Looking to replace a dumbphone and aging tablet...

Kevin_Walter

I currently have a non-smart phone that isn't worth naming, and an Amazon Fire HD 6. I take both of these to work, but I'm looking to replace them. I'm tired of carrying two devices with me everywhere, the battery on the tablet isn't that great, and the charging port on it is dying. I won't even go into all the issues I'm having with the phone...

I mostly use my tablet for web browsing (which is stupid slow), watching youtube videos, making notes and lists, running various 2-factor authenticators, and some mild gaming. I mostly play the Kingdom Rush games and sometimes others like Boom Beach, Exploding Kittens, and *coughCandyCrushcough*...

I'm basically wanting something that works at least as well as the tablet, but is also a phone. Considering the tablet was only in the neighborhood of $80 when I bought it like 4 years ago, I'm assuming just about anything releasing since then will work just as well with the exception of maybe super-budget $50 garbage, right?

I'm not interested in spending $100 a month to have a smartphone. I'd like to pay less than $200 and get a phone that I can use with something like Verizon's prepaid service. I use wifi at home and at work, so I have no use for unlimited data plans and all that. I'm also very phone-illiterate. This would be my first smartphone.

Help me, LTT Forums. You're my only hope!

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

As a fellow dumbphone owner, I'm curious as to what you have. I have a Pantech P5000 myself. It has a physical Qwerty keyboard for texting and makes calls. That's all I need, all I want.

I'd say to go with the new Xiaomi redmi note 7 when it comes out, should be soon... very nice looking for a mid-range phone.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_7-9513.php

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Or if you want to go used try Motorola's G series smartphones. I own a Moto G4 myself and it cost me less than $100.

I had a Zenfone 3 Zoom for a long time and it worked great until I cracked the screen and had to open it to fix it. It never worked right after opening it and I had to buy a new phone to replace it.

If that's not a problem for you, I can highly recommend the regular Zenfone 3. It's a good phone, still powerful, will last you a long time as long as you don't drop phones (or if you buy a thick leather case or something). You can get it for something like $180 new on Amazon, or $100 refurb.

It actually has specs just one step below many flagships, believe it or not.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

7 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

As a fellow dumbphone owner, I'm curious as to what you have. I have a Pantech P5000 myself. It has a physical Qwerty keyboard for texting and makes calls. That's all I need, all I want.

It's a Kin. One of the small ones. Predecessor to the Windows Phones.

Thanks for the suggestions, peeps.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."