Nvidia 800 series vs AMD 300 series

Mr.Dirt

If you guys had to predict which series will be better which would it be?.

Taking into account the features both companies offer Nvidia: Physx (FLEX), Shadowplay, G-sync and geforce Experience.

AMD: TressFX, Mantle, Freesync, intergration with Raptr (and I guess you could add in the mining).

Yes 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

nvidida also has shield support. and raptr is annoying and i deleted it so its a con to me.  But high end is nvidia and low  to medium end amd will win so over all with amount of good cards amd will win. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Nvidia, just like it's been for awhile

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

If you guys had to predict which series will be better which would it be?.

Taking into account the features both companies offer Nvidia: Physx (FLEX), Shadowplay, G-sync and geforce Experience.

AMD: TressFX, Mantle, Freesync, intergration with Raptr (and I guess you could add in the mining).

Personally, Nvidia. Even now they are better. Shadow play is outstanding and they have some light works coming out that look revolutionary. AMD will probably be the better 200-250$ card, just like they always are, but Nvidia always holds top card honors.

Considering that the R9 290X is pretty close performance wise to the GTX 780 ti,Kepler,and considering the typical performance gains between architectures we should see Nvidia's flagship card have ~15-20% higher performance.

And since the 300 series will be the same architecture it will see a less notable improvement.

So I'd bet on Nvidia having the faster single GPU graphics card for 2014.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

It is just rumors until the cards are announced. We can't say anything about performance. Numbers don't really matter, it is different in the real world.

Quote me to get a reply!

300 series is far away, maybe volta and 300 series will be "same gen."

Actually, if we are assuming that the 800 series will be 20 nm maxwell, then AMD's Pirate Islands series (Rx 3xx) and the 800 series will be releasing pretty much at the same time.

Actually, if we are assuming that the 800 series will be 20 nm maxwell, then AMD's Pirate Islands series (Rx 3xx) and the 800 series will be releasing pretty much at the same time.

Maxwell is 28nm

Maxwell sounds pretty damn cool to me I. We get unified virtual memory. And Volta sounds even better with stacked DRAM. After that we will probably be getting 3D GPU's so the cores will be stacked on top of one another but that is just a prediction. You call it stacked GPU cores. Just a prediction though. We don't know what the 300 series will have to offer so I would just get the 800 series. personally I am waiting for the 900 series or the 1000 series from Nvidia as my 680 Classified is still all I need plus I want to water cool it and OC it to 1500mhz at least. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

+1 for Intel HD 9001.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Maxwell is 28nm

nVidia said in a statement that they are done with 28 nm, so either they were lying or Maxwell is 20 nm...

And if it's 28 nm...that'll be a poor performance improvement.

I think things will stay the same, NVIDIA at the top and AMD as best price/performance, unless we see a huge performance boost with Mantle. 

inb4 flame war. We don't know how these cards will perform so why bother asking?

Pretty much. We won't know anything till about 3 days after the cards are released.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

300 series is far away, maybe volta and 300 series will be "same gen."

The stuff I saw about volta having stacked vram on the gpu, so insane.. I think they said something about 1tb/s memory bandwidth or some insane number like that :o so crazy :)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Pretty much. We won't know anything till about 3 days after the cards are released.

I think you meant before.

I think you meant before.

I don't trust anything but benchmarks after release. Unless the reviewers are sent the cards a week in advance they usually come out day of release or several days after.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Stupid topic, anyone who calms to have any idea on which card will best or even the best perf/price ratio has no idea what they're talking about. Wait for release and then benchmarks. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Nvidia 800 series, AMD underwent a major renovation with the 200 series that wasnt ncessarily bad but had a few kinks. Perhaps late 300 but likely 400 will be back on par.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

They'll undoubtedly stay pretty close to eachother, and gpu hardware is likely only to get better incrementally at this point.

I'd LIKE to see AMD pull ahead in a general sense, but no one can know. Nvidia fagols, stop citing shadowplay. It's getting old, and likely a selling point for people needing to overcome some deep seeded social insecurities. 

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p