Vega 64 random black screens

Hi, maybe someone here has an idea what is going wrong with my system.

So i recently bought a Radeon RX Vega 64 "Red Devil" by PowerColor (used) to replace the GTX 980 i had before. But I have a big problem: Randomly my screen will freeze for a while, then go dark and show "no signal". After a few moments the screen will turn back on and whatever program i was using will either be stuck blank or already have shut down. Whenever the screen freezes the lights on the graphics card that indicate what state it is in, will all light up (which usually means full load) and as soon as the screen goes black the lights return to state one.

Mostly when the signal comes back I get the message "Default Wattman settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure".

This has happened playing games (Forza Horizon 3, Watch Dogs) and when working in Blender, Maya and Subtance Painter. But it also happened a few times when I was just using firefox.

The weirdest thing is in blender for example it only ever happens whe I am working in the viewport, so not much to do for the graphics card, but when i render something it usually works fine (I even rendered a 400 frame animation yesterday with no problem). I'm also able to run Benchmarks like TimeSpy and Firestrike.

I have contacted AMD support where I first got told to update my Drivers to 19.1.2 then downgrade to 18.9.3 and then update to 19.2.1. And the only thing that changed was that, since I've had the 18.9.3 Dirvers installed, the Firestrike Benchmark works, which it didn't before on 19.1.2 but it still does work on 19.2.1

So I am really confused as to what the problem seems to be, because it mostly happens very consistently under low loads but also in games. So I am very confused and frustrated, because I was really stoked for this GPU but if I can't fix this soon I might have to switch back to team green :(

Thanks for any help or advice :)

These are the specs of my System:

OS   Windows 10 Home 64-bit

PSU   730W be quiet! L8 80+ Bronze
CPU   Intel Core i7 4790K 

GPU   Vega 64 Red Devil 8GB
RAM   16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard   ASUS H97-PRO

8 minutes ago, NorthNine said:

PSU   730W be quiet! L8 80+ Bronze

pls replace it with a modern, good quality PSU like be quiet Straight Power 11, Bitfenix Whisper M.

550W should be enough w/o OC.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Have you tried Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)? Its something worth a try,since from what I understand you went from a gtx 980 to a vega 64 on the same system and OS install.

And telling the OP "pls buy a new psu" is jumping to conclusions before trying other things, if you do want to try another PSU I wouldn't recommend less than 650w with a vega 64, the vega cards are worth overclocking and if you choose to upgrade your cpu later you'll have plenty of power to overclock.

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

pls replace it with a modern, good quality PSU like be quiet Straight Power 11, Bitfenix Whisper M.

550W should be enough w/o OC.

Thanks for the tip, I already had the thought that the PSU might be the problem, but would a bad PSU really cause this kind of behavior? This feels kinda weird to me. I mean I don't know a lot, but how can a bad PSU cause my GPU to randomly turn up to full power and get stuck there until windowds decides to shut down the drivers? (at least I'm pretty sure that's what's happening)

I thought if that was the problem it would make more sense if the card or the whole system just shut down... but if I am completely wrong about that I'd be happy to know, thanks!

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Have you tried Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)? Its something worth a try,since from what I understand you went from a gtx 980 to a vega 64 on the same system and OS install.

And telling the OP "pls buy a new psu" is jumping to conclusions before trying other things, if you do want to try another PSU I wouldn't recommend less than 650w with a vega 64, the vega cards are worth overclocking and if you choose to upgrade your cpu later you'll have plenty of power to overclock.

Yes, I've used DDU to uninstall the Nvidia drivers, and also deleted everything else that looked to be from nvidia i could find on my system ^^

And thanks for the further PSU advice :)

The problem has now also happened three times in a row while the only thing i had open was FIrefox... I am so confused :(

5 minutes ago, NorthNine said:

The problem has now also happened three times in a row while the only thing i had open was FIrefox... I am so confused :(

You can try the following:
Install MSI Afterburner (or maybe the Trixx Tool from Sapphire).

And then look in the Options and "disable ULPS" 

And look if that fixes it.

4 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

And telling the OP "pls buy a new psu" is jumping to conclusions

we're talking about an almost 10 Year old PSU...

https://geizhals.de/be-quiet-pure-power-l8-cm-730w-atx-2-31-l8-cm-730w-bn183-a674424.html

Introduced back in 2011...

I have the same issues and I use an EVGA P2 750. 650 G3 before that and same issues. I literally upgraded to see if it would help (among other things).. 

Are you overclocking the card when it "resets?" I am, I figured It's either the drivers or certain applications/games that just don't like my overclock/settings..I think it might have even done it while on default settings but I don't particularly remember at the moment.. 

Also, using the 'auto overclock' settings straight crashes my entire system. Like won't even let my computer turn back on, constantly goes to blue screen and won't load windows. I have to go into safe mode and delete/reset the entire driver just to use the computer normal again. I even reinstalled windows once due to it. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Does your monitor have ACSR on it? I had some similar problems with that monitor setting.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

14 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

You can try the following:
Install MSI Afterburner (or maybe the Trixx Tool from Sapphire).

And then look in the Options and "disable ULPS" 

And look if that fixes it.

Thanks, i tried with Afterburner and also Trixx, but sadly that didn't solve the problem, although i reinstalled the drivers yesterday and now it doesn't crash in firefox as often as before.

13 hours ago, ChewToy! said:

I have the same issues and I use an EVGA P2 750. 650 G3 before that and same issues. I literally upgraded to see if it would help (among other things).. 

Are you overclocking the card when it "resets?" I am, I figured It's either the drivers or certain applications/games that just don't like my overclock/settings..I think it might have even done it while on default settings but I don't particularly remember at the moment.. 

Also, using the 'auto overclock' settings straight crashes my entire system. Like won't even let my computer turn back on, constantly goes to blue screen and won't load windows. I have to go into safe mode and delete/reset the entire driver just to use the computer normal again. I even reinstalled windows once due to it. 

No I am not overclocking the card. As far is i know everything in the Wattman Settings is set to standard and on the GPU itself there's a little switch to switch between three BIOS modes (silent, standard, boost) which was set to boost when I got it, but I've put it on standard after I noticed with no noticeable change to performance or stability.

8 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

Does your monitor have ACSR on it? I had some similar problems with that monitor setting.

I'm not sure what you mean. The only thing I could find on the Internet called ACSR is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium-conductor_steel-reinforced_cable

but I don't see how that has anything to do with a monitor ^^ can you explain what you mean?

Mabe this helps with figuring out what exactly is happening here. The attached image is what the monitoring iside the Trixx Tool showed after the last crash.

TixxGPU_Forzacrash_1.jpg

Is there any way that i can narrow down the source of this problem? Because if I can be sure it's the power supply I'll gladly get a better one, but I wouldn't be to happy to buy one, just to find out that the problem lies elswhere.

Thanksfor the help so far :)

7 minutes ago, NorthNine said:

Is there any way that i can narrow down the source of this problem? Because if I can be sure it's the power supply I'll gladly get a better one, but I wouldn't be to happy to buy one, just to find out that the problem lies elswhere.

I would just wait. I upgraded PSUs (as mentioned be4) and still have this problem. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

1 hour ago, NorthNine said:

You need the new/better PSU anyway as your L8 is pretty old and not that great. After ~8 Years or so, its likely that its not up to the task or the cause of Problems.

Even if its not, your PC Hardware will thank you for replacing it with a longer life...

If that doesn't help, you have to RMA the GPU...

I had many problem when I change from a 1070 to a vega 56. I have to DUU twice to get card work stable.

3 hours ago, Type 2501 said:

I had many problem when I change from a 1070 to a vega 56. I have to DUU twice to get card work stable.

I'm going to try removing all the drivers tomorrow, when I look under my C drive I see a shit load of different folders for different drivers and I don't think there should be nearly that  many.. Hopefully that helps.. 

Did the previous owner have similar kind of issues?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Does the card have two 8-pin power plugs?

Are you using an independent PCIE cable for each plug, or a double off of one?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 hours ago, ChewToy! said:

I'm going to try removing all the drivers tomorrow, when I look under my C drive I see a shit load of different folders for different drivers and I don't think there should be nearly that  many.. Hopefully that helps.. 

Display drivers is hard to remove manually, try to use a tools called DDU. It should give you a better chance.

6 hours ago, ChewToy! said:

Yeah I also found a bunch of folders there at one point, but I used DDU to uninstall everything and deleted those folders. Sadly that didn't do it for me :/

6 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

Did the previous owner have similar kind of issues?

He didn't mention anything of the sort. Maybe I'll be able to cantact him and find out...

6 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

Does the card have two 8-pin power plugs?

Are you using an independent PCIE cable for each plug, or a double off of one?

Yes it has two, and I'm using seperate power cables.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've tried using a Corsair RM750x PSU (80 Plus Gold) but the problem still remains. I guess that's it, I'm out of Ideas now...

That is too bad to hear :(
So the only thing you can do now is to RMA the Graphics Card.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. I'm wondering if it might be my card. Might have to try Founders Edition. I just searched the internet for "black screen powercolor amd cards" and I'm finding very similar stories…

Ryzen 7 7800X3D / B650 AUROS ELITE AX / G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 / DeepCool LT520 / NZXT H7 Flow

Same problem on my Vega 56.

I am running out of ideas.

I have tried different version of drivers. Booth Bioses, downclock my ram to 2666mhz and default settings in MB Bios. And still crashes. PC is stable with R290x, RX550.

Ryzen 5 1600

Asus Prime B350 plus

4x8gb 3200mz RAM (Corsair, G.Skill booth same Hynix chip)

My PSU is 750w Enermax NAXN

My first Vega was used reference card from Sapphire

https://youtu.be/t3vM0AXWsks One video of crash.

After RMA I got new Asus Vega 56 Strix and it is same again.

Have you tried setting the GPU memory so it doesn't down-clock?

I'm at work, so can't give screenshots, but you go into wattman, set memory OC to manual and right-click on the memories "State 7" and choose to set the value as Min/Max.

This should stop the memory going down to 167mhz

Again, this is from memory so I might have some details a bit out, but give it a go.

I had this no-load blackscreen issue on my Vega 56 and doing this has had it stable for around a month.

Wish I could use Wattman in macOS ?

Yeah this happens under NO load—Furmark, Prime95, Cinebench (CPU/GPU), no problems... in the middle of web browsing or maybe the ten year old CoD4—boom! Black screen! I want to punch my screen!

Ryzen 7 7800X3D / B650 AUROS ELITE AX / G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 / DeepCool LT520 / NZXT H7 Flow