposely loading that circuit with 2000w+ of electronics (or more than you have now for that matter), but to get it to stop popping when you go load up a game on the AIO it should be fine. 

But yeah, agreed, as mentioned above, if you have an older house I'd be wary of loading that circuit with more than you have now IF you upgrade to 25a.

My rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

70.5 Whr Battery

*deep breath*

3 hours ago, Chronified said:

Yeah, I wouldn't go purposely loading that circuit with 2000w+ of electronics (or more than you have now for that matter), but to get it to stop popping when you go load up a game on the AIO it should be fine. 

But yeah, agreed, as mentioned above, if you have an older house I'd be wary of loading that circuit with more than you have now IF you upgrade to 25a.

Not only would you need to upgrade the wiring to 25A, you'd also need to upgrade the receptacle(s) to 25A as well. All in all, seems like a lot of trouble for just one measly computer. I'd much rather move it to another room myself.

On 2/18/2019 at 2:52 AM, Chronified said:

Seems the electric heat + other objects in that area of the house are reaching the 15amp/1500watt max that most "stock" residential breakers use.

However, if the breaker is 10+ years old and has tripped many times, the "trip" will wear out that 15amp/1500w breaker and it'll be closer to around 1000-1200w,  I had a bad kitchen breaker that a 1100w microwave kept tripping if I had the 80w ceiling light on and the fridge plugged in at the same time. Try finding an older 1500w heater and see if that trips the same breaker.

Best of luck!

Sadly they rent so I doubt they can go messing with that.

CPU