The Speed of Obseletion

The_Mudgel

So I'm currently reading a compTIA A+ study guide and you can tell that it was printed years ago. There are some good ones, things like IDE being the most popular type of data connector for HDD. However, the best one is a sentence where the writer sounds amazed that CPU's can have 8 cores. And here we are now looking at 64 core CPU's now. It just made me realize how far we've come in such a short amount of time. You can tell this book was initially written around 2013/2014. We've literally squared the number of cores in 5 years.

2 minutes ago, The_Mudgel said:

You can tell this book was initially written around 2013/2014.

Not if IDE was the HDD standard, that died off and was replaced by SATA in the early/mid 2000s.

Both of my Athlon 64 motherboards(socket 939) feature both SATA and IDE, and those CPUs released in 2004.

Look at literally any motherboard from 2010-14, I guarantee none of them will have IDE.

Have a look at Intel P67 boards, no IDE in sight. That chipset released in 2011.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I was going off an article about WD stopping the shipping of them that was published in 2013 along with a 2016 copyright. This guy's credentials also put him most likely in the networking side of computers which generally means enterprise and that means older hardware and standards.

13 minutes ago, The_Mudgel said:

I was going off an article about WD stopping the shipping of them that was published in 2013 along with a 2016 copyright. This guy's credentials also put him most likely in the networking side of computers which generally means enterprise and that means older hardware and standards.

smh sata? You mean the standard we used back in the day before m.2? ? (i'm kidding obviously) 

In fact, I'd say you couldn't be more wrong. The advancement of technology over the past... 2-5 years has significantly slowed down. A high end intel processor from 2014 had 8 cores and 16 threads at 3 GHz with a turbo of 3.5 GHz. A high end intel processor from today has.... you guessed it.... 8 cores and 16 threads at 3.6 GHz with a max turbo in the high 4.8-4.9 GHz range. Now, if you drop down to a 6 core 12 thread processor from 2014, you get roughly the same speeds as the modern chips are running.

Intel has done barely anything since skylake has been released. They've refreshed it and refreshed it and refreshed it, and now they're just throwing more cores on there like "well we can't make it any faster, so... uh.... more cores?"

16 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

The advancement of technology over the past... 2-5 years has significantly slowed down

Intel's hit a big stumbling block, sure, but AMD came out guns blazing and are claiming their next cpu's are set to steal some performance crowns from Intel, and not just in the price to performance category, gonna be interesting once reviewers get them. But Intel hadn't been pushing consumer cpu's anywhere near the extent that they could've because they had minimal incentive to, but they've been doing a lot in performance per watt, particularly important for mobile. When it's all said and done they can only manage to shrink current processes so much until they have to figure out a new process, but until they do their improvements may have to be somewhere other than transistor size

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

11 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Not if IDE was the HDD standard, that died off and was replaced by SATA in the early/mid 2000s.

Both of my Athlon 64 motherboards(socket 939) feature both SATA and IDE, and those CPUs released in 2004.

Look at literally any motherboard from 2010-14, I guarantee none of them will have IDE.

Have a look at Intel P67 boards, no IDE in sight. That chipset released in 2011.

Yep, I had built a computer back during 2009 or 2010 (can't remember exact year), and the board had both IDE and SATA.  The DVD/CD drive in the build used the IDE connection while HDD used the SATA.

Sounds like an older A+ study guide book the OP is looking through for sure.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

10 hours ago, campy said:

Hardware that can maybe run modern software from a compatibility standpoint but not much further. A 775 Pentium 4 and 6600GT with a gig of ram will probably still run Windows 10, it's just gonna suck.

Windows 10 is what is sucks, I mean even on modern high end hardware sucks and it's plagued with errors and bugs

the 775 P4 with the 6600GT would still be useful as a NAS with Windows 7 for example, not XP because its network protocols aren't compatible with the W7 ones

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

i know obsession and obsolescence, but what is this new word Obseletion? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Yep, I had built a computer back during 2009 or 2010 (can't remember exact year), and the board had both IDE and SATA.  The DVD/CD drive in the build used the IDE connection while HDD used the SATA.

Sounds like an older A+ study guide book the OP is looking through for sure.

Yeah, 2011 seems to be the point where IDE died off for good.

With good reason, SATA1 was miles faster than IDE ever was.

OP: I sincerely hope you don't plan to take the A+ 901 and 902 exams based off of what you learned in this book.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

23 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

SATA has been the standard since 2003 era I will admit it wasn't being completely utilized at first but by 2004-2005 all new systems were using sata 1 or 2

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

On 2/6/2019 at 11:37 PM, The_Mudgel said:

This guy's credentials also put him most likely in the networking side of computers which generally means enterprise and that means older hardware and standards.

Another thing I'd add: if your credentials are more network-geared, you shouldn't be writing a guide that's basically an intro to computers.

I love that we are talking about the mid 2000s here, since I feel like since multi-core CPUs hit the mainstream consumer market, the speed of obsolescence has slowed down drastically.

Honestly, I think of some CPUs from the 2009-2012 and how they are honestly still viable even today outside of extreme compute tasks.

We are talking about the AMD Phenoms, Core 2 Quads, Nehalem / Sandy Bridge Core i series, and AMD bulldozer/piledriver CPUs.

For basic computing, these are still capable and work fine on clean machines with SSD storage.

They are even honestly fine for some basic gaming if you are just targeting 1080p60 with lower settings in many cases.

You would have never seen this in the 90s or 00s. I remember when I first got into this and every CPU and GPU generation we were getting 50%+ performance bumps almost guaranteed, and in some cases much larger so, at the same price points of the previous generations. Now, it's almost not even that exciting, especially in the GPU space.

The hobby has gotten so cheap because of it. You don't need to upgrade every year to keep up with latest and greatest like back in the day.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

On 2/7/2019 at 5:37 AM, The_Mudgel said:

If you are talking servers they would have used SCSI and neither IDE nor SATA. So who wrote your A+ book?

It was more fun back when you would put a bunch of processors in to the same server instead of having multiple cores. Or the insanely fun blade servers!

On 2/7/2019 at 5:27 PM, The_Mudgel said:

So I'm currently reading a compTIA A+ study guide and you can tell that it was printed years ago. There are some good ones, things like IDE being the most popular type of data connector for HDD. However, the best one is a sentence where the writer sounds amazed that CPU's can have 8 cores. And here we are now looking at 64 core CPU's now. It just made me realize how far we've come in such a short amount of time. You can tell this book was initially written around 2013/2014. We've literally squared the number of cores in 5 years.

Probably around 2004-2006 this was made. Maybe earlier. 

Maybe even a little later.

Multi-core CPUs really weren't a thing until The Athlon64 X2s and Opterons got it.

I would say this must have been dated around 2009-2010.

This is when quad-core CPUs did start becoming more main stream (I remember I built my 2010 Phenom II X4 965 based rig back in 2010 and that was considered an awesome build) and Opterons started getting eight core variants.

That book is severely out of date for sure, mostly because A LOT has changed.

Really, I imagine any modern Comptia book is heavy Windows 10 / Windows Server 2012+ / Office 365 focused.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard